Acer Aspire 5740G Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by downloads, Mar 16, 2010.

1. asdfghha

asdfghha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi,
    are there any cooling fan which has higher CFM value from original?

2. Vi7o

Vi7o Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is anyone passed at win10 CU?

3. mimmo345

mimmo345 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, it's wonderful. no problem at all.

4. oaklund8

oaklund8 Newbie

Reputations:
    In an effort to extend the life of my laptop I've purchased one of these from the Chinese retailer Bangood. I'll post results when it arrives in a month or so. Really interesting product, though you lose your wifi card to install it. Basically it's an external graphics adapter that connects through the pcie connection your WiFi card lives in. My inner nerd couldn't resist.
    https://m.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-V...m_campaign=lowspecgamer&utm_content=lailixian
    Should note that it looks like only an Nvidia card will display to the laptop screen though. Amd will need an external monitor.

Andy53 likes this.
  5. d54321

d54321 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What are the difficulties you face with the ram? Any 1.5V DDR3 SODIMM will work fine. I found hynix 4GB and just bought Samsung 4GB for 15 EUR. Both are 1333MHz but are working fine in dual channel with i5-560m at 1066MHz

6. d54321

Reputations:
    On another note, has anyone tried and succeeded in installing mini PCI-e SSD into the spare slot (not the WiFi one)? Thanks in advance.

7. Andy53

Andy53 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very nice find !! I never thought the will make something like this.
    I'm very curios if it will work, let us now !
    But there are some things you must now,

phoenix222 did a same sort of thing in the past in another way but was unable to get any video out of the graphics card, see
    page 508 #5071 (Permalink didn't seem to work?), I think this will be the hardest part.

Mini-PCIe support only PCIe - X1, so you have to put in a very fast card, but who knows ?

Don't think our laptop support eGPU, so you always have to connect to external monitor.

The good news however, we have two Mini-PCIe slots, so you not have to remove Wlan.

Good luck and let us now !!! :vbthumbsup:

8. Andy53

Reputations:
    Never heard of mini PCI-e SSD, It's not the same as mini-Sata if you where Thinking that.
    And if you connect a drive on mini PCI-e, it must have a BIOS of it's one if you will boot from it.

Edit: About the RAM, some type's are giving problems, especially 1600Mhz type's.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  9. d54321

Reputations:
    Then I got it all wrong. There were many ads for mini PCIe SSDs, but as you said they also state mSATA. I am guessing that our second port doesn't support that since it was designed probably for a 3G modem.

There are these however, which state miniPCIe interface, but not much else.

10. Andy53

Reputations:
    Maybe your right, but like you say specs from this drives give not complete info, see
    https://superuser.com/questions/688...tween-mini-pcie-and-msata-interfaces-and-ssds
    But I now for Shure there must be an Sata controller chip integrated on SSD will it work on mini PCIe and if needed external 5V
    connection, see page 591 #5902 and #5904

And no, both sloths are free to use, I have a mini PCIe USB3 card in it.
    Did some experience with a mini PCIe Sata3 controller in it, but there was no way to boot from it, see page 542 #5416
    So, best thing is to put a second drive in DVD drive bay.

Last edited: May 31, 2017