1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

ACER 6935G, My Own Complete Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by darika, Dec 28, 2008.

1. cmick25

cmick25 Notebook Consultant

Hi! Two weeks ago I was thinking whether to buy Acer 6930g, 5735z, or Lenovo N500-they were all for the same price, give or take 10 £...I was almost 99% sure I will buy 6930g, because it was the prettiest (I was buying laptop for my sister in Germany!) but I went to some stores to try how both Acer's laptops "feel" and I was disappointed to see that keyboards were quite flimsy, with significant amount of flex in various area...So, I decided to go with Lenovo N500 and that machine is so firm, it has even better, sturdier keyboard than my Thinkpad R61e...If only Acer paid a little bit more attention to quality of keyboard area...

2. enteng.kbsote

enteng.kbsote Newbie

Hi there...

Does anybody experienced issues while installing the newest Nvidia driver on 6935G?

3. darika

darika Notebook Consultant

I've installed the last nVidia driver 185.81. No problem with display driver but I got a problem with the HDMI Audio Driver. It did a conflict with the ACER Audio Management. To solve this problem I've only reinstalled the previous HDMI Audio driver.

4. wandyhee

wandyhee Notebook Enthusiast

i just installed new 185.81 driver, and this is first thing I found after restart the system.

[​IMG]

any idea to solve it? do I need to reinstall the driver for realtek?

5. Carab

Carab Notebook Enthusiast

wandyhee, remove the Nvidia sound drivers you installed with the 185.81 drivers.

by th way have any of you 6935/g owners upgraded to Windows 7 RC?
    i still have Vista 32bit and was wondring if I do a clearn install Windws 7 64bit, will the restore factory settings(F10) still work

6. applefreakpeeps

applefreakpeeps Notebook Enthusiast

yeah 7 RC works great on mine :) have installed nvidia's WDDM 1.1 supporting 185.18 beta drivers for Windows 7

7. benyeap

benyeap Notebook Enthusiast

Just done OC 9600M GT with the bios override method. Now using NVidia 185.81 beta drivers. However I am getting lower 3DMarks06 score but with GPU-Z all showing increased clocks, why is this so guys??

8. x64Man

x64Man Notebook Consultant

Do IE8 web pages seem to be jerky (not smooth scrolling) to you with these drivers.

9. Carab

Carab Notebook Enthusiast

Is F10 working?

10. wandyhee

wandyhee Notebook Enthusiast

thanks for advise, I disable nvidia audio and everything's back to normal

11. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

From WP forum thread:

Update on the 2nd HDD bay cover. Rang Acer parts suppliers, first they were amused as to why the cover wouldn't fit after installing the 2nd HDD. After some research they found that there is actually a second lid as well. (Part number 42.AVB07.001) for those interested in buying one. Cost is $33.00[$AUD] and you can order it through the Acer parts reseller in your local city.

It's bit stupid to buy a laptop and they wouldn't supply you the cover. But oh well I ordered one, will update you all once I get it and install it.

12. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Anyone know about if the 6930G dual hard drive is the same situation for 6920G and/or 6935G (since this is in 6935G thread, I assume you can buy the cover and it will work in the 6935G)?

13. myname

myname Notebook Enthusiast

Anyone else have problems not being able to monitor cpu temp? I've tried coretemp, hwmonitor ,and realtemp, all show the temp not changing (stuck at a certain temperature, which might be different when the computer is restarted.

I have updated to bios 1.1, but I didn't try to monitor cpu temperature before.. so I don't know if that's the cause, or something wrong with the heat sensors.

14. darika

I'm using Speedfan to monitor CPU/GPU/HD temp

15. Niedermayer

Niedermayer Newbie

How does the 6935 compare with the 5935?

I'm buying a new notebook but it seems to me that the specs for both are quite similar except that the older 6935 has a slightly better gfx card then the newer 5935. Will either have any advantage over the other at let's say, making 3D models in Maya?

Any thoughts?

16. mookoo

mookoo Newbie

The 6935 has a completely different layout to the 6930 images earlier in this thread. There are two covers on the bottom of the 6935, one very small one giving access to the TV tuner and Intel 5100 WiFi Cards, and one huge cover giving access to the CPU, GFX, Memory and a single HDD. There is absolutely no space for a second HDD :(

I will wait a few months and get the Crucial P256 SSD which will turn my 6935 into a rocket machine. 256Gb will be plenty for me as I only use it for movies & gaming. My movie library is stored on several external 1TB NAS drives so if I ever did want to travel with it (unlikely...) I just would copy over a few of my favourite movies.

I did an upgrade (i.e. not a fresh install) of Windows 7 and it's great. All the Acer apps work fine and boot times are bit quicker. I made a set of the Acer restore DVDs first though ;)

One word of warning though; the Acer bio-metric app throws you out into Windows randomly whilst watching movies or gaming in both Vista and Windows 7. I uninstaled it and all is now fine. This may also be an issue on other Acer models with bio-metrics. It took me a while to figure out what was going on though....

I love this machine. Both Left 4 Dead and CoD 4 (my current favourites) fly with most settings on high at 1366x768 (the native res of this model). Movies look flawless on my Panasonic AX200 projector via HDMI too.

17. darika

It's seems that the GT 130M is a bit faster than the 9600M GT for about +15%
    See the benchmark HERE
    Anyway, the 3 cell battery of the 5935G will not give you the opportunity to do a lot of things against the 8 cell battery of the 6935G...

18. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Would be great to have a 2nd harddrive bay. If not, do it via an hotswappable optical bay caddy as explained here.

19. minz37

minz37 Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and also a proud owner of an Aspire 6935G which have served me well since I bought it end of 2008. :cool:

However, I have a question for you fellow owners.

I'm trying to install and run nvidia system tools (latest v6.02 from nvidia website) and I've run into a couple of problems. During installation of the app, I've found that it causes my laptop to hang. After several attempts and getting the app to install successfully, running any part of the app causes my laptop to hang as well. I've tried this with official nvidia drivers and modded drivers but still no luck.

So my question is, do any of you encounter this problem as well? Are there any solutions? I want to install nvidia system tools as I read it is a complete tool with good overclocking and monitoring utilities for nvidia hardware. I know there are other tools for these purposes but I just want to try it out. Too bad it's currently not working for me.

I'm currently using rivatuner for gpu software level overclocking and monitoring and bios flashing using nibitor and nvflash for hardware level overclocking.

P.S: Another question. For all owners currently on overclock(gpu), what is the maximum stable clock you have achieved(especially the gddr3 gpu memory clock) and using which driver and software? I'm a gaming performance freak and I'd like to squeeze every ounce of performance from this gpu regardless of the risks involved with overclocking(yes, I'm well aware of the risks :p ). I'm currently overclocking to 625MHz core/1550Mhz shaders/900Mhz memory using rivatuner. :D

Thanks in advance for your replies. :)

20. RickyC

RickyC Notebook Consultant

I can't install it either. Crashes everything when installing, and it appers when i've restarted but crashes when trying to launch.