1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Aspire 5516 5517 CPU UPGRADE REPLACE SWAP

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ecoholic, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ecoholic

ecoholic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    UGG as Much as it pains me to take this computer apart it is worth it in time saved working on the computer, Here is a link to flickr stream of Upgrade, http://www.flickr.com/photos/25792168@N00/sets/72157622393042218/detail/ I made a video of it and once thru editing will post it...One thing in the photo stream you must undo all screws on the back, also on the top there are three hidden screws under the middle of the monitor covered with black stickers, just pierce with cross head...Also you need to run a rather large screwdriver down the right side of the body and bottom each side of the pad to release the plastic snaps ps familiarize yourself with ribbon fastener technology the tan fitting moves back then the ribbon comes out vice versa Please post success with Processor types!:cool:

Lasted edited by : May 8, 2015
  2. HoorayHooray

HoorayHooray Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I am new to replacing/installing CPUs. I have done everything on a computer and laptop, disassembled them to the bone, but have not replaced/installed a CPU. Can you tell me how do you remove the CPU from the heat sink shown in your pictures. Is it stuck on there or screwed onto there? How much force do you use, what did you use to take it off the heat sink? Also, The thermal compound, is that just added the black square chip part? Thanks.

PS
    THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for posting the pictures with instructions, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE who has done this. Thank you for caring for others who want to upgrade their same model machines. Also, what is the highest CPU model that you can upgrade this motherboard with? How do you know what CPUs are compatible? Thanks.

3. jimbob83

jimbob83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good job, ecoholic!

HoorayHooray, the CPUs are AMD socket S1. Any TL-5x is good and they're easy to find, I went with a TL-58 for my eMachines E627 (same as Acer 5517). TL-6x should work as well but they're more expensive. These are 31 or 35 W processors vs. 15 W for the original Athlon TF-20 but the computer doesn't seem to have any problem with that. I went with a 31 W chip to minimize the heat. How to tell if the chip is 31 or 35W: check the CPU part number on www.cpu-world.com.

The CPU is not glued to the heat sink, there is only some thermal paste in between so the heat sink can be lifted off easily once the screws are undone. Just lightly tighten these screws when reassembling, don't use excessive force or you may break off the posts that the screws go into.

There are thermal pads on the video chip and some small purple cubes (on the 5517/e627) between the CPU and video chip. I removed the thermal pads and replaced with ICD7, which is made to be put on thick. Keep the thermal pads if you use any other type of paste. Clean the raised black part of the CPU with alcohol and the corresponding surface of the heat sink as well.

On reassembling, the only thing I had a bit of a problem with was not making sure the left speaker wire was properly routed. This caused the case to bulge up underneath where the keyboard goes so I had to back up and correct that.

4. jimbob83

Reputations:
    I just noticed the "pierce with cross head" part. No need to inflict any damage on any bits, those covers are just stickers and can be peeled off easily.

5. HoorayHooray

HoorayHooray Newbie

Reputations:
    jimbob83, thank you very much for that info! Its priceless. I am trying to get the emachines version of this laptop that will be on sale for Black Friday at my local Walmart for $198! I hope I get one! I hope ecoholic will post his video soon! Thanks again jimbob83!

6. jimbob83

Reputations:
    No problem, HoorayHooray, glad to help. And I paid $369 Canadian for mine so that looks like a heckuva good deal from W-mart!

I just remembered one thing from the disassembly that I think is worth mentioning -- when removing the top case from the bottom, the little plastic clips that hold the top and bottom together may be a bit tight. Not a big deal for the most part, but on the right side of the bottom part of the case, there is a thin strip of plastic that runs above the DVD drive, this strip looks like it could get broken off easily if you're not careful pulling off the top.

7. ecoholic

Reputations:
    Emachines version looks to have side audio ports dont know if this will be the same disasembly please post back, crushed with work but will get the vid up when I can, simple 140-180 degree turn of the screw counterclockwise frees the CPU.

8. jimbob83

Reputations:
    The side audio ports shouldn't make any difference. They're mounted right onto the motherboard with nothing else securing them so they simply come out with the motherboard.

9. ecoholic

Reputations:
    Heres the Video! First youtube was down (then it was too long for them) So I put it on my Myspace! Familiarize yourself with grounding and static electricity before doing this! I am doing this on a old metal pc case that is plugged in (not on) this makes it a good ground. Have a clean piece of cardboard to set the parts on, carpet for this operation is a big nono

Acer Aspire 5516 5517 CPU UPGRADE REPLACE SWAP
    width='425px' height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=101068617,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=101068617,t=1,mt=video" width='425' height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
    George | MySpace Video

This computer at AArons a local rent by the week place cost $1800+ over four years with the athlon 1.6 omfg: At best buy Mine was $330(to be fair the one at aarons had a webcam and maybe some other things)

Jim bob: Oops my bad looks the same pretty much was thinking of the ports on my 5230 :\

Lasted edited by : May 8, 2015
  10. ecoholic

Reputations:
    Let us know how it goes! Thx, G