A8Js - Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by peekaboom, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seajewel

Seajewel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thursday, October 5 2006. and i have a Splendid sticker. i ordered in the first NA shipment, so before you.

2. mccarron

mccarron Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, I don't know if this has been posted before... but I JUST got my new A8Js and I know that I should convert the file system to NTFS but how do I go about this? And can I then re-partition the drives?

Any other basic steps I should take before getting into this?

Thanks

3. crys

crys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    After a fresh install of win XP Pro (not with the recovery CD's :eek: ), I would like to know exactly which drivers I need and also to put them in order (I mean the first drivers to install, the second and so on...)
    If also some of them are not really necessary. :rolleyes:
    I'll plan to take all the drivers on Asus web page.

Thanks a lot to reply me. :)
    I've made a french review of the fantastic A8Js.

http://forum.tt-hardware.com/topic-85344---TOPIC-Asus-A8.htm

Hope having your help. ;)

;-) Crys

4. Windaria

Windaria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, if you bought an OEM copy of Windows, so that you could install without the recovery CDs, then you should read some pages back as you can actually use the Asus recovery CDs to install an OEM copy without any Asus bloatware or anything.

That said, if you are installing drivers, you don't need to install drivers in any particular order... it is irrelevent. I mean, I tend to install network and display drivers first, but that is just so I can connect to download other drivers and so that I don't have to look at such a small screen. <shrug>

So, do whatever you like, it really doesn't matter. As for necessary, however, all of the drivers really are necessary if you want your hardware to work correctly... so what do you mean?

5. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

mine is october 6th and power 4 gear

mine is the 1 week in shipment.

Just trying to see if there is a pattern.

matshi ta is the parent company of panasonic. This same cd drive is in too many notebooks to count without very many complaints of noise.

6. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm just finishing up a gentoo install on my A8Js. Besides the default installation media not having a driver for the ethernet card, it's been pretty smooth sailing. The drivers for the ethernet card weren't functional for this notebook until quite recent kernels (I think it got merged into 2.6.18.1), but a number of distros have patched kernels or use the driver provided by realtek (r1000). Sound card is supported using the Intel HD audio ALSA driver. Wireless is supported via the ipw3945 driver package provided by intel. No clue about the webcam or media reader as I don't have a use for them.

I wish I could comment on whether or not they'll be auto-detected, but I've always been a "do it yourself" type of person so I configured it all by hand ;).

So far, I've had no stability issues, but I still haven't tested out suspending so there still might be possible issues there. I'll post an update in a few days once I've really tested it out (suspend, games, heavy multitasking, etc).

7. mythless

mythless King of Pies

Reputations:
    Arighty guys, I just received my A8Js by P1 (their MX), and its been great. However, I am sorry to spoil the techno topics, but I myself ain't very knowledgable in this area, so I might be asking newbish questions. I apologize in advance. I know I can check it, but P1 is sending my power brick to me and my lappie has no power.

Here are my questions:
    1)Does it have a recovery partition?
    2)other than skype and nortons, what else do I uninstall, I don't know these programs.

That's all I can think of, and yes I used the search funciton.

8. xlr8r

xlr8r Newbie

Reputations:
    hey guys!

i'm the very happy owner of an a8js since one week now but i have one quite big problem:

the harddrive takes hours to defragment. the standard windows defrag util didn't even manage to defrag it completely, so i'm using O&O defrag 8.5 at the moment, but still it takes at least 5 hours to complete the job.

i still have my c and d partitions FAT32. does that make the difference or is the difference to 7200rpm drives so big? or even worse: is there sth. wrong with my drive?

i'd be very very thankful for any advice, since this is a real drawback for me.

PS: with my current settings battlefield 2 takes 5 minutes to load a map. on my old XP 3200+ AMD with a 7200rpm and 1GB ram it only took 1.30" max(!)

9. jywc

jywc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) Yes. It takes up 1.86 GB.
    2) I know that I have uninstalled those two programs, but I don't remember what else... But I am also interested in knowing what others have uninstalled and kept.

FAT32 takes much longer than NTFS to defrag. I think that that is one of the key advantages to converting to NTFS... Read/write speed may also be affected, but I am not entirely sure. Can someone else confirm/refute that?

10. mythless

mythless King of Pies

Reputations:
    Thanks jywc. So it does have a recovery partition. So, to say I were to reformat the whole HDD, would I need to burn the recovery drive? Or would I just use the Recovery CD to do a clean install? I myself have never done this, so I am not quite to sure if I should delete the partition or keep it.

Btw, just as clarification, I did not receive my power brick, therefore no way to recharge the battery. At this moment it only has 10min of battery life. But, its on the way, too bad its the weekend...For those who are confused by my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.