Acer 1810TZ 3G Edition - Pictorial

Discussion in 'Acer' started by traveller, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi2all,

I've been around NBR for a while now, but I have to admit I'm new here @acer World :p

I arrived here as the culmination of my humble search for a hi-rez Netbook came to a successful conclusion, having chosen the 1810TZ! What was I looking for in terms of a hi-rez Netbook?
    • Panel size: 11.6" - 12.1" (anything smaller and you will probabaly have a headache trying to read & type on a 1366x768)
    • Battery [charge] Life: 5hrs with a "hidden" battery (i.e., 4-cell), 7hrs+ with a stick-out (6-cell). Surfing mode (WLAN on), medium brightness, BT off.
    • Good Keyboard with "long" right-shift key. Preferablly Island (chicklet) style.
    • reasonably-sized and reactive touchpad (Synaptics are always a favorite)
    • Three (3) USB ports, VGA, RJ45, SD/SDHC/MS Pro card reader
    • 1.3MP or greater Webcam (0.3 is a bit low now a days), onboard mic(s)
    • Bonus: Decent built-in speakers
    • Bonus: HDMI port
    • Bonus: ExpressCard/34
    • Bonus: built-in HSPDA (UMTS) - WWAN / Broadband, etc...
    I also mentioned in my thread a desire to run 720p video smoothly. Asking for more in a Netbook is probably pushing one's luck... !

Well, those of you who are already familiar with the "ZH7" models (1410 / 1810) will know right off the bat that I didn't get everything I wanted with the 1810TZ, but it came damned close, close enough that I have no regrets with my decision ;)

I managed to get my hands on a white "3G" version of the 1810TZ offered in (ah, some parts of) Europe which has the package/skew numbers 413G32n / LX.PK102.002. It certainly wasn't cheap, tbh, but in the end, I think the extra bills was worth getting 3G, BT as well as a bit more memory & storage.

I titled this post with "pictorial" because although it may seem like I'm out to write a review of sorts, I feel that reviews should be left to the pros that deal with a multitude of Net/Notebooks on a regular basis. If you haven't checked them out yet, I can recommend the following 1810 reviews:

Our very own Phil's Review of the SU3500 1810T
    Notebook Check's German and English reviews of an 1810TZ (with SU4100)
    Trusted Reviews also reviewed the SU4100 version.
    Laptop Magazine's review of the newer 1810TZ (with SU7300)
    And very similar to the 1810T is the 1410T with SU2300 reviewed by Liliputing

Moving along, what I did do is to take a bunch of pics of my 1810TZ and "comment" each shot with relevent info & observations. I did a similar "pictorial" way back when for my Dell M 1330 XPS which was (& still is) highly appreciated by the local [Dell] community so I hope that the same will hold true for the Acer community :D

Traveller's Acer 1810TZ Pictorial

Here's a few samples to get you started, but do note that the original images are much larger (1280xnnn) so that you can "zoom" in to get better details.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least, I will make a few comments regarding this "3G" version since it's not very well documented on the Net.

The 3G version comes with a HUAWEI EM770W PCIe mini-card, the necessary antenna (which runs up to the panel area for better reception) and a SIM card interface, tucked behind the battery (as seen above). Due to the fact that Acer has kept all additional costs for the non-3G 14/1810T(Z)s to a minimum, there is no end-user* provision for adding a WWAN PCIe mini-card yourself, as said models are lacking not only the SIM-card interface, but the antenna and even the necessary PCIe mini-card socket :eek: I found this all very annoying considering that Dell ships their "non-3G" XPS line with all-of-the-above so that all you need to do is toss in the WWAN module... :-/

*Tbh, there's one fellow who managed this amazing feat by actually soldering on the appropriate socket, adding the antenna & SIM interface. But this mod is not for the faint at heart... ;p

The last difference (afaik) is the physical switch located just underneath the indicator lights. Although everyone has a WLAN (WiFi) switch and (most likely) a secondary switch for Bluetooth, the 3G model's switch can be toggled in two directions; left-side toggles WWAN and right-side toggles WLAN. Furthemore, you almost need a "decoder" to figure out the different states of the WiFi indicator, lol:
    • solid orange when WLAN on and connected to an AP (regardless of WWAN status)
    • slow flashing orange when WLAN on and NOT connected to an AP
    • quick flashing orange when in use (data transfer)
    • flashing blue when WWAN on, WLAN off
    • solid blue when WWAN in use, WLAN off
    • off when both WWAN and WLAN off.
    FWIW, the HUAWEI module has the addded benefit that it is "natively" supported by Windows 7 which means you can connect without the need for added SW. As I am one of the few here that didn't immediately wipe out the HDD (and thus the bloatware), I did note and have used Acer's own connectivity SW which does provide an amusing status graph, if nothing else. Alas, this module does not provide any "added benefits", such as the module I recently bought for my M 1330, which also offers GPS functionality :D

Last but certainly not least, WT...H is "Seashell white"...? I like to think of myself as hobby photographer and so terms like white balance and so on are no strangers to me. However, I will admit that I had a hell of a time trying to "render" the actual color of this model. The best I can offer you, aside from a useful description like "...uh, off-white?" is to compare it to white. Assuming we know what white really is... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. johnw91498

johnw91498 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whoa, you put a lot of thought into this post. Well done...:cool:

3. PatrickVogeli

PatrickVogeli Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    awesome picks!

4. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thx :eek:

I'm still fustrated with the color rendition, but at least you can get a closer idea what it looks like...

5. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    FYI,

someone from the states asked me (via a Flickr comment) where I bought my unit. I bought my model from a German-based Computer store called Alternate.

However, I just checked their website and it looks like they've dropped this package and have substituted it with the 1820PTZ-414G32n at the same price... .

This "tablet" version is also a very attractive model but not to be taken as a 1-1 trade off because this one does not incl. WWAN support, not to mention you will get a heavier and thicker Notebook.

I guess the real seller is / will be the SU7300 package. Alternate (will) sell that package too but I assume that one will also be available in the U.S. I'm not sure if it will be available in sheashell white, though... :confused:

6. yus9

yus9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great posting!
    Very informative, especially about the 3G capability.

BTW... the 1420P Tablet soon to be released in Taiwan
    does NOT have a functional 3G receptor.

This, in spite of the largest telecom company here, Chunghwa,
    advertising reduced pricing for the Tablet (with a 3 year contract).
    See the brochure.
    Chunghwa provides a free USB 3G module. Which does have the advantage
    of being swappable into more than one computer.

7. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thx :)
    Yeah, I don't get it... the market apparently doesn't care for broadband on the go... :-/ Personally, that's why I went for an ultra-portable, so I could go online from just about anywhere w/o any hassle. It's nice that Starbucks have APs, but I still want/need more access options ;)

8. Axisofevil35

Axisofevil35 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'd love to get my dirty hands on ur 3g acer ^_^

9. guruguy

guruguy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any idea where to pick one of these up? I can't seem to find a store

10. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess that depends where you're located (i.e., States, EU, etc.). I heard from several U.S. members that white's not currently being offered over there... :(

To make things even worse, my own dealer said that the exact model reviewed above is no longer being offered by Acer... :eek: and as I wrote elsewhere, that means there was a window of only two weeks between "in stock" and "no longer available"... :confused:

Keep in mind that I'm referring to the WWAN models (UMTS / HSDPA / 3G); you can still get a white SU4100 1810TZ here. Or "preorder" a black 1810T (SU7300)...

Sorry, I wish I had better news for you (all)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.