A third USB port on a CF-19 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by OscarSV, Apr 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. OscarSV

OscarSV Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I've got a CF-19KHR1PQL (Mk3) and I wonder if I could add a third USB port by using the fingerprint reader connector on the USB interface.
    I could get a USB connector on an old CF-18 and use the place of the modem port which is of no use.
    Somebody tried it yet ? Thank you.

toughasnails likes this.
  2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome to NBR Panasonic Toughbook Forum

This sounds like a good question for Shawn. He will be around later on.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    A CF19 is a challenge due to lack of space inside.
    A mini usb port may fit without needing to Dremel the housing.
    It is possible to use the fpr connector but you need to watch the amperage.
    It may not have as much power as a standard usb port. Standard usb port is 500 mA.

4. jonlowe

jonlowe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why don't you use a PCMCIA or Expresscard for the extra port? You can get two extra ports and you don't have to modify anything. With an Expresscard, you can get USB 3.

5. OscarSV

OscarSV Newbie

Reputations:
    @Shawn : of course I could use a mini usb port, but the miniport takes more than 0.5 W of energy ( comparison I've done with a mouse directly plugged and through a miniport ). My CF-19 alone takes around 8 W.
    @jonlowe : I want to keep my CF-19 "waterproof" !
    Thank you for your answers.

toughasnails likes this.
  6. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can use waterproof usb hub :))

Shawn likes this.
  7. Shawn

Reputations:
    Miniport does not use any energy. It is just a connector. The device plugged in uses the energy.
    So by your reply, you won't use a mini usb because it uses more than .5W of energy? How is a full size usb port going to work then?
    The usb power ratings are based on usb version NOT the port size. Beware the ratings for usb charging ports. Those are not standard laptop usb ports. They are designed for high power charging and have much higher power ratings than a normal usb port has.

usb 1 and 2 are rated at 500mA and usb 3 is rated at 900mA (miliamp NOT miliwatt)

Watts are not AMPS. VERY different.

I said 500mA NOT 500mW or .5W

Amps are how many electrons flow past a certain point per second. It is equal to one coulomb of charge per second, or 6.24 x 10^18 electrons per second. Volts is a measure of how much force that each electron is under, which we call "potential". Power (watts) is volts times amps.

And actually you will find that a CF 19 and CF 31 have 2A as in AMP fuses that go to the factory usb ports. The FPR has a lower sized fuse (less power)going to it.

Confused as to your CF 19 using 8W.. CF 19's (depending on mk) on the 16volt DC side use about 48 watts as calculated by the power supply output.

Just a warning to all-----
    The PCMCIA cards are rated at only 500mA (as in miliamps) total. Using those cards WILL overheat the card and toast the motherboard. Many posts on here discuss that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware
    https://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm

I have been an electrician and electronics repair for almost 50 years. Laptop and computer modding and repair for about 35years. This ain't my first rodeo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  8. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    500mA and 900mA (0.5A and 0.9A)
    I'm sure you know :)

Shawn likes this.
  9. Shawn

Reputations:
    Whats a decimal point matter anyway?o_O:(
    That's what I get for typing when I am tired. :D

10. OscarSV

OscarSV Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry Shawn, I'm not confusing W and A, I'm in electronic stuff for 45 years.
    I don't use the power supply, I feed the computer directly from the battery of my sailing boat. I do that with my previous CF-18 for more than ten years. Below a voltage of around 13.5 V the internal battery doesn't charge, but the energy comes from the external battery. At this moment the battery icon indicates " battery 97%, 694 hours remaining", which means that the internal battery doesn't discharge and isn't in use.
    So I can exactly meter the current entering the computer. Whith the screen at mid-light, mouse plugged and doing nothing, the current entering is 0.60 A. The ext battery voltage is 13.2 V ( 4 element of lithium LiFePO4), so the used power is : 0.60 X 13.2 = 7.92 W. This is the real power used by the computer.
    Now if I unplug the mouse and I replug it through a mini-usb port, the current increases of 0.04 A, so the power consume of the port is 0.04 A X 13.2 V = 0.528 W. The mini-usb port is not just a plug, there is electronic stuff inside.
    The Toughbook charge circuitry is really flexible : even a 9 V entry voltage feeds the stuff. Once by mistake I've sent 24 V, the battery light turned red with an alarm sound but nothing burned. I hope this can help some people and gives some ideas.

SHEEPMAN! likes this.