A workhorse laptop for an IT Pro ( non-gamer)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Daniel Westerdale, May 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Daniel Westerdale

Daniel Westerdale Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess my typical workload is to have Office 365 Desktop ( Outlook, Word , OneNote), MS Teams, 2 x VSCode instances, Chrome with 50+ tabs and having Edge Chromium instance per Office 365 tenant. most of the time I have an external keyboard and 2 x 22 " monitors. For me the laptop needs to be quiet (as in not a Jumbo Jet taking off :mad:), light,fast, long battery life and have a great screen and keyboard experience.

CPU
    10th Gen Intel 6 core i7-10750 or 9th Gen intel 8 core i-9980 /i-9750

Memory
    32GB DDR4 ( I need this!)

TTB PCIe NVME Solid State Drive
    Can I expand this

Display
    15.6 FHD+ ( 1920 x 1200) non touch or UHD+ ( 3840 x 2400) touch
    non reflective
    Nits

So what are the contenders for 2020:

Dell 15 XPS Touch UHD

Dell new 15 XPS Touch UHD

Surface Book 3

Please feel free to suggest any non -mac alternatives....

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah but the xps will throttle like heck

go for a msi titan or a clevo based laptop

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Daniel Westerdale

Reputations:
    You referring the new models as well? I guess you after reading the Tom's Hardware review on the new XPS 15 I spoke to their sales team yesterday who aren't realy offereing any deals on the new models. I want to see some reviews as to how the older and newer models compare.

Will look at the msi titan and clevo models as wel to see if they can be aimed at the IT Pro and non-gamer.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The titan is the most unportable laptop ever lol like my P7 its really good but very heavy. Plus it sounds like you wont be doing sustained workloads but bursts.

Any of the thin laptops will get loud as you ramp up the CPU, but they will be quiet if you're mainly doing remote sessions on chrome or editing text in vscode. If you're also running terminal applications / command line utilities that use resources, such as 7z tasks, copy tasks, etc, then the CPU might get toastier. In the end it is a matter of what best suits portability needs, both the microsoft and dell check this box. The surface book/laptop does not have serviceable ram and after more research its using the Quad core i7 which at that point having the 6 core 9th gen even would be better.

If you do any compression tasks though laptops like the Asus G14 with 32GB of ram will blow intels things out of the water but those arent available in the UK yet from what I am seeing.

My votes now firmly on the 2020 XPS if you want the best mix of best battery life and spec plus you get their fancy new maglev keyboard. You can go crazy and swap to 64GB of ram even. However if they are offering the i9 2019 XPS at substantial discount that has better performance but you will be trading battery life and lower noise for it however if your work is not sustained (20min+ of high cpu) then throttling and noise wont be as much of a problem.

You cannot beat the form factor of XPS for this kind of stuff and generally its less of a hassle to get the company to approve it. Theres a reason the XPS lineup has been around for over 20 years.

(to answer your question from other thread too) OLED pwm basically causes flickering which some people may notice as it causes increased eye strain. And for high refresh rate (300hz comment) the tasks you've described don't benefit at all from high refresh rates, so between models this shouldn't be a deciding factor.

In the end the 9th to 10th gen i7 leap isnt exactly exciting so look at the other aspects of the laptops and decide based on what you see yourself wanting and using longterm.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    he wants the i9

if this is true then so will throttling and massive at that

6. nizmoz

nizmoz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The new 15" XPS does not throttle and has one of the best cooling systems vs any other laptop in its class.

That would be the one I would go for, but I'd get the i7 over the i9 to keep the battery life decent.

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A Redditor has found that undervolting the GPU in the Dell XPS 15 7590 is necessary to prevent its throttling. The GTX 1650 in the latest XPS 15 is reported to throttle severely as soon as it hits 75 °C under load at the stock voltage of 800 mV.

Are those 3DMark scores disappointing? Sure, if Dell advertised this as a gaming rig, but it did not. It's effectively a large Ultrabook that can give exceptional performance for short durations. For my expectations, the XPS 15 does what it is supposed to do.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Vasudev likes this.
  8. Daniel Westerdale

Reputations:
    Interesting video that and I definitely want to test out those performance settings. I don't want a gaming rig. In fact, it has always irriatated me that most high performance machines are aimed at gamers who probable never get hear the fans over the on screen explusions and gun fire! For me short bursts of high perfomance is all I need during software builds and various demos.

9. Daniel Westerdale

Reputations:
    I understand the tradeoff. The new XPS 15 is the one I am going with, having a decent battery life will be a refreshing change.

10. Daniel Westerdale

Reputations:
    @Kittys , you have certainly expedited my purchasing decision and given me more clarity on the options. Decent battery life, high memory and that fancy keyboard: all points to the new XPS 15 . Did flirt with the idea new 17 XPS as it's cooler ( litterally) but it will be heavier and more expensive.
    Dell have now issued a new quote ( you can get a small discount if call up) .

PS: The Areo 15's WIFI is quite unstable now and the card you recommended has yet to arrive :mad: