1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Abnormally high PCH temperature on P150EM?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by gkrules, Jun 29, 2012.

1. terragady

terragady Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey, i have got PCH temp 80 on idle and ~93 on load (not heavy), what is wrong????

2. n=1

n=1 Opinionated cynic

Reputations:
    If you feel adventurous enough, over at the TechInferno forums there's a thread on PCH cooling by adding a thermal pad of the right thickness such that it contacts the keyboard back plate, and effectively uses that as a huge heatsink. I thought about giving it a try but I was bit concerned about what a 70+ C hotspot on one area of the keyboard would do to its internal electronics.

And for reference, the PCH in my P370SM averages 55 C when web browsing, goes up to 75 C when gaming, and tops out around 83 C when running Kombustor for 30 minutes.

3. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    The pch will get hottest with lots of io activity (hdd, usb etc)

4. webcrtor

webcrtor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine is 71°C on idle.. never seen it lower..

5. b0b1man

b0b1man Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine is also a nuclear powerplant at idle. But it works, so...maybe its normal.

6. terragady

terragady Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, laptop has like one week only so I do not want to modify anything yet. For me its just weird that some of us reporting really high temps and some of us normal around 50-60. From what it depends? There are different types of PCH?
    High temp at PCH can increase temp at CPU or GPU?

7. b0b1man

b0b1man Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only thing that can be problematic with high PCH temperatures is this: my second hard drive slot is right above it.
    And the PCH radiates so much heat, it made my hard drive go beyond 60'C (it was acting like a stove, heating up my harddrive that is mounted directly above it).
    The solution - I moved the HDD in the optical drive caddy. Problem solved, temps on the HDD are about 30'C on average.

Basically Ive never heard of the PCH melting down due to high temps. But if you have hard drives located near it, you might want to move them to another slot.
    Hard drives need to stay cool, ideally around 30-35'C to live a long happy life.

8. JMCD23

JMCD23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine seems to be about 60C idle and 90C load. Must be normal.

9. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes the chip sets are usually made on an older more heat resistant process.

10. Chaosstorm

Chaosstorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The issue with the p150em case is that you cant normally put a heat pad on the pch.. there is a piece of plastic casing blocking the access when you remove the keyboard..
    Whereas the p157sm does have good access, ive tried it on my p150em and could see the pch socket when peeking under the plastic.. but no way to properly shove a pad under it :(
    Mine is also 70-90 when gaming it can hit up to 92c. I don't like the feeling that a part is getting up to 90c and not being able to take care of it..