Acer 3820TG's display does not work

Discussion in 'Acer' started by PromeReZZu, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PromeReZZu

PromeReZZu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The problem is completely different, it is a hardware problem, as I have described during my last post. So nope, does not work.

Either the backlight or the invertor, but not sure whch + are they supplied with a new LCD screen?

2. PromeReZZu

Reputations:
  3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly there is no inverter on LED based LCDs.
    Both displays you linked to should work.

4. PromeReZZu

Reputations:
    Hello once again,

I've started disassembling the laptop, removed keyboard, LAN cables, speakers, touchpad cable etc; the instructions sayhttp://support.acer.com/acerpanam/Manuals/acer/2010/ServiceGuides/SG_Aspire_3820T_3820TG_04282010.pdf that before I move to LCD-screen, I would have to remove harddrive module, 3G module, Wlan module etc.

However, I saw a video (Laptop screen replacement, LCD screen replacement guide [ACER Aspire 5534] - YouTube)
    where those steps are unnecessary.

So, which one should I follow?

5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Acer service guide is a full disassembly guide so it's not strictly necessary to follow all their steps if you're planning just an upgrade.

6. PromeReZZu

Reputations:
  7. pillowshot

pillowshot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any of the screens you posted should be compatible. There isn't just one particular type of screen that will work. If you look at the first link they say that they send you any brand of screen (randomly it is assumed). In your case you have an AU Optronics screen but there is no reason why you can't use a Philips or LG or whatever screen.

8. eriksson25

eriksson25 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I am in the same situation. Have a 3820TG where the screen is totaly black no mater how I do it, reseting and unpluging and so on. It wirks perfect hocked up to a VGA/HDMI screen so its nothing wrong with the screen itself.

How did you find a particular cable/connector that was broken? You have any picture of it? I have dissambled my computer now so I am looking at the screen.

9. PromeReZZu

Reputations:
    I just received the laptop back from the repair, here is what happened.

I disassembled the laptop (do NOT do that!), until I got my whole LCD module out - I took it to the store, whee they said that the "green part is broken", and that I need to replace the whole screen and that the new screen + repair would cost around 250€.

But, I ordered new LCD screen myself and took it with me to the store where it was repaired.

BUT

Apparently mine new screen is a bit less quality - whenever I type or move my laptop, my screen blinks slightly. However, it's quite a minor problem.

So, I did not myself find that the screen was broken, but I asked at the store.
    What should you? I would take it to the (proper) repair, ask for price, think which kind of screen you need, and think if you are able to change the screen yourself.

Ask more if you need help!

P.S: Also, big thanks to the people that posted here and helped me.

10. eriksson25

eriksson25 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oki, thank you. I have changed screens before so its no big deal. was just a litle bit interested if you had found anything particular broken. But then I know. There are screens around for €60. Its for a friend, not my computer and its rather €60 than €600 for a new computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.