Acer Aspire 5740G Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by downloads, Mar 16, 2010.

1. scud_svk

scud_svk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have in caddy wd640, that was originaly as main hdd in this nb,it works but, when it was as system disk, it works without parking heads and now I wait until it starts 1-2 seconds :(. Im using bios 1.28.

2. Sir Ferdek

Sir Ferdek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Now I'm gonna sit and wait for the break-in period to pass... What' else can I do? I've tried different approaches, reassembled my laptop 3 times up to now and have enough of this. Tommorow I'm leaving for holidays. See you on 6.08.2011

While reassembling my lappy I noticed that we have one unused miniPCI-E port. Is it possible to install small SSD drive in that little bay?

3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's probably possible but useless. You'd want to boot from SSD rather than from HDD and there's no option to boot from mini-PCIe.

4. sykrot

sykrot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems like i won't get my i5-560m :S ..I received the money back from the seller. Sent him email, will see what is going on.

5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Mobile Catalyst 11.7 released- links in the second post.

6. garfieldncheese

garfieldncheese Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my i5 430 m has started idling at 60 degrees since today morning.till yeaterday it was 38 degrees @ idle. task manager is showing 25% memory usage and the max memory usage by the processes is by firefox..wats up with that??

EDit: solved the issue. msmpeng.exe was causing it(windows defender)

7. woodyblade

woodyblade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok my install of the 560m processor and 6200 wireless card went good, well apart from I spread the thermal paste too thin using a plastic sandwich bag first time round.
    There were odd spikes in temperature, in the region of 20c a time which meant a stress test (Blend in Prime95) quickly had the CPU hit 90c and GPU (HD5650, stock clocks, 550mhz and 750mhz I think) 80c in about 30 seconds, so I opened it again today and reapplied thermal paste with a plastic card this time and have had the CPU sitting at about 80c for 10-15 mins now, it had quickly hit 65c then gradually rose to 75c until it has settled at 80c (doesn't seem to be getting any higher than that), GPU is running at about 70c so about 10c below CPU, but I sort of expect that because the i330m matched the GPU temps previously so the faster processor is bound to be higher, though 10c higher I'm not sure.

Processor idles between 42-48c, has the odd spike to 55c but cools down quite quickly, so quickly that I think the temp sensor is incorrect to a certain margin because as soon as I just stopped the stress test the temp dropped 20c in less than 5 seconds, then to 60c after about a minute it is down to 50c and nearing idle temps, the GPU was much more gradual and is resting between 50-55c, but at least I know the fan is working well :)

EDIT: I can only assume when the thermal paste has (cured?), the temps will get a bit better as well, the CPU has actually just dropped to 40c, same idle temp as my previous i330m and same temp as the HDD, good :)

As for the network card it is working well, connected to 5Ghz band on Router at full speed, though at 2.4Ghz it's between 130-144Mbps, yeah there are wireless g clients on the network but my brothers laptop (effectively the Packard Bell version of this laptop, same Atheros Card) is connecting to 2.4Ghz at 300Mbps with the wireless g clients on, so not sure why that is occurring but I'm happier using 5Ghz so doesn't bother me greatly just an oddity I wondered if anyone had an idea why.

So overall other than the thermal paste hiccup seems to be a successful upgrade, only the RAM and a possible HDD to SSD upgrade in the future (when prices come down a bit more) to go, though the RAM will be updated sometime in the next week, I noticed some RAM (8GB 1066Mhz Corsair) I was watching this time last month has come down from £80 to £45, I assume because there is a lot more supply than demand :)

EDIT: Oh and I'll thank Downloads for answering my questions earlier in the thread, when I was looking to upgrade both the processor and network card last week.

8. woodyblade

woodyblade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh yeah and by the way when I had disassembled the laptop I noticed something in there that I didn't recognise definitely, though I have an idea.

Under the heatsink assembly there is the CPU and GPU (obviously...) but directly above the GPU and to the upper right of the CPU there is another part that looks similar to the CPU and GPU but has a sort of sticky green rubbery plastic covering the metallic silver part of it, I suspect it is the Northbridge? But just want a sort of confirmation or what it could be.

Cheers

9. scud_svk

scud_svk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is chipset :D (same heatpipe as cpu, but it is first)

10. *Yawn*...God?

*Yawn*...God? Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On the Acer web site, one can download the "Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver", as well as the "Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor". The monitor is a gadget, as we know, and is also available at Intel's web site. However, I only seem to be able to find the driver on OEM sites, like HP, or as in our case, Acer.

Why doesn't the driver download exist on Intel's site? Is there a point to install the driver on the 5740 when the turbo boost is active without installation?

Edit: Nevermind, I did find it. However, my question remains as to the point of installing it, since it seems that turbo boost works with the driver installed or not.