1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Aspire 5020 Series AMD Turion 64 Notebook Review (pics, specs) - FOLLOW-UP

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jos, Jun 2, 2005.

1. fidel73

fidel73 Notebook Enthusiast

Yes I've got an answer from realtek. There has been written thank you for your mail and try to new drivers 3.73a. I have replied them that it won't help and again send the description of the problem, also with HW and SW configuration. Since then I haven't received any email. Please send them the same email, they must know that there is really annoying sound problem on ATI HW (Radeon® Xpress 200 Series for AMD Processors).
    As I have seen from driver history of changes, there were many of issues solved with ATI chipset.

Mark

2. Jos

Jos Notebook Geek NBR Reviewer

Mark,

Yes, but that is the TOTAL number of dead pixels.
    Where on the screen do you have the dead pixels ?
    There may be only ONE (1) dead pixel in the centre rectangle when you divide the screen in 9 rectangles.
    But even if all the dead pixels are outside this centre rectangle, I would still try to return the machine.
    And also, about your calculation of the number of dead pixels: if you have 1 pixel that doesn't work at all, that counts as 3 dead sub-pixels ! (that's where the '3' in the Acer calculation comes from).

Jos

3. fidel73

fidel73 Notebook Enthusiast

Jos,

To be precise, I have 10 bad sub-pixels. Two are still white, one blue is in centre and the rest is outside of centre screen. They has red and blue color and can be visible on black screen.

But thank you for notice, I will try to change it.

Marek

4. smij

smij Notebook Enthusiast

Yep, the 3.73a drivers are an exercise in pointlessness.

I have sent Realtek an e-mail outlining this and am waiting for a reply.

I have also e-mailed Acer about the underclocked memory, it can't hurt to flood them with requests for a resolution.

Grievences aside, how are the rest of the 5024s holding up?

Jim

5. smij

smij Notebook Enthusiast

Hi

Does anyone with the 5024wlmi have an excessively hot running hard drive, even whilst doing nothing much?

Also, has anyone tried the new realtek AC'97 drivers (3.74)? They support hardware buffering but mp3's experience a few pops during playback, but maybe that's just my speakers.

Jim

6. REDFROG

REDFROG Notebook Evangelist

hi,
    dose anybody know if ATis new CATALYST MOBILITY drivers work with this machine ive put a new topic in gaming softwear because i dont think many people know about them yet, hears the link
    www. ati.com/products/ catalyst/mobility /index. html

i had to put spaces in it because it wouldnt work for some reason the site kept on shortening the url

7. ACER5024wlmi

ACER5024wlmi Notebook Enthusiast

Hi, I found out the solution to get a64tweaker working.
    You must have cpu-z running and the power profile set to portable/laptop before you start. If you get an error opening cpu-z just close and reopen.
    the memory settings i use are 2.5 (Tcl) 7 (Tras) 166mhz 3.9 (tref) and memclk 166 although I can reach 183.
    You can then set power profile to always on.

I have an extra 500 points in 3dmark03 now.
    memory bandwidth is now 2500 instead of 1950 (sisoft)
    Hope this works for everyone!

Oh found that when I install office 2k3 it disables some of my buttons inc wifi. i just use office 2000 anyway.

I managed to update my ati driver to cat5.6 with this http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/. I suggest you change optimal battery life setting in powerplay to balanced as it causes the laptop to crash or the gfx to corrupt.( you may need to be running on the battery to get the setting)

I get clicking from the hard drive but not much can be done with that.

The sound quality is poor i will probably get a usb2 sound card. looking at audigy 2 nx external or may wait and see what external x-fi comes out.

thats most of my problems solved i did get a one stuck pixal but it is now gone after i rubbed it with a soft cloth and had a moving image running.
    This is an excellent machine and I now use it more than my desktop, even for games.

regards Nigel (UK)

8. smij

smij Notebook Enthusiast

Hi

Nigel, I followed your directions for a64tweaker to the letter and got two hangs, one BSOD and my firefox bookmarks disappeared... needless to say it didn't work. For me anyway. Could there be something you did that I didn't?

Jim

9. ACER5024wlmi

have you updated the processor drivers? I have tested both 1.1 and 1.2. drivers from amd.

Just to clarify cpu-z 1.29 and a64tweaker 0.60 beta

Must have laptop power profile set and cpu-z open before you run a64tweaker.

10. smij

smij Notebook Enthusiast

Everything is as it should be but this time instead of hanging it rebooted. most odd. Are the AMD drivers you are talking about the version 1.2.2.1 from the AMD site?

11. ACER5024wlmi

1.2.2.2 on amd site or 1.1.1.8 found on acer uk site. I also have acer emanager and launch manager installed.
    I dont know how exactly I got it to work but if I dont use the above methods i get hangs and reboots.

12. smij

smij Notebook Enthusiast

yes, 1.2.2.2, my mistake. Tried the earlier drivers, still no joy. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong though, maybe it just wont work on my machine.

13. ikariwths

ikariwths Notebook Enthusiast

hello i'm new at this forum.does anyone know where to download the newest bios for 5024wlmi?i use to have v1.07 but unfortunatly downloaded and installed version 0.10!!!!from their site!!!
    as you can imagine its a very old version it was made 25/3/05
    i'heard that by putting the version 1.08 or newest you can install windows64bit whithout problems...drivers an be foun at this link
    http://global.acer.com/support/index.htm just go whre it says windows 64bit...
    im looking forward for someone to help me with this old bios...
    thank you all

14. ACER5024wlmi

Jim, if you want to give it one last try, use this method .

Do as before but change only the timings to begin with. look at cpu-z (memory) and the timings should show as new setting, press refresh in a64tweaker just to make sure.
    If the timings are set then try to change memclk to 166 (try 150 first if you want to make sure).

Nigel

15. ikariwths

16. Jos

Jos Notebook Geek NBR Reviewer

ikariwths,

It's a pity that you did not backup your 1.07 BIOS. As I only have 1.03 I would be very interested :)

I checked the WinXP Pro 64 bit drivers page on the Global Acer Support site, and they indeed mention a BIOS v1.08.
    So probably it is just a matter of (hopefully short) time before they release this BIOS.

Jos

17. ikariwths

it would be nice if you could send me the v1.03 because as i told you im with v0.10...
    i ve send 2 mails to acer support about bios and they are keep asking me what is the problem,i told them but they are sayiing that is dangerus for me to update my bios...
    i dont see much hope there...propably they are keeping the new bioses for themselves

18. phuner

phuner Notebook Enthusiast

I can send you 1.07 bios if you want. Just send me your email address.

19. ikariwths

my e-mail adress is ikariwths@yahoo.gr
    thank you very very much.
    i hope that acer would give the 1.08 so that i can give to you.
    im waiting for your mail

20. ikariwths