1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Aspire 5516 5517 CPU UPGRADE REPLACE SWAP

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ecoholic, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ecoholic

ecoholic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    UGG as Much as it pains me to take this computer apart it is worth it in time saved working on the computer, Here is a link to flickr stream of Upgrade, http://www.flickr.com/photos/25792168@N00/sets/72157622393042218/detail/ I made a video of it and once thru editing will post it...One thing in the photo stream you must undo all screws on the back, also on the top there are three hidden screws under the middle of the monitor covered with black stickers, just pierce with cross head...Also you need to run a rather large screwdriver down the right side of the body and bottom each side of the pad to release the plastic snaps ps familiarize yourself with ribbon fastener technology the tan fitting moves back then the ribbon comes out vice versa Please post success with Processor types!:cool:

2. HoorayHooray

HoorayHooray Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I am new to replacing/installing CPUs. I have done everything on a computer and laptop, disassembled them to the bone, but have not replaced/installed a CPU. Can you tell me how do you remove the CPU from the heat sink shown in your pictures. Is it stuck on there or screwed onto there? How much force do you use, what did you use to take it off the heat sink? Also, The thermal compound, is that just added the black square chip part? Thanks.

PS
    THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for posting the pictures with instructions, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE who has done this. Thank you for caring for others who want to upgrade their same model machines. Also, what is the highest CPU model that you can upgrade this motherboard with? How do you know what CPUs are compatible? Thanks.

3. jimbob83

jimbob83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good job, ecoholic!

HoorayHooray, the CPUs are AMD socket S1. Any TL-5x is good and they're easy to find, I went with a TL-58 for my eMachines E627 (same as Acer 5517). TL-6x should work as well but they're more expensive. These are 31 or 35 W processors vs. 15 W for the original Athlon TF-20 but the computer doesn't seem to have any problem with that. I went with a 31 W chip to minimize the heat. How to tell if the chip is 31 or 35W: check the CPU part number on www.cpu-world.com.

The CPU is not glued to the heat sink, there is only some thermal paste in between so the heat sink can be lifted off easily once the screws are undone. Just lightly tighten these screws when reassembling, don't use excessive force or you may break off the posts that the screws go into.

There are thermal pads on the video chip and some small purple cubes (on the 5517/e627) between the CPU and video chip. I removed the thermal pads and replaced with ICD7, which is made to be put on thick. Keep the thermal pads if you use any other type of paste. Clean the raised black part of the CPU with alcohol and the corresponding surface of the heat sink as well.

On reassembling, the only thing I had a bit of a problem with was not making sure the left speaker wire was properly routed. This caused the case to bulge up underneath where the keyboard goes so I had to back up and correct that.

4. jimbob83

Reputations:
    I just noticed the "pierce with cross head" part. No need to inflict any damage on any bits, those covers are just stickers and can be peeled off easily.

5. HoorayHooray

HoorayHooray Newbie

Reputations:
    jimbob83, thank you very much for that info! Its priceless. I am trying to get the emachines version of this laptop that will be on sale for Black Friday at my local Walmart for $198! I hope I get one! I hope ecoholic will post his video soon! Thanks again jimbob83!

6. jimbob83

Reputations:
    No problem, HoorayHooray, glad to help. And I paid $369 Canadian for mine so that looks like a heckuva good deal from W-mart!

I just remembered one thing from the disassembly that I think is worth mentioning -- when removing the top case from the bottom, the little plastic clips that hold the top and bottom together may be a bit tight. Not a big deal for the most part, but on the right side of the bottom part of the case, there is a thin strip of plastic that runs above the DVD drive, this strip looks like it could get broken off easily if you're not careful pulling off the top.

7. ecoholic

Reputations:
    Emachines version looks to have side audio ports dont know if this will be the same disasembly please post back, crushed with work but will get the vid up when I can, simple 140-180 degree turn of the screw counterclockwise frees the CPU.

8. jimbob83

Reputations:
    The side audio ports shouldn't make any difference. They're mounted right onto the motherboard with nothing else securing them so they simply come out with the motherboard.

9. ecoholic

Reputations:
    Heres the Video! First youtube was down (then it was too long for them) So I put it on my Myspace! Familiarize yourself with grounding and static electricity before doing this! I am doing this on a old metal pc case that is plugged in (not on) this makes it a good ground. Have a clean piece of cardboard to set the parts on, carpet for this operation is a big nono
    <font face="Verdana" size="1" color="#999999"><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=101068617">Acer Aspire 5516 5517 CPU UPGRADE REPLACE SWAP</a><br/> width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=101068617,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=101068617,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://www.myspace.com/hypepix">George</a> | <a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com">MySpace Video</a></font>

This computer at AArons a local rent by the week place cost $1800+ over four years with the athlon 1.6 omfg: At best buy Mine was $330(to be fair the one at aarons had a webcam and maybe some other things)

