1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Access Connections - "Waiting for IP configuration"..?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by betalyr, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betalyr

betalyr Notebook Enthusiast

Logging online worked earlier today, when I just got my new ThinkPad, but it doesn't work anymore :(
    It works on my XP machines (like the one I'm using right now), but doesn't work on Vista.

I tried on both wireless and wired connections through my router (Linksys WRT54G), and it still doesn't work. It just constantly says "Waiting for IP configuration" and eventually "Connection Failed".

I tried using this, but it still didn't work. I've restarted my laptop several times..

Also, it stopped working right after I got the BSOD from installing Comodo. (Then I had to reinstall, and then uninstall.) And I have Ad-Aware and AVG installed on here.
    I also I think I ran something like "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe /Prefetch:1" in the command prompt, if that makes any difference. (Because Firefox took minutes to load for some reason..)
    There are no hardware problems according to device manager.

Can anyone help me? :(
    Thanks in advance!

2. sryder

sryder Newbie

With the exception of XP (now SP3) vs. Vista, my Linksys WRT54GS started "going south" after I accidentally upgraded my AVGFree to 8.0 Internet Security. I totally lost network visibility from my Thinkpad X60 though XP and Vista machines on my home/office network continued to work fine. To get back on I ended up doing a System Restore, but since then my Wired Connection seems to drop about once a day, and Wired access in intermitent at best. When I lose the Wired Connection (or reboot) the ONLY way I can connect after the IP failure is to unplug my Linksys Router. After it reboots I can see my wired connection. I also had problems connecting to a LinkSys router via wireless at our time-share. However, when recently on a business trip I was able to connect to the Cisco wired router in the Fairmont, and the wired and wireless connections provided by the San Jose Convention Center (i.e., I could not reproduce the failure when in the company of real network experts). I am contemplating replacing my Linksys with a Netgear or D-Link router which will probably fix my home access, but then I have not fixed the problem with traveling to our time-share. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.