1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

ACER 6935G, My Own Complete Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by darika, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Eugene91

Eugene91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol.. wandyhee they replaced the parts for free?? wow!.. LoL.. im amazed :p

i hope they will repair my lappy like yours if something like dat happens to me :D

2. darika

darika Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have updated the main page with my first review of my ACER 6935G with Windows 7 RTM Ultimate 64Bits. I have added some same tests that I've made before with Vista 64Bits.
    I hope it will be again very useful for all of user of this great Notebook!

3. Eugene91

Reputations:
    @darika

are you using 6-cell or 8-cell battery?

4. darika

Reputations:
    This is a 8 cell battery. This is the model given with this notebook.

5. Eugene91

Reputations:
    wow no wonder you are able to achieve more battery life then i can..

mine is a 6-cell last me 2h 45m+/- on powersaving and 50% brightness

Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2 of course.. Interested with Win7 waiting for the official ones :D

6. darika

Reputations:
    I'm sure you can gain some more battery life with Windows. You may increase your battery life about 10-15%.

7. achutngpakhtoon

achutngpakhtoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guys i hope you can help cos i have run into some big trouble with my acer....supposedly two days ago my gf spilled some water on my keyboard....well now the situation is that i managed to clean up the keyboard...but i think some water managed to seep to the touchpad and well half my touchpad is dead =( 1) the vertical scrolling doesnt work 2) the left click doesnt work 3) the tap to click doesnt work....the rest does work.....i dont think i wud b covered for this in my warranty....shud i still give it a try or shud i try fixing it myself??? any idea would be helpful...cheers

8. darika

Reputations:
    Always the GIRLFRIEND:p
    I'm not sure the warranty will cover it but you can give it a try. Replacing the keyboard will be easier and it's not expensive. In Thailand, the keyboard replacement is about 1070Bahts (30 USD). If you try by yourself you may make more damage. I think 30 Dollars is not so expensive to avoid more damage and get a brand new keyboard.

9. Hiddenkill

Hiddenkill Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    darika, I don't know if you or somebody already posted

but have you ever tried to open your notebooks to clean the cooper (from the cooler)?

these days I tried to open... however looks like that I have to unscrew all the notebook just to clean it.

10. achutngpakhtoon

Reputations:
    alas darika we men have no one else to blame :p btw my touchpad is not working the keyboard is fine, so dont i need a touchpad replacement?? and the 30 dollar replacement available in Thailand is through the official Acer repair center? if yes then im hoping it would be around about the same over here...thanks

11. darika

Reputations:
    I never tried to open my notebook... I don't want to lose the warranty...

12. darika

Reputations:
    Yes, it is from an official Acer service center.

13. Hiddenkill

Hiddenkill Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    oh... too bad

well, I opened because when I bought my notebook
    I bought at the same time a 2GB Memory RAM.

so I had to open it.

14. Eugene91

Reputations:
    i think it wouldnt void your warranty. Give Acer service a call.. :D

I opened mine.. since acer highpoint malaysia says it's ok to do so..

an-ex acer technician also told me it was for 1 week warranty .. LoL..

15. RickyC

RickyC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've opened mine when it was going a little funny and the warrenty was still valid. Its pretty simple too I had no problem and never opened a laptop up before, though my old toshiba didnt survive after when trying to fix something :/

16. achutngpakhtoon

Reputations:
    thanks darika but in the UK my warranty comes under the outlet i bought it from...i will be sending mine to them once im done with my uni work....

@HiddenKill: well i dont think u might have voided ure warranty...as long as u havnt cut thru any of those "Warranty void" stickers then ure safe.

17. darika

Reputations:
    I've been able to make a new test of Battery Life by playing Video under Windows 7. To play the videos, I've used Media Player Homecinema.

Movies played :
    - Fast and Furious 2009 (1080P)
    - Blood the Last Vampire 2009 (720P)

I've been able to watch these movies without to play the end credits for about 3h10mn.

So if you look back at the Windows Vista video test, Windows 7 offers 30mn more of video playback.

18. Yidakee

Yidakee Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

I've had this laptop for several months now. I got it for two reasons, first, its a great great hackintosh (SL titanium solid, almost Macbook Pro clone, far better than any Windows!), and M$ gaming, which is brilliant as e-sata is just as fast internal drive.

I've been eagerly waiting for Battlefield 1943 to be released, and bought GTA IV which after two months of tweaking I finally got it to work for hours on end, without hick-ups, frame drops, overclocks, etc, all medium to high settings, around 28fps "steady", even in high explosion settings, etc. I have the GDDR3 version, 6935g 864g32mn to be precise. In the end, I found the problem was two thing, one was CPU temperature, second is GTA which is very badly ported. Once its fixed, its great, until then its a headache. I cannot confirm this, but I really think disabling pagefile completely solved the issue, but I went a "99 permomance tweaks for Vista" guide I found. All very similar to XP normal tweaking, but Nvidia Control Panel tricks and pagefile did the trick.

One of the issues I later discovered, was that CPU throtteling made the game stutter like crazy. When around 66-68 (never went over that) the game dropped to 12fps. This is easily fixed with a good cooling pad. No need for hi-end stuff, a good regular one drops 8-12 degrees and that is more than enough.

Anyways, I've found out that VMX technology is locked in BIOS by Acer... WHY ?!?! Service help is NOT helping me. They just dont answer. Anyone know, or please check, if version 1.13 of BIOS wakes this feature up please?

Where can we find info on this BIOS update?

Anyways, just have to say, darika, you're cute as a button (sorry, couldn't resist, I know this is tacky...) and thank you very much for your thread! It certainly helped me decide on this laptop early this year.

And a big "hats off" to Acer, made a fantastic laptop, I used to hate and speak really really badly of Acer. I am ultra picky when I spend cash, and now I have one.

Very very recommended!

19. darika

Reputations:
    ACER BIOS 1.13, BETTER GRAPHIC SUPPORT?

I've updated the BIOS wich was 1.10 to the new bios 1.13.
    Since the update, the Windows 7 Score for the Graphics rating has a little bit increased from 6.3 to 6.4. This is the only thing I've noticed from now.

I will let you know if there's any other improvement.

The main page of my REVIEW has been updated.

20. achutngpakhtoon

Reputations:
    Darika i need to follow ure guide once i reinstall windows cos my vista score is an unflattering 5.4 despite my latop being higher speced than yours