About the pull the trigger on the EVOC 16L-G-1080

Discussion in 'MSI' started by XiCynx, Sep 7, 2017.

1. XiCynx

XiCynx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone! So today I took the time to go through @Galm's Reseller Guide and check out every option possible for laptops that would work for what I needed without being ridiculously overpriced or not getting services for the price I was paying. In the end, HIDevolution was the choice I made. Below is the laptop that I decided to get. It was a big toss up between the HIDevolution EVOC 16L-G-1080 and the EUROCOM Tornado F5. They both are 15.6" GTX1080 laptops which is what I was looking for. The prices came out to roughly the same price (within $35), and HIDevolution squeaked it out with their extra over the top services that aren't found at Eurocom. I plan to buy this laptop probably within the next month, and was wondering if anyone had any additional tips for me prior to submitting my order or after my order is submitted. Let me know, thanks!

EVOC High Performance Systems 16L-G-1080 15.6"

Screen
    - 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) IPS Antiglare Matte Type Display - with nVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology

Display Warranty
    - 30 Days Zero Defective Pixel Warranty (perfect panel guarantee)

Processor
    - Delidded - Unlocked, Under Volted and Overclocked to 4.7GHz Intel Core i7-7700K

Wireless Cards
    - Intel Wireless-AC 8265

Video Card
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 X w/ G-Sync Technology

Memory
    - 16GB (2 x 8GB) Dual Channel DDR4/2400MHz

M.2 SSD Slot 1
    - Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2

2.5" HDD/SSD Bay
    -
    2TB Seagate FireCuda Gaming 7mm SSHD (ST2000LX001)

Operating System
    - None

Power Adapter
    - 330W AC Power Adapter

Battery Options
    - 1 x 8 cell battery - 75.24Wh

Audio
    - Dynaudio Tech Speakers Speakers x 2

Back-lit Gaming Keyboard
    - Full-color Backlit Programmable Gaming Keyboard (US English)

Branding
    - No Logo on LCD Cover and Bezel

Warranty and Service
    - 1 Year HIDevolution Limited U.S. Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support

--------------------

Prema Custom BIOS
    - Prema Custom BIOS - Latest Updated Version

Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + IC Diamond for Delidded CPU
    - Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra 100% Metal Thermal Interface + IC Diamond on CPU, IC Diamond on GPU

Bottom Service Panel Ventilation Mod
    - The Bottom Service Panel Ventilation Mod will lower your CPU temps up to 8 Celsius from standard by allowing more cool air to flow through the chassis.

--------------------

Total Price Before Tax and Discounts: $2,814

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 6:48 PM
    Huniken and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You're going to have to be more specific regarding what sort of advice you're looking for. What is your use case?

Also, the prices of the upgrades are what they are. HID buys its components in bulk, so whatever reduction you're seeing by not choosing specific items is probably much closer to what they actually paid. What you can get is a small discount for being an active member of this forum. When you've settled on your final configuration, put the system in your shopping cart, then email @Donald@HIDevolution with your forum user name. He will create a new quote and apply the discount.

3. XiCynx

Reputations:
    Sorry, this is my first enthusiast laptop (aka real high-end), and I wasn't sure if there were any "tricks of the trade" I should know about in regards to making sure I get the best performance or longest life out of this monster. It's primary use will be gaming, it will see occasional travel but 75% of it's use will be hooked up to two monitors on my desk. I do plan to code and things of the sort on it but that's just normal everyday use. Right now I have an i7-4770k with a 1070 GPU and 16GB of RAM in a mITX desktop. But it is still too inconvenient to take that setup with me when going places so I wanted to go smaller. I plan on sacrificing a bit of performance because of this (or at least I assume I will be, could be wrong), but the convenience of just closing the lid and throwing it in a backpack is too great to pass up with these specs. I know Donald advised me to reach out to the veterans of the site for valuable information and he seemed to be a pretty big fan of @Phoenix and after browsing around and reading a lot of reviews and just common talk, I grew quite fond of what @Mr. Fox had to say and his opinions of quality equipment.

4. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    An i7 7700K and GTX 1080 will offer an order of magnitude better performance than your current hardware. The stock 1080p/60 screen is good for content consumption (and I would assume creation as well) and light gaming, but if you're going to be doing any serious playing on the built-in display, I would upgrade to the 120Hz unit.

Another thing to consider is RAM. I know you've already bought some, but while the system has four slots, two of them are on top of the motherboard, which has to be completely removed in order to access them. When I ordered my 16L13, I made sure to go with a configuration where everything was populated so I wouldn't have to worry about it down the road. Of course, if you're fine with only using the two accessible slots, that's OK.

If you're going to use Bluetooth peripherals, I'd recommend upgrading to the Killer wireless card. I use a BT Xbox controller and it works much better with the Killer than with an Intel I used on a different laptop.

Lastly, you should also consider adding an extended warranty, especially if you plan on keeping the machine for a while. The GPU alone would probably cost a grand to replace if it were to fail out of warranty, so spending far less than that for the extra peace of mind is worth it, IMO.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Buying components yourself and installing yourself can definitely save you money. HID is charging a fee (everyone does) to install them so they make a profit. It's to be expected when you're having someone else assemble it that they'll be making a margin. So if you're confident opening it up and doing it yourself it's an easy way to save money. Then you can look out for deals too and find even better pricing or find models they may not have offered for storage/ram.

If you don't want to do that, their prices are a little expensive, but imo still worth it. The cpu stuff they're doing is great and much more difficult to do if you're inexperienced.

It's funny because some other "boutique" places charge way more for storage and don't do anything special to make up for it... Unless you want your laptop like spray painted or something.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Well the good news is, HIDevolution offers factory delidded CPUs which would bring the temps down by as much as 10-20C which is a MUST for these desktop CPUs. If you delid yourself, say bye bye to your warranty :hi: so having a professional system builder do that is awesome as not many system builders are willing to take the chance/risk to do it. Also, I know shops usually charge a bit more for components that you can buy yourself but at least get the RAM from them to ensure they test everything before shipping it out to you. You can always add more storage yourself later if needed but RAM + CPU = from System Builder / shop

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Huniken and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  7. XiCynx

Reputations:
    So after reading some of your comments, I decided that it would just be the better choice to spend the extra $125 and order all the parts through HID. I've updated the system above accordingly and struck out the irrelevant text.

I will actually have the laptop hooked up to a Dell 34" Ultrawide for my main gaming experiences. I may try to sell it off and pick up a 1440p 120hz monitor in the future though.

I'm pretty good with just the two top slots. I've never had a need for more than 16GB of RAM and I doubt anything I'll be doing in the future will require more than that as well.

See I've read that the Killer card has had issues where once it is under load it tends to disconnect and that going with the Intel card is better for reliability reasons for constant connection. Could just be a hit or miss thing though.

I'm still thinking about the extended warranty. I've never bough an extended warranty before except for my card and I've never had anything break on me either (I'm pretty cautious with things that cost a lot of money). So that's still up for debate, I'm mauling it over and will decide on that before I click proceed to checkout.

Huniken likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Whichever way you go on an external monitor, make sure you have a good quality mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. This is the one I use. I was having problems using an adapter and the stock cable that came with my Dell G-Sync monitor, and changing to the aforementioned one fixed them.

As I said, the Killer card would only be worth considering if you're going to be using Bluetooth frequently. That being said, their drivers have improved dramatically over the last year. Most of the problems come from using their control center software, but thankfully there's a separate package that includes just the drivers, so you won't need to worry about that at all.

Captain_Bobby likes this.