A workhorse laptop for an IT Pro ( non-gamer)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Daniel Westerdale, May 29, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nizmoz

nizmoz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, and has been fixed with a bios update.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lates...locking-with-a-slight-undervolt.428581.0.html

If he isn't gaming, then the GPU will not cause him to throttle.

2. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Problem is, even as a "large ultrabook with exceptional performance" it fails. Badly.

The $1,299 configuration is 4 pounds, my laptop is 4.17 pounds, basically the same weight.

My laptop was $300 cheaper, has a CPU that is substantially more powerful, twice as much RAM, twice as much SSD storage, and has a 1660 TI, which ****s on the integrated garbage in the $1,299 XPS. Even at the higher price point:

$1,749.99 gets you a i7-10750H, which basically matches my i7-9750H, it has a 1650 TI, which gets murdered by a 1660 TI, and is STILL has half the RAM and SSD storage. 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD, in a $1,750 laptop is completely unacceptable.

Pay $750 more, get much worse performance, and have it more or less weigh the same. It's a **** deal all around.

The pricing on these models is a joke, I just ordered a new laptop as well, which was $1,798.

i7-10875H, RTX 2070 Super, 16 GB DDR4 @ 2993 mhz, 2 TB SSD, 144 hz display

Paying that same amount for a inferior cpu, gpu, half the ram, and 1/8 the SSD storage...yeah that sounds like an awesome deal.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    he wants the i9 and thats the last time I state that. the xps cannot be fixed with a bios update, it was hitting 99c temps dont go down with software updates. and that was with the i7 imagine a i9 it will throttle like crazy and that was what I first stated....at this point its more of a fact than a opinion. its a good laptop for most people but he needs a powerful cpu that will have 0 throttling.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actual IT Pro here (Data-center technician). We exclusively use Zbooks/Elitebooks as a company as chinese devices are a no-go due to national security issues. We use our equipment outside, inside, on ladders, very harsh environments and I've never had a single issue with them. My current COU device is a Elitebook 745 and my personal device is a Zbook Studio 15 G5 largely based upon my positive experiences with HP.

You can get just about any configuration to suite your needs ie parallel ports, matte screens, LTE, Smart Card, Xeons, ECC, Ryzen; also dirt cheap and easy to find parts for in the used market. Dead quiet with no-fan operation and when the fan is on they are over-sized so the pitch is low. Highly recommended, **** Dell.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    penguinslider and Vasudev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.