A8Js - Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by peekaboom, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    set to battery saving I get over 3 and a half hours battery life.

using the internet accessing the hd the entire time.

I THINK my machine has a different setting of the power4gear software. Anyone who gets 2.5 hours using battery saving mode has a different setting than me or a different battery right?

my windows folder says created oct 6th, I have a power4gear sticker on the front right of my machine not a splendid one. what about all of you?

2. Bbc84

Bbc84 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i can get over 3.5hrs as well, but im using notebook hardware control instead. i uninstalled power4gear.

3. epatnor

epatnor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My DVD unit is mega-loud too ;), it's like standing next to a Black Hawk taking off. Not really a concern for me though, as I will not watch many movies on the laptop, just install / burn stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

But, my machine came with bios 204 default too. And the release notes says something like "update fan control scheme" for that release. That's why I was wondering about the earlier releases, like the 203 if anybody tried that. Maybe the fan will spin in intervals on under that bios?

Btw, what harddrives do you guys have? Mine came with a 120GB Fujitsu MHV2120BH PL. Either this drive really sucks, or I have a bad specimen. :confused:

The drive is clearly audible just spinning, and it's kind of like a fine grinding noise. The "read/write" sounds are just fine, but the rotation of the disc inside does not sound good to me. Also, it's slow like engine grease.

What's up with Asus warranty on the A8Js? Can the enduser exchenge his/her harddrive without warranty complications?

Other than that - still LOVE this computer! :p

Cheers /epatnor

4. Redrum

Redrum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In addition to the loud fan issue I have another problem with the instant fun button. If I press the button it launches the instant fun (bloatware)application and the green led is also being lit. If I exit the application the led is still lit (in addition to this the capslock green led also stops working). If I reboot the instant fun led is still lit and automatically launches the instant fun application when entering windows. Very annoying indeed. If I deinstall instant fun application the laptop behaves just the same the only difference is that windows media player will be launched instead of the instant fun software. The only way to get rid of this (that that I have found) is to completely shut down the laptop. Now the led will not be lit and no software launches at restart. The caps lock led will also work as expected.
    Am I missing something here or is this a bug?
    By the way Epatnor the drive is easy to swap and there is no "sticker" that you need to remove. So if you are afraid to void the warranty you can easily change the drive to your original one if something happens. I bought a sata Hitachi travelstar 100 Gb 7200 rpm. Very nice. Ram is also easy to add, just a matter of snapping it in.

5. ITF

ITF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am debating sending mine back over the light leakage on the screen.. the more I use my other screens/laptops the worse the A8Js is looking. I would consider returning except the place I bought has a crazy 15% restocking fee on opened returns.

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would not even mess around with the dvd drive. I would contact asus in fremont and your dealer and ask for them to send you another one.

Im not guaranteeing you they will; I have no experience with them.

But I would think they would rather send you another one than ship it both ways. No machine down time. Describe the condition. Mine doesnt sound like that and neither do most of the hundreds of thousands of users of that drive....

My hd id hitachi hts 541010g9sa00. Forum chatter describes this drive as noisier than average. My opinion is its noisier than average.

7. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    can you give a short review or explanation of the program youre using and what advantage it might have over power4gear?

I like power4gear a lot its an extremely stable program. It gives its notices through demanding games and doesnt need a window or cause crashes like ones ive used in the past ( sony something)

8. Dalantech

Dalantech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    *Dal walks into the club and takes a seat by the fireplace*

As of 5 minutes ago I am officially a Portable One MX (A8Js) owner. First impressions:

1) Light leakage: It's there, but it's not severe -in fact it's a lot lower than my Vaio VGN-S560P so I can live with it. Color and contrast of the A8Jm's screen is better than any laptop I've ever owned :cool:

Converting the hard drive to NTFS now.

9. Bbc84

Bbc84 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Notebook Hardware Control was mentioned in some threads on this forum, its a program thats like power4gear, has different modes to save battery or increase performance.

I got it here: http://www.pbus-167.com/
    If you install it you need to patch it with the Core2Duo patch under the download link.

I like it because it gives battery status on taskbar, along with the flow of wattage when using battery or charging itll say like +25.5W or something like that. It also gives Hard Drive and CPU Temperature and CPU Speed as well.

Another feature is you can adjust the setting of the hard drive to make it quieter, and also adjust performance of the video card to save battery or give max performance like CPU.

10. crys

crys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New bios is available. It's revision 207.
    But there is no information about the changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.