Abysmal temperatures, yet Dell upper management claims otherwise

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by nicholaslimck, Jan 15, 2019.

1. nicholaslimck

nicholaslimck Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've owned my Alienware 15 since launch. Well, I've owned a 15 R3 since launch, but am currently on my third one due to issues with the previous units. I was pleased with Customer Service for being willing to replace my computer in the past with an extremely painless process.

But now, I am experiencing absolutely terrible temperatures on my 15 R3 [7820HK/1070 at sustained ~99C/85C while gaming]. I've made multiple calls to tech support at this point (probably totalling over 5 afternoons wasted calling), but for my most recent one the agent has informed me that "upper management told us that the computer readings are still within the specifications of the unit".

Is there any way to actually get customer support to take proper action? Within the past year and a half of owning this specific unit, my heatsink has been replaced about five times with absolutely no improvements to the thermals. Repasting this unit myself in the past seemed to do absolutely nothing, so I'm not willing to open it up myself yet again to get the same results. This issue has frustrated me for over a year now, and I'm getting very tired of wasting hours at a time with tech support, only for upper management to look at my temperature readouts and go 'Thermal throttling on the CPU? Eh, that's within spec. Tell him to GTFO.'

2019-01-11.png 2019-01-11 (1).png

Wouldn't be surprised if my high battery wear was also due to the high temperatures.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Might be a long shot, but i'd try contacting Intel support about those temperatures and ask them if it is "within spec". If they tell you its too hot, provide that evidence to Alienware. I wouldn't be surprised if they just give you the usual copy/paste answer about how they don't deal with OEM issues, but its worth a try.

If you can't get them to help you though, you will probably have to open it up and modify the heatsink to get it within a more reasonable range.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Papusan Didn't Dell say 93C as thermal throttling in their support site and offer heatsink replacement if it is crossing 93C.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Of average temps not max. I've heard it to be 95C. Honestly depends on who you talk to on the phone.

Vistar Shook and Kalen like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Awful. And I wonder how many out there with + a year old Aw systems run their cpu well above 95C without know what's up.

No point. Dell hide them self behind Intel's 100C thermal limits. 100C is the golden standard nowadays. Puke on it!

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/Alienware-15-R4-Overheating/td-p/6089563
    Kaby lake Overheating = average 95C. Dell know the next model would run hotter... Hence the change from 93C to 95C. Money saved on tech support.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    5 years from now, 150C will be acceptable as thermal throttling.

Falkentyne and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I doubt it. Rather that the acceptable will become more like this... As long you don't run into shut down or BSOD = No tech support help or better say NO repair. Then all good:bigtongue:

Falkentyne, Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    So its like buying a rabid dog that will bite you couple of days afterwards.

Falkentyne and Vistar Shook like this.
  9. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i never thot the newer tripod designs have so many issues even on stock, atleast the R2 had only BDPROC issues mostly.. R1 had Hybrid Power / BDPROC issues.. but this is insane for those who bough the TRIPOD design..

10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At this point dell looks like they are wiping their hands with you. Your best bet IMO is to send it out to Iunlock and let them do the service to get your machine to where it can run nice and smooth. That’s what I would do to ensure the computer can last longer. At this rate with those temps your computer will not game smoothly and eventually BSOD from all this high temps. Sent it out to Iunlock ASAP and I am sure if he can’t get to temps he has shown on his repaste thread, he would not charge you for the service and just the shipping.

Falkentyne likes this.