1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

ACER 6935G, My Own Complete Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by darika, Dec 28, 2008.

1. applefreakpeeps

applefreakpeeps Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    and yaa urs is not the same urs has the T9400 (a better processor with 6MB L2 cache but a higher TDP of 35W), mine is the P8700(25W TDP but 3MB L2 cache).. and I have a 500 GB 5400 rpm HDD whilst urs is a 320GB 7200 rpm one

2. darika

darika Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I read for the new 8930G with Quad Core CPU, they have also integrated a 9600M GT with 1GB of Ram. When I've read the test, the 3D Mark score (1024x768) was quite low compared to mine. If it's GDDR2, the performances may be much lower than the same GPU with GDDR3. It's quite a surprise when you can see the performances with the previous 8930G (with a 9700M GT) or 6935G (with a 9600M GT and CPU less powerful)
    Sorry the tests are in French but you will understand the graphics for sure.

So the question is : Does the GDDR2 make the 9600M GT much more slower than with GGDDR3? It's almost 50% less powerful!!! Waiting for other tests from other websites...

3. applefreakpeeps

applefreakpeeps Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    lol.. I follow french :) Acer seriously needs to be taken to task for incorrectly advertising the GPU as GDDR3 on the website and also on the offer brochures being distributed locally here... the GDDR3 9600M GT is practically speaking abt 20-30% faster than the GDDR2 version in games and other 3D intensive apps

4. Doowstados

Doowstados Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great review! I'm seriously considering nabbing one of these if they go on sale sometime soon.

5. darika

Reputations:
    The price has already been down. When I bought it, it was about 49 500 Bahts (1080 Euros) 5 months ago. Today, the price is about 42 900 Bahts (930 Euros) The price is very interesting I think. Even the Higher Model is at 55 900 Bahts today (1200 Euros). I don't think it's expensive :D

6. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just wish it had space for two physical HDD's :(

7. darika

Reputations:
    Yes, mee too :p I use only my notebook when I'm moving, because at home, I'm using my desktop which is much more powerful. By the way I'm thinkg to buy a new external HD with e-sata. The good point is the Gemstone 6935G has one e-sata port ;)

8. RickyC

RickyC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well last week i tried installing the new wifi and ethernet drivers again and I haven't had any problems since. So yay :D

I actually got the high end model for £850 (€920) in the UK in jan, and laptops aren't really that cheap over here. Not selling this model anymore where i got it though.

The only feature missing for the laptop that i kinda wanted was the 2 HDDs. I got too used to it with my old laptop and stream video data on the same HDD makes everything else go slow.
    Also a couple of other small problems like lose keyboard key, starting up problems, weird display drive issues when uninstalling, useless volume controls, audio can glitch, unable to install nTune and difficult to overclock but since i rarely game with high end games not much of an issue. Not too sure about the 3 usb ports all being together on same side either and also not too used to having my ethernet and AC input on the side instead of being at the back.

Other than that this laptop is awesome for the price. :cool:

9. darika

Reputations:
    I've got a bug problem recently and I think it's useful that you all has to be aware of it. It could look like as a big problem, but at the end it's not.

The problem is about the console media pad. I couldn't use it at all. It didn't feel any touch. I could see the volume light moving when I use directly the volume control on windows but wasn't able to interact directly by touching the media panel. I reboot many times, but it didn't solve anything.

I've been looking too many forum until some said to go to the Bios Setting by reloading the default settings, but it was useless.

Later I found someone said that we have just need to unplug the power supply and removing the battery for about 5mn. So I did it and everything worked back to normal.

This bug exist since the 6920G model. Not a really big problem, but I was almost ready to bring my notebook to the service support. If you meet this bug, you know now you won't need to bring your notebook to the service support.

I've added this problem to my review ;)

10. RickyC

RickyC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have to do that too but for another problem. Sometimes when my laptop restarts nothing comes up on the screen and it fails to do anything. I notice that the HDD light never flashes like it should do before booting up when this problem occurs. Its solved also by unplugging the power supply for about 10 seconds then switch it on and it should all be fine.

My media pad is always on hold for the fact that volume 15+ is normally too loud from my laptop speakers so volume controls aren't accurate enough to select what volume I want below 15.
    However that changes when i use Headphones, then i need to turn it up to 60+ to get a normal volume so controls are good enough then. Kinda strange.