Acer 5750G Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ellric, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ellric

ellric Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    * Thread Index *
    • Thread Changelog
    • Quick Review
    • How To (Disassembling)
    • Mods & Tweaks
      • Power Profile Tweak
      • CPU/GPU Repaste
      • Unlocked Bios
      • Undervolted vBios
      • GPU Overclock
      • <STRIKE>EC firmware mod</STRIKE> (It never saw the light :D)
      • Hackintosh Installation Guide
      • Fan Controller Utilities
    • Temperatures Tests
    * Thread Changelog *
    • 12/09/2015:
      - Temporary replaced the modded bios links list with a unique Mega folder link. I will add it back as soon as I've a little free time.
    • 18/05/2014:
      - Added some gaming tests.
    • 17/05/2014:
      - Added several GT540M modded vBioses.
    • 24/01/2014:
      - Added "5755G" to the thread title. Since these notebooks are quite the same (all the guides written there can be used for 5755G too), and the other "5755G owners lounge" is a bit poor of contents, I've decided to include the AA 5755G here;
      - Added new GT630M modded vBios with higher voltages (Overvolt), for more oc stability.
    • 23/01/2014
      - Added Fan Controller Links
    • 22/01/2014
      - Added Temperatures Tests section
    I've noticed that this notebook owners lounge is missing, so here it is.

[​IMG]

* Quick Review *

5750G is a budget gaming notebook from Acer. It's equipped with 2nd generation Intel Core processors (i3/i5/i7) and nvidia geforce 500/600 series graphic card (520M, 540M, 610M, 630M). Its market price is about ~400-500 usd.

Pro:
    • Low Price
    • Powerful hardware
    • Relatively light weight
    • Comfortable touchpad and keyboard

Con
    • Low quality materials (plastic)
    • Low quality screen (1366*768, Glossy, horrible angle of view)
    • Low quality cooling system

Notebookcheck full review: Link

My Specs:
    i5 2450M 2.5 Ghz (2.8/3.1 Turbo Boost)
    Nvidia GeForce 630M, 2 Gb DDR3, 672@800
    6 Gb Ram DDR3 1333 Mhz
    750 Gb HDD
    3 x USB 2.0

* How To *

Here a video I've found on youtube which shows very well how to disassemble this laptop:

N.B. The procedure for disassembling the Acer 5755G is quite the same, the only difference is the keyboard: you have to remove it, after removing the upper case.

Service Manual Link (Acer 5750G): https://mega.co.nz/#!NhIyHRzQ!NP_9PRqDKyyXrcj_lvDE4j-bFg8uK7glrSguNbN8UsY
    Service Manual Link (Acer 5755G):https://mega.co.nz/#!0oYmQbTL!PzIJKNptZ8m5NkefVxb5r7G-2f4FCIePRkhnj6D4wWI

Here another video which explains how to replace notebook screen without take apart the whole laptop:

Compatible LCD Screens:
    • AUO/B156XW02 V6 (HW:0A)
    • AUO/B156XW02 V2 (HW:4A)
    • Samsung/LTN156AT02-A11
    • LG/LP156WH2-TLEA
    • CMO/N156B6-L0B
    • CPT/ CLAA156WB11A

* Mods & Tweaks *

Power Profile Tweak: As I said, this laptop overheats a lot, especially when turbo boost mode turn on. This usually isn't a problem while using cpu intensive applications (video Editing, 3D editing, video conversion, etc...) but becomes frustrating while gaming (due to extra GPU heat) because the laptop may easily shutdown to prevent hardware damages. Fortunately on this notebook most games don't need full cpu speed for working well (since the whole system is bottlenecked by gpu), and we can easily underclock it by Windows power management.

[​IMG]

Set "Maximum processor state" to 99% for disabling the turbo boost feature. Usually 80% is enough to play almost all games (depending on your processor speed, take a minimum of 2Ghz cpu speed as reference). With this little trick you will be able to lower the averange cpu temp.

CPU/GPU repaste
    Change the thermal paste on cpu and gpu (gpu sometimes has thermal pads, but only on some models) can help to lower the averange hardware temperature. I suggest to use Prolimatech PK-3, Artic Cooling MX-4 or Artic Silver 5 for CPU and Ybris Thermal Pad Ultra for GPU.

Unlocked Bios: P5WE0121 by Akbar (Advance, Power, UEFI Support, Hackintosh patch)

Undervolted vBios
    These bioses have been modded by me for having lower GPU voltages. This means less heat, longer battery life and sometimes more 3d application stability. All bioses are based on Akbar modded one. If your gpu becomes instable (crashes or black screens during gaming or benchmarks) then your card needs an higher voltage (or must be underclocked). Every single card (even same models) can bear different voltages at same clocks. So don't surprise if your friend achieve to overclock his card to 850 mhz with 0,85V, and you can barely put it up to 700 mhz. Every chip has his own OC margin.

Nvidia GeForce 630M & 540M

File name format: P5WE0121_ByAkbar_GPUMODEL_ModType(2DVoltage-3DVoltage)

*Warning* Flashing bioses that provide a substantial overvolt can be extremely dangerous. Do it on your own risk.

Folder Link: http://bit.ly/1UUyGBm

Note: If you want a custom voltages setting that is not present here, please send me a pm with your bios link (if you don't want the unlocked one) and a GPU-Z screenshot! I'll add it as soon as possible.

