1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

AC adapter disassembly

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by kiziu, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiziu

kiziu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. I'm looking for instruction how to disassemble the AC adaptor for my P-7811 FX and not to spoil it too much, maybe even not at all. It is ADP 120ZB. I'd like to add on\off switch, so I won't have to plug the cable off. It's not a problem for me to add it, I just don't want to spoil it while trying to disassemble it myself. Thanks very much for any tips.

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wouldn't recommend it, you could end up damaging your computer.

3. kiziu

Reputations:
    As I said, it's not a problem for me. I have some knowledge of electronics, my father repairs this kinda stuff, so it's highly unlikely that I could damage my laptop. All I need is a how-to for disassembly, the rest will be easy ;)

4. elijahRW

elijahRW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I remember when I bought my p7811fx they said that if my power adapter broke then it would cost over $200 for a new one.

I'm not sure if this would work but I know there are some kinds of switches that you can put on the cord itself that turn on and off if you could find one.
    I don't recommend your method but it's your and you can do what you choose;)

5. kiziu

Reputations:
    This might work, but switch on the case of adapter looks much better than switch on the cord. There are no screws, so it has to have some plastic hooks, but where are they and how to open the case without spoiling plastic or breaking them.

6. E-wrecked

E-wrecked BANNED

Reputations:
    Hmm.. That's kinda, out there a bit. I've never heard of such a thing. Why would you not just disconnect it from the rear of your computer?
    or, unplug it at the adapter? As opposed to tearing apart a sealed power supply..it may be much easier to just add an in-line switch to the power cable itself. One that you can securely attach the wires to an internal housing. And, then you don't gotta worry about fires, sparks, and ruining your rig cause you happen to throw off the circuitry's resistance.. Just an idea. :)

7. fiziks

fiziks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't opened up one of these power supplies, but I have done some work on small power supplies for underwater lighting applications. My advice is to leave it alone. If you really want to mess about with it, buy a refurbished Targas 180W universal laptop adapter for $35 and mess with that. Then when you realise you've screwed up, you're only out $35 and shipping. You ever wonder why a 120v house switch is that big? Why would you want to put one on a brick :). Seriously, a power cord switch rated for 150w is a much safer option. If you can find a black one, no one will know its an add-on.

8. elijahRW

elijahRW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or if you can plug your ac into a wall outlet that is wall switch so you can just flip it on and off-Just and idea;)

9. kiziu

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I'm from Poland. In here, we don't have switches built in wall sockets. It seems that my only option is on-cord switch.

Don't worry, small on/off switches can handle up to 10 Amps for 230V (voltage in Poland), bigger ones up to 16 Amps. After disassembly I could have only one problem, with placing the switch so it would fit and not to make short circuit with anything.

Not a good idea. Even when disconected from laptop, it consumes about 25 Watts of energy, I measured it.

10. Phasio

Phasio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You sure? If true, then thats GREAT information.. Ill make sure to pull the plug on the adapter when not using the laptop - before I thought that it wasnt using power when disconnected from the laptop (except for the small green light in the adapter).