Acer 6920g. 9500m to 9600m gt swap

Discussion in 'Acer' started by justin6920g, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justin6920g

justin6920g Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Howdy,

I managed to snag a minor graphics card upgrade for my laptop and installed it. I changed up my 9500m to a 9600m gt. Everything seems to be going great, just needed an HDTV to get it going :p For some reason it would only initially post video through the HDMI.

Anyway, my issue is, while the machine runs great in windows I can't for the life of me get it to display anything before that. Which includes the BIOS boot screen, the BIOS itself, the Boot Menu or even my Windows XP disc.

Like I said, games run great, windows runs great.

Just hoping you guys might have some pointers or ideas.

Cheers

2. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Waitaminute...Justin, you realize what you've done?!
    You've proven that the 9600M GT upgrade is not only possible on the 6920G, but DOABLE!
    Not even the folks on the MXM-Upgrade.com forums could pull that off!
    Insta-rep just for that, amigo!

So let's try to get your issue sorted out, because your post is a little confusing.
    Are you able to see anything on the laptop monitor, or do you have to use HDMI?
    Vista and games run OK, but anything before that isn't shown?
    Download GPU-Z and post a screenshot here.
    I'm interested to see if you've got GDDR3 memory (which should give you a sizable boost in performance) and an Acer VBIOS (which might fix the pre-Vista issue).

3. fred2028

fred2028 Sexy member

Reputations:
    Next step is to get a 9700m or even a 9800m into a 6920G! =) Once that works I'm a happy man.

4. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Unlike the 9600M GT, those are NOT possible. Different form factors (MXM III vs. MXM II) and far higher cooling and power requirements.
    The best you could hope for would be an overclock from the stock clocks (500 core/1250 shader) to 9650M GT (550/1325) or 9700M GT (625/1550) speeds.
    Outside of actually getting a 9650M GT card that's compatible, of course.

EDIT: Oh, and Justin? Could you please post a link to where you got the 9600M GT card?

5. justin6920g

Reputations:
    Just yanked it out of an 8920G I had at work (all smashed up).

Wouldn't get too excited yet though, not getting to the BIOS is a major issue. At least for me anyway.

EDIT: Sorry for not being too clear. When I first put the card in nothing showed up at all. System was POSTing but nothing was showing up on the screen. So I plugged the lappie into an HDTV and managed to install the driver and everything was fine after that, everything shows on the laptop screen without needing the TV.

Only issue is that it doesn't show ANYTHING before the Windows log in screen, not even the green vista loading bar.

6. justin6920g

Reputations:
    Sorry for the wait, heres the screeny, not sure what the VBIOS is >.<

[​IMG]

7. justin6920g

Reputations:
    Well I took a look for a vbios from Acer an was unable to find any. Is there any way to tailor one to do what I need it to do?

EDIT: Sorry for the bump

8. paten

paten Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you took that card out of an 8920G, then it already has an acer vbios. You don't have to worry about that. I would check the system bios and update it if a newer version is available from Acer. If you run CPU-Z, it will show you your bios version. Compare it against the latest one, available here, to see if yours is current.

CPU-Z is here.

9. justin6920g

Reputations:
    Flashed up the BIOS, didn't seem to help. Still showing a black screen from bios to Windows loading screen then works fine.

10. justin6920g

Reputations:
    Guess ill keep it as is, still having issues with not being able to see the BIOS on boot. Guess if I want to install XP then ill just borrow a friends HDTV :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.