A question about operating noise

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mvotal, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvotal

mvotal Newbie

Reputations:
    I currently have an older Toshiba. It's been a great machine but getting pretty old to handle the new stuff. It's a 266 mhz. The fan only runs at startup. I'm afraid of the new machines "In my price range". Just how loud are the economy model Dells, HP's and Compaq's.
    You can only tell how hot they get at the mega stores. Noise is meaningless in those environments. And the sales people are clueless.
    I am looking for an economy box thats quiet and cool. I've felt some of these units, you could fry eggs on them. Not what I would want on a typical summer day in the midwest. I've read the IBM R50 is quiet,
    but kind of consider that out of my price range. Another point I am considering fact is my failing eