1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Aspire 5738G heating problems

Discussion in 'Acer' started by MahmoudDewy, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought an acer aspire 5738G a couple of days ago with windows 7 x64 installed ,catalyst 9.9. When playing any game or using any 3D demanding application both my GPU temp. jumps up to 85-95 degrees C, and the CPU to 75-85 degrees C. according to GPU-Z my fan speed is always at 30% no matter how hot the lappy gets. I also wanna mention I didn't OC or use any modded stuff yet.

My questions are:
    -Are these normal temps since this is my first acer and my previous lappy which wasn't an acer with a Nvidia Geforce GO7900 never got past the 75 degrees barrier
    - Is there something wrong with the fan or it is supposed to kick in only at critical heat point

2. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Part-time Acer Moderator

Reputations:
    GPU-Z may be trying to read a desktop fan speed - do you hear/feel any difference in the fan speed on your machine?
    The Go 7900 might have had a more robust cooling system than the Radeon you've got, and thus remained cooler.
    Your temps are just getting into the danger zone - see if your fan intake and exhaust are dust-clogged (yes, even straight from the factory). If not, it might be worth your time to invest in a cooling pad or replacing the thermal compound.

3. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    Thanks for the fast reply mate,

-I dust clogged my laptop at the store actually because I live in Egypt and I know that our weather is crappy.
    -As for the fan I think I hear a difference but if the fan is working at 100% and the heat goes up like that in a 20 degrees room temperature that would be disastrous.
    - I bought the laptop 2 days ago and to be frank with you the nearest service center to me is 4 countries away and I can't trust anyone here in the thermal replacing thing because they are not qualified enough and I don't wanna ruin the warranty:(

Is there anything I can do ? I am new to both ATI and Acer so I don't know any tricks, also I was wondering if the one causing the problem was the processor or the GPU, I think both of them are 55nm so they should be relatively cool

I tried like 8 fan control softwares but nothing worked for me,ATItools and Rivatuner didn't work because of the lame windows 7 driver signing thing and I found out that ATIoverdrive doesn't work with the HD 4570

4. TehSuigi

Reputations:
    Well, you should be able to open up the bottom of the machine and use some compressed air to de-dust-ify the thing without voiding your warranty.
    I'd still look into a cooling pad like the Zalman NC-2000; something to increase the airflow of your machine.

5. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    I will try to do that ASAP hope that it solves the problem

6. masterfodo

masterfodo Newbie

Reputations:
    I am from Egypt too, i bought this laptop 3 month ago from compume, i never faced any problems with temp the Gpu and the Cpu never exceeded 65 degrees even when playing.
    I suggest you return it and get a replacement.

7. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    I bought mine from a company in Nasr city called IBS ... I will contact them tomorrow and ask for a replacement because constant 95 degrees is quite annoying ..... Fodo can you tell me what operating system you are running and anytime you are free, can u Screen shoot a GPU-Z Maximum temperature page of your Radeon fully loaded like after playing for an hour or something?

8. masterfodo

masterfodo Newbie

Reputations:
    Well i am running win 7 x32 but it came with win vista pre-installed, i played GTA IV and took screenshots for AVG. and Max temp for Gpu like you asked :)

Attached Files:

• avg.gif
      avg.gif
      File size:
      13 KB
      Views:
    • max.gif
      max.gif
      File size:
      13 KB
      Views:
  9. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot bro for your help, I know it must have been annoying keeping track of the temperatures :) mine came with win7 x64 pre-installed and I am exactly 12 degrees over your max (94 degrees C) I think the performance of the X64s is higher than the X32s I will try to scout around to see if the x64 operating systems heat up more than the x32s and if so I think I will install a Vista x32

10. TehSuigi

Reputations:
    They shouldn't - mine never has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.