Acer Announces New Aspire One Netbooks

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jerry Jackson, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator NBR Reviewer

Reputations:

With so many 10-inch netbooks on the market it was only a matter of time until someone released a fresh spin on these budget-priced laptops. Today Acer announces the first 11.6-inch Aspire One netbook and a new 10.1-inch netbook that's thinner and lighter than ever before.

The Aspire One AO751h features a new 11.6-inch high-definition screen and full-sized keyboard. Despite having a larger screen than the original 8.9-inch Aspire One, the new AO751h is thinner than previous generation netbooks. The netbook’s larger 11.6-inch high-definition LED-backlit widescreen (16:9 ratio) display is large enough to have multiple windows open on the screen at the same time ... something that isn't too easy with smaller netbooks. Likewise, the full-size keyboard is easier to use and more comfortable than the keyboard on the original Aspire One.

[​IMG]

For those road warriors and students who might think an 11.6-inch screen is too big, the new Acer Aspire One AOD250 features a 10.1-inch display and a thinner and lighter design than its predecessor. This new netbook is ideal for anyone on the go and anyone on a tight budget.

The new Acer Aspire One models provide continuous access to the Internet via Wi-Fi 802.11b/g and select Acer Aspire One models come with the option for 3G broadband wireless connectivity. Acer claims that the extended 6-cell battery for the AO751h can provide up to eight hours of battery life, while the 3-cell battery can provide four hours. The AO250’s standard 3-cell battery is rated for up to three hours and 15 minutes of battery life, while the 6-cell battery can provide up to six hours. Both of the new Aspire One netbooks use the Intel Atom processors (N270 on the AO250 and N270 or Z520 on the AO751h) to help keep power consumption and prices low.

New Designs, New Colors, New Features

The new Acer Aspire One models feature a more streamlined design than their popular predecessors; they're not only thinner but showcase a new chassis design available in your choice of Diamond Black, Ruby Red, Sapphire Blue and Seashell White along with a metallic hinge with a colored accent. Both the AO751h and AO250 models weigh less than three pounds (2.75 pounds for the AO751h and 2.44 pounds for the AO250) for easy travel.

The Acer Aspire One AO751h uses a Multi-Gesture Touchpad that allows users to scroll, zoom in and out and flip through web pages, photos, spreadsheets and more. Both new netbooks feature a soft-touch palm rest to improve typing comfort.

Both models come equipped with 1GB of memory and a 160GB hard drive so users won't have to sacrifice storage capacity when using a netbook. Select new models will feature up to 2GB of DDR2 memory and up to a 250GB internal hard drive, but it is likely that those configurations will include Windows Vista rather than Windows XP.

The built-in Acer "Crystal Eye" webcam makes online chats and business video conferences easier than ever while the built-in digital microphone provides superior voice quality by keeping background noise levels low and minimizing echoes.

The AO751h and AO250 each include three USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet, VGA, as well as Bluetooth capabilities that can be activated with an easy launch Bluetooth key. Both new models also feature a multi-card digital card reader and the AO751h also features a second dedicated SD card slot.

Available Configurations, Pricing and Availability

The new Acer Aspire One AO751h and AOD250 are available in several configurations, but we've included two sample configurations below:

Acer Aspire One AO751h-1192 Specifications

• Intel Atom Processor Z520 (1.22GHz, 490MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache)
    • Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Home (Service Pack 3)
    • 11.6-inch WXGA 16:9 ratio Acer CrystalBrite High Definition LED back-lit TFT LCD (1364 x 768 resolution)
    • Mobile Intel US15W Express Chipset
    • 1024MB DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM Single Channel Memory
    • Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    • 160GB SATA 5400RPM Hard Drive
    • Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader and Dedicated SD Card
    • Acer InviLink 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
    • Acer Crystal Eye Web Camera
    • Two Built-in Stereo Speakers
    • Three USB 2.0 Ports
    • 6-cell Li-ion Battery (5200mAh)
    • 11.18” (W) x 7.79” (D) x 1” (H)
    • One-Year Standard Warranty
    • Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $379.99

Acer Aspire One AOD250-1042 Specifications

• Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache)
    • Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Home (Service Pack 3)
    • 10.1-inch WSVGA 16:9 ratio Acer CrystalBrite LED back-lit TFT LCD (1024x600 resolution)
    • Mobile Intel 945GSE Express Chipset
    • 1024MB DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM Single Channel Memory
    • Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    • 160GB SATA 5400RPM Hard Drive
    • Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
    • Acer InviLink 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
    • Acer Crystal Eye Web Camera
    • Two Built-in Stereo Speakers
    • Three USB 2.0 Ports
    • 3-cell Li-ion Battery (2600 mAh)
    • 10.17” (W) x 7.24” (D) x 1” (H)
    • One-Year Standard Warranty
    • Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $298.00

The Acer Aspire One AO751h 11.6-inch netbook line has a starting manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) of $349.99. Several models are avaialble with an extended 6-cell battery at an MSRP starting at $379.99. The Acer Aspire One D250 10.1-inch netbook line has a starting MSRP of $298. Models in these lines are available now.