Jim bob: Oops my bad looks the same pretty much was thinking of the ports on my 5230 :\

10. ecoholic

Reputations:
    Let us know how it goes! Thx, G

11. seeratlas

seeratlas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I managed to snag one of the Walmart versions of this laptop, the EME627-5279wm. Some observations. First of all, according to cpuid hwmonitor, this lappie runs amazingly cool for an amd based unit. Overclocked to 1836mhz using Setfsb, with my 7 dollar auxillary exhaust cooler, and running on the Max Performance settings (24/7 full comp speed) I see temps of 33 to 37C while doing general work, and 47 to 50 playing WOW (which this comp does very well). The comp is very quiet, well vented, no discernible hot spots. The keyboard is a very inexpensive unit, I doubt the decal type key emblems will last very long, on the other hand, the typing action is excellent with good feedback, spacing, and for my hands at least, perfectly situated for prolonged lap usage in a recliner :) , that is, the area set aside for the palmrest is exactly right for my usage. It is the most comfortable of ALL of my laptops to type on for prolonged periods, which is really saying something considering my extensive collection.

Additionally, the screen is quite good, a slight tweak towards 'vibrance' in the driver, does exactly that. Colors are excellent as are contrast, focus, and screen uniformity-very easy on the eyes. Be sure and enable ClearType :) The DVD works well, and the screen resolution suits the screen size very well. Not too big, not too small for prolonged viewing, just about optimal :) -again in that same recliner :).
    I contrast this with the strain that creeps up on you after awhile with the netbooks, even the 12 inchers.

The unit is cut to the bone on features however, only two usb, no built in camera or microphone, no bluetooth, and no gigabyte lan. However, I don't use those things, except for the usb ports and a simple replicator solves that problem.

Happily, the stock tf-20 is easily overclocked from 1600 to 1836 with Setfsb. Use SetFSB 2.2.134.98 and SLG8LP625T for your clock generator. On my unit the o'clock resulted in a single degree C increase.. :) Frankly, combined with the HD3200 I think *most* non geek types will be happy with the overall performance of the stock unit. However, the option of upgrading the cpu is seductive. I was hoping that more owners would post on the working cpus they have subbed in, however the only reports I've seen were on the TL50 and TL58. given the pita of complete disassemble /reassemble required to swap out the processor, its something I'd like to do only once LOL. Has anyone seen any positive reports on the RM series Proc's?

Seer

12. ecoholic

Reputations:
    "I managed to snag one of the Walmart versions of this laptop" what time you get there? I got there at 4:40 no more :( Guess dads gonna get the old 3610(at least it has a mic and a upgraded proc). I saw an extra usb internal taking apart my 5517 assume it is webcam? Emachines may lack this port as reported in http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=439220

Additionally 5517 has GIG lan

13. seeratlas

seeratlas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got to my local walmart at 2am, bout 4 people in front of me, one woman had been there since 9pm the previous evening..jeez..
    In any event, ended up they had 38 units which were still available at 4:00 am.
    By 4:15 tho, they were gone.

Regarding the equipment, the bezel clearly has a hole for the camera, in this case round but I see no place anywhere for a built in mic. I use a combination visible/infrared camera with integrated mic array tho, so no biggie.

seer

14. ecoholic

Reputations:
    infrared Nice you take off the coating to customise that one? Damn thx for the down low I'm in oregon, where was your Wal?

15. norbert26

norbert26 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have the acer version of this the 5517 series, configured as follows:
    160 GHZ cpu. 3GB ram 160 GB HD.
    no webcam (i dont use) and no bluetooth (i dont need it). i am happy with the machine except i wish i could tweak up the clock speed just a bit. i dont like the tear apart idea to swap it but tweak it up would be fine. the only problem is i dont have windows on the machine at all currently running ubuntu. i imagine you need windows based programs to tweak the clock right ?

16. ecoholic

Reputations:
  17. cory1234

cory1234 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone please help me with the eme627. I am having trouble removing the keyboard. It does not want to easily come out?

Anyone have any detailed instructions on how to do this? btw I've changed laptop keyboards before.

18. ecoholic

Reputations:
    there are two plastic nubs on each side

They are extremely tight...Well engineered! you can see me point to them in the video.
    Thin implement or small screw driver leveraged at the nub point is a good start and it is downhill from there.

19. seeratlas

seeratlas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Arkansas. got the infared cam from A4Tech. They make a bunch of useful accessories.

seer

20. cory1234

cory1234 Newbie

Reputations:
    I upgraded to a tl-58. I used prime95 to see how high the temps would get. The hottest it got was 70C, but that was with both cores at 100%..idles in the high 30s with artic silver 5.

Could you explain how to overclock a laptop? I'm typing on my q6600@3hz btw so I'm not a complete noob. I'm not really trying to overclock if its going to increase temps a lot..but if it only raises it by a degree or two why not :p