GPU Overclock
    Simply use MSI Afterburner. Overclock on nvidia 520/610 is totally useless, since they're too weak for running well whatever demanding games. Actually I don't reccomend to oc the gpu at all. FPS boost in demanding games is very low (5-6 fps) and considering the possible side effects of overclocking, I think it's not worth it. However, during my test, I could push my GT630M to 850@1700@990 with 0,98V 3D voltage profile. Everything else above was instable.

<STRIKE>EC firmware mod for better fan curve (Work -not- in progress):
    I'm trying to mod the embedded controller firmware for allowing the fan to spin to its max speed at lower temperature than stock one (everyone who flashes the bios at least one time knows how fast this fan can really spin), but currently I'm in a dead point. If someone wants to give some help please reply to this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/729876-ec-firmware-mod-acer-laptop.html#post9345311</STRIKE>

Edit: Still in a dead point after months. However, due to the new updates by acer (see the end of this thread) this mod doesn't make sense anymore.

Hackintosh installation (To Do)
    I'm not sure if I can post here a guide, since it's not totally legal to install OS X on a non apple notebook. I'll wait for a moderator's permission.

* Fan Controller Utilities *
    Acer Fan Controller Utility (5750G)
    Direct Download Link: ftp://ftp2.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_5750G/fan/FanController_V1.0.0.2_Release.zip

Acer Fan Controller Utility (5742G and 5755G)
    Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkvusgejibejt0v/FanController.rar

Thanks to Gaboros for his amazing work! Original post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/729899-acer-5750g-owners-lounge-2.html#post9539897

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    d3rdon likes this.
  2. ellric

ellric Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Temperature Tests

Stress Test 1:

Tools: MSI Kombustor (Gpu Burn-In, OpenGL 3, MSI, 1280x720, Windowed) + Intel Burn Test (High);

Notebook Settings: Turbo Boost On, GPU Stock Clocks (0,88v 3D Profile);

Fan Controller: Normal;

[​IMG]

N.B: I've unfortunately took the screenshot in the exact moment when the cpu clock has fallen down to 2ghz for some reason. However, it's not due to throttling, the cpu stayed at 2.8ghz stable almost all the time.

Stress Test 2:

Tools: MSI Kombustor (Gpu Burn-In, OpenGL 3, MSI, 1280x720, Windowed) + Intel Burn Test (High);

Notebook Settings: Turbo Boost On, GPU Stock Clocks (0,88v 3D Profile);

Fan Controller: Full On;

I've deleted the screenshot by mistake .-. I'll upload a new one asap. MAX CPU Temp: 84°, MAX GPU Temp: 73°

Gaming Test 1:

Game: Tomb Raider (2013)

Game Time: ~30 min

Notebook Settings: Turbo Boost On, GPU OC 825/1650@900 (Core/Shaders@Mem) (0,88v 3D Profile);

[​IMG]

Gaming Test 2:

Game: Payday 2

Game Time: ~30 min

Notebook Settings: Turbo Boost On, GPU OC 825/1650@900 (Core/Shaders@Mem) (0,88v 3D Profile);

[​IMG]

Gaming Test 3:

Game: Dark Souls 2

Game Time: ~90 min

Notebook Settings: Turbo Boost On, GPU OC 825/1650@900 (Core/Shaders@Mem) (0,98v 3D Profile);

[​IMG]

Gaming Test 4:

Game: Batman Arkham Origins

Game Time: ~60 min

Notebook Settings: Turbo Boost On, GPU OC 825/1650@900 (Core/Shaders@Mem) (0,98v 3D Profile);

[​IMG]

More tests coming soon!

3. Siauka

Siauka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, very useful thread, especially undervolted bios for 540M because now I don't suffer from throttling while gaming ;)

4. xerman

xerman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the Rom mod, works like a charm with my GT630.

Im very interested in the hackintosh guide!
    Also, a list of interesting tweaks we can do now with our hacked bios will be great, so we can customize and improve the performance of the laptop...

Best!

Xermán

5. xerman

Reputations:
    Another question, have you been able to make the 630M work in the hackintosh version? For what I have read it's impossible to make that model of card work...

6. ellric

ellric Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Glad to hear that! If you experience any stability problem just let me know, and I'll add a custom 540M vbios with slighty higher voltages!

Unfortunately the most interesting feature (custom fan control) doesn't work at all :( All bios settings related to the fan control seem to be overrided by something else (probably by the ACPI). Most of the other options are useless and potentially harmful if changed from default settings. There are few interesting things, like cpu core management and UEFI options, maybe I'll write a little guide about them as soon as I have a little free time.

For hackintosh guide, I've replied to your pm!

No, unfortunately the discrete card can't work under Hackintosh, because OSX doesn't support the Optimus technology (Apple uses a proprietary hardware solution for iGpu and dGpu switching).

For everyone: Take a look at the update in the fist post!

7. ellric

ellric Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Post One Updated with Acer Fan Control utility link.

8. xerman

Reputations:
    Great great news. Tried it right now, and it seems to work, the fan goes really fast.
    Any other user with experience with it?

Ellric, do you think we don't need to "underpower" the gpu anymore? What do you recommend?

Best!

Xermán

9. xerman

Reputations:
    Btw, we are waiting anxiously for your **intosh guide! ;)

10. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I didn't notice this part of your post back in the day. Feel free to post such a guide. As long as you purchase OS X it's fine with us.