Acer and Asus comparison needed

Discussion in 'Asus' started by desiGQ, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Pigeon

Mr.Pigeon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've owned both the Acer AS5672 and ASUS W3J. Here are my thoughts for what it's worth ..

Performance-wise, both laptops are great. The Acer (with similar specs as the W3J) was just as fast, very responsive. Both screens look great, I'd say the Acer was slightly brighter. Another thing I loved about the Acer was all the bells and whistles ! Bluetooth, DVI, Webcam, SD reader .. it's just loaded.

You'll notice I use the past tense above, thats because after 3 months I returned the 5672 (God bless Costco :)) and bought my W3J. Why did I return it ? BUILD QUALITY .. or the lack-there-of.

Now if you're just gonna keep this notebook at home all day, build quality is most likely a non-issue. In my case however, I carry it everywhere I go. After about a month the dead pixels started to show up .. I thought it's just a lemon, I'll return it .. So I get my second 5672 and the same thing happens: dead pixels.

I also noticed that the body scratched very easily .. this isn't a huge issue .. just aesthetics really.

The reason I chose the W3J was for it's performance and, more importantly, build quality .. The A series isn't as sturdy as the W's, but from what I've read, it's definitely better than the 5672.

BTW, the 5680 is the C2D version of the 5672.

If you're going to go with an Acer, check out the travelmates. The curvey keyboard might look a little weird, but those travelmates are much better machines. Check out the TM8000s series.

Hope this helps ! Cheers.

2. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't get a Travelmate 8204, I did a lot of research on that...I almost bought one instead of the Z96J because their performance back in September was just about the best on the market. But they are not built nicely at all. I played around with 5 of them at my work today wiping their HDDs and a couple were ok, the other 3 were really crummy in terms of build quality, feeling more flimsy. They also have some broken things, like TV out and some other parts - the quality one to the other is very very different, some get just about the best laptops on the market...others get worthless garbage. Thats the sort of thing I get when I buy cables and things at the dollar store, but you can't buy a spare of a $2200 laptop just incase the first one is bad.... Just my two cents along with about 7 days of research and 2 days of experience with the Acer machines..

Good luck though,
    Cat

3. JohnK

JohnK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I currently have an Acer Travelmate 800 and it's soon to be four years old. It still works o.k. However the build quality isn't very good. The second month I had it the LCD fram developed a crack and it had never left my desk. It has exhibited a wide varity of strange behavior (screen going blank, turning off by itself, refusing to start up), most of it was self correcting.

However after checking out a couple of Acers at local stores I decided to go with an Asus G1. Acers build quality just seems to flimsy, almost worse then Dell.

4. SRD

SRD Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Build quality on acers is below average. I would rate them well below asus. hell even HP and dell are better built than acer. I even owned the acer 8100 series i think it was for a week. for their top end machine at the time it was junk. the specs are good for the price. But i wouldnt trust them for long term. I have two friends with different model acers one has had the Motherboard replaced three times. the other one had the motherboard replaced once. so while im sure thats not the case with everyone asus is the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.