About the IBM's

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by atomicspike, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomicspike

atomicspike Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks very much for your input, the reason I was bent on the Thinkpads was for their outstanding durability. One of my friends has
    had a Thinkpad for about three years with zero problems. One day he placed his computer on his bed near an open window (with no screen [xx(]); well apparently some time later his dog came into his room, got on the bed, and knocked the Thinkpad out of the second story window. When he saw it lying in his yard he was horrified, but he took it upstairs, turned it on and it worked fine. That sold me on the IBM's.

The Compaq Presario has a lot more features for just a little more money (well, at least until the rebates come in [8D]), thanks for showing me. My question is about their reliabilty; how will it hold up? I'm always skeptical of cheaper new items, my first desktop was a Toshiba, and I will never buy a Toshiba product again. So let me know how you feel about the Compaq, thanks again!

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Compaq is just find as a brand, since this is a cheaper machine the build quality will be on par with a ThinkPad, you'll just more features. I've been hearing the tech support for Compaq is kind of so-so of late (due to HP merger). However, you should check to see what kind of warranty you'll get with these refurbs...it might be none in which case you're better off with a not so great build machine with a warranty rather than a reputable machine with no warranty...things can always go wrong no matter who makes the notebook.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The funny thing is that my perception of Compaq is they tend to be over-priced. There was a day, years ago, when you couldn't beat Compaq when it came to quality in a notebook. They've fallen off a little, but they're still solid. I'd go for the deal Andrew found over the refurb IBMs.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.