Keep checking NotebookReview.com for full reviews of these netbooks ... coming soon.

Related Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Hey!! I can get you a Verizon Wireless card (just the card) and you can use your sled! My buddy has a CF-29 with it and he doesn't want it. The CF-29 card IS compatible with the CF-30 :)

He's willing to let it go for $150.

And to answer your questions:

1) Yes
    2) Yes, you would use your sled. The ATT module comes out entirely (I'm not talking about just the SIM) and you would put the Verizon one in and attach the antennas.

Let me know! :)

3. Zippy-Man

Zippy-Man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    CF-30's do not have the GPS on the sled. Are you sure that the sled is from a cf-30 and not a cf-29?

Cf-30's have the GPS internal under the keyboard unlike the CF-29's on the sled.

Maybe pics of the sled will tell us more.

-James

4. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I have both a CF-29 and a CF-30, and I assumed they were similar in design - I now know better. I pulled the sled out of the CF-30, and it has the WWAN module on one side, and the sim card reader on the other, but no GPS that I can see. So, now that I know it's a dedicated WWAN sled with an ATT module, can I just swap the module to a Verizon module, or do I need a complete dedicated Verizon WWAN sled. I know Verizon doesn't use a sim card, so is the rest of the sled compatible ?

5. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    The rest of the sled "should" be compatible i have not tried this personally someone else might have to chime in on that.

But since you have a CF-30 sled then it has a mini pci-e slot and a verizon card will fit in there.

If you want to experiment then get a card off ebay and try it you can get them pretty cheap now.

Here is a verizon MC5725 mini pci-e card that is REV. A.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-THINKPAD-T6...s=66:4|65:1|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:200

That will plug into the sled you have if it does indeed have a mini pci-e slot which it should.

Now that card is not from a panasonic but it should work i would think. All you can do is try it. It is only $55 and if it does work then you saved yourself a ton on cash by just buying the card and not a whole sled. Then you can sell the card you have on ebay.

If it does not work then re-sell it on ebay for what you bought it for and yo will only loose maybe $10.

I am very interested in seeing if a card like that will work. I am not sure if anyone here has ever tried before. I was going to buy a card and try one time but ended up selling the toughbook.

I do not see a reason it would not work as the actual modems from a panasonic sled do not say panasonic on them it is just a normal card like the one on ebay. I have a Sprint card in my cf-19 and it looks just like that card but says a different model number. (And ESN of course)

Also the sled in my cf-19 has a sim card slot but it is not used since i have sprint.

Also here is the link for that modem:

http://www.sierrawireless.com/product/mc5725.aspx

-James

6. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    James - Perfect - that is what he needs.

I thought that the CF-29 sleds also used the mini-pci-E cards as well...

I guess I'm wrong?

7. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    No most cf-29 sled use a proprietary connector that is unique to panasonic modems.

Not until rev. A did panasonic switch to the mini pci-e slots.

I have had a few different cf-29 sleds and non of them have had mini pci-e slots which made it impossible to upgrade to rev.A without getting a cf-30 sled.

There are a few cf-29's that came with rev. A sleds but they are very hard to find.

The problem with using cf-30 sled in a cf-29 to get rev.A support is that you cannot put GPS on a cf-30 sled as the place that the antenna sits is now occupied by a piece of pcb from the main board and there is no GPS connector on the PCB.

But to make it a little more confusing some CF-30's came with Rev 0 sleds and have the same exact sled of a cf-29. Most of the Rev 0 sleds on the cf-30 are early models and panasonic did not use rev.A sleds yet.

So it is Rev. 0 and GPS or Rev A on a cf-29 unless you do the em-408 mod.

-James

8. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    By the way cruiserlarry what is the model number of the CF-30 that you have?

As i forgot some cf-30's have Rev. 0 stock and do not use the mini pci-e slot.

If the sled is rev. A then you have a mini pci-e slot

-James

9. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly, the Verizon module in the link you provided looked identical to the ATT module in my CF-30 sled...and if your sprint module mounts in a sled with the sim reader and it doesn't use the reader, I'd think the Verizon module should work... and you are correct, the module has no Panasonic markings - it is a Sierra Wireless third party unit.

My model # is CF30FC8RCAM.

10. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Well you have a MK2 so by that time i think the only thing they used is Rev. A

If the modem in your sled looks like the one in the link i sent you then it should work without and issue.

If you do end up trying that modem let us know how it worked out. Most panasonic Rev. A modems pulled and put on ebay go for $150-200 just for the modem or $300-400 for the whole sled.

If we can use other sierra wireless modems then we can save some serious cash and have a bigger variety of what we can use.

I do not see a reason why it would not work. If i still had a cf-30 rev. A sled i would try it.

By the way nice CF-30 it has some great features. I could not pull up the whole model on the config site the 8 in the model number throws it off.

-James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.