A wrap up for GTX 10x0 mxm cards upgrade on M17x R4 --- Schrodinger's nVidia

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by RMSMajestic, Apr 22, 2020.

1. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, considering mr Gates is all so involved with vaccines for years now its no wonder windows and drivers went down the toilet.
    I am now under impression that microsoft would like to get to the point where one must get a jab in first and you get your updated drivers to work then (fingerprint id has to check ofc)
    windows files in a chip inside the body
    more jabs=more fps
    what a wonderfull business model
    lets all just buy the latest bga slim sexy solarpowered crap every year

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    woodzstack likes this.
  2. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope.jpg
    Already had my Z370 + i9 9900 and X399 and X470 and X370 and also my aging Dual E5 2687w v2. There are also modded drivers out there for Z390 and TRX40
    With that much computing power I don't see the reason to upgrade and one 'd have to pay me to use winbugs 10, just like my employer ;)

UltraGSM and woodzstack like this.
  3. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wish the fans did not need HWInfo when using a 1070 on the R4. Is there any fix for that? Also no HDMI-In working either.

Here is the vBIOS that came on my 1070 that is in my R4. Runs VR great, just finished the new half-life. One guy said it was a Zotac card but another said Gecube. I'm not sure.

I replaced it with a vBIOS that a member sent me that upped the TDP to 125w. I don't really quite follow the stuff about the different numbering of the headers. I just flashed with nvflash and laptop came back and booted just fine. Started with 115w then switched to 125w

cards.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  4. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was also sent a second 115w TDP vBIOS, any clue if this will make the fans or HDMI-In work?
    cards2.jpg
    heaven.jpg

I think those generic 1070 GPUs are like 80w units. Spanked your score, I read that those black boards are where someone re-soldered down a 1070 core to a board that was based upon another design. (again take with a grain of salt)

The GPU I am using looks more like the Zotac 1080 so that is why I thought it was a Zotac card. Not running any GPU OC programs.

EDIT: But yeah I am also kind of throwing my hands up with the DIY laptop run. Man what a sweet run it was with the M15x up to the 680M w native fan control then kind of harsh swap to the M17x R4 on 1070. Bumps w needing the Germans to get the Intel native USB 3.0 drivers to work, thanks Intel for ****ing that up. But no where to go from here. Desktop =/ but I think maybe PC gaming is dead (for me). Time is rare these days and console has the power on/power off ten min gaming session figured out.

Many thanks for all the efforts by the original poster and all of you from these forums. Really special team of guys and gals. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  5. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    It is indeed a Zotac card. those are rated for 90W so be careful when you flash that 115W vBIOS.

Gecube's first version of 1070 is based on the Zotac card. But their quality is nowhere near and needed extra mosfet soldered on. (As I've heard most of those cards eventually exploded) Their later batches are based on an entirely different design.

The fans run on M17x R4, just not below 60c or 70c I think....

BTW how comes you scored twice higher than me in the heaven benchmark? Is it because that 3630qm is severely bottlenecking? Or because I didn't have battery plugged in?

6. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah no idea why I blasted your score, I also have to run without the battery or risk a HWInfo freeze. That is just how the 1070 runs on this machine. The stock vBIOS was 115W so not sure why you are saying the Zotac is rated for 90W. Someone else did pop a Zotac running the MSI 150W vBIOS (but I think they had the card at 80*+ for hours). I am running a 125W vBIOS and get mid 70s

I have the five heat pipe pure copper GPU heatsink. It seems the GPU fan does not run at all without HWInfo. I did solder in a thermal switch that will open and make PWM run at 100% in case HWInfo crashes or something goes wrong.

cards3.jpg

Just ran the Heaven benchmark again with GPUz logging, attached and hit 128.5W per HWInfo on the GPU

Attached Files:

UltraGSM likes this.
  7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Any issues with the 1060N from me, after all this time ?

UltraGSM and rjtnag like this.
  8. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Most likely because you couldn't use AC power AND Battery. M17XR4 and AW17 systems AFAIK, can use both sources of power when in heavy demand, the 240W PSU bricks usually never truly enough power for them.
    Could also be your settings, in NVidia control panel, your OC settings, a whole bunch of things. But if you were on battery, that would make the most sense and be anyone's best guess.
    A easy fix, try again on PSU power

UltraGSM likes this.
  9. rjtnag

rjtnag Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think my wording came out wrong.
    @woodzstack Your 1060 has been working flawlessly since I have received it :D

Its just that after jan 2019 windows updates, no amount of driver fiddling/inf modding worked for me.
    I tried
    1. ddu old drivers>Install new drivers>windows update, didn't work.
    2. Update windows>ddu old>install new, didn't work.

Going back to jan 2019 build with 417.35 installs without any issue. So I stuck with that.

Also it was too much of a hassle getting it to restore back to keep trying. Hence never bothered again.

Nevertheless, my laptop (gaming)usage has been reduced quite a bit. Planning a vr desktop build next year.

Edit: formatting

10. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    Would a 330w PSU help in this case?