ABS / TC Problem

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by millermagic, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    So far it's been suggested that my ABS Module is bad.

Here is the problem:
    When I start out (first time after starting car), I'll get up to 45. Once I hit 45 the brake light on the dash (P)(!) comes on ... the red one that comes on when the parking brake is on or the brake fluid is low.

For about 2-3 miles that will be lit up then the Spin light (green spinning wheel) will start blinking along with the ABS light. After this, they will go out until I stop.

For the time being, I've unplugged the ABS/TC fuse because I don't want the pedal to start pulsating for no reason. And, to be honest, I've always felt safer without all of this crap so ... by having this problem, my car is safer.

2. Tippey764

Tippey764 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think for anyone to assist you we need to know what you drive.

3. Muscle Master

Muscle Master Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Trick question

If your lose control of your car... and it starts to spin out or fishtail.. what do you do ?

4. millermagic

Reputations:
    2001 Taurus

It's a front wheel drive car ... it only understeers straight into the ditch :p The traction control isn't anything advanced, it just cuts engine timing and reduces power to stop the wheels from spinning. ABS on a slippery road is just dangerous.

5. Muscle Master

Muscle Master Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol what I meant by that question is that... pumping the breaks (while suggested in the drivers manual) in a car with ABS is pointless and very dangerous... ABS pumps/blips the breaks 20-40 times a sec to prevent wheel lock up

So if your going to leave the ABS disabled.. God forbid you lose control of the car, you will pump/blip the breaks till you regain traction. but on a FWD car I doubt you will ever lose control unless your tires are bald

thought I passed this info on cause most aren't aware of this

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I've lost control in a few different FWD cars. One time was at 70mph and luckily I pulled out of it, the other was probably around 10-15 and I went right off the road. The one that went off the road had ABS and it engaged, but still didn't do anything on the ice/snow.

But other times I have had ABS save my bacon. But traction control hasn't even gotten much support from me.

7. millermagic

Reputations:
    That's the first problem I have with ABS. I'm a pumper. ABS is designed so you don't lock up and so you can stand on the brake and still turn. I don't do that so I usually work against it.

On snow and Ice, the stuff is dangerous. If one needs to rely on a computer assist to drive in the snow and ice ... maybe one should reconsider driving in the snow and ice ...

8. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Early traction control systems really weren't very impressive. It was only with the advent of stability control about 10 years ago that the feature became really worthwhile. When you think about it, it's amazing that an inexperience driver can slam on the brakes on an icy corner without spinning the car. Stability control has really revolutionized winter driving.

9. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually, even without ABS, pumping the brakes is a terrible idea. In cars without ABS, it's best to utilize threshold braking. Don't pump the brakes under any circumstances.

So you're saying that when a car pulls out in front of you at an intersection, you'd prefer to plow straight into it rather than steer around it while applying maximum braking?

ABS works if you know how to use it. Most drivers don't know how to use ABS, which is why most systems have brake assist. People simply are too timid in applying pressure to the brakes. Now that stability control has taken care of weight transfer issue and it's nearly impossible to spin a car, the best advice is simple:

"Stand on the brakes and steer!"

Actually, that's not true at all. If a driver pumps the brakes, or is too timid to fully apply the brakes of a modern car, the fault is with the driver, not the ABS.

10. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I wouldn't immediately say the ABS module itself has gone bad.

Instead I would have the speed/spinning sensor system checked first. I don't know how it's made in your car but sensor giving false information would cause all sorts of warnings go off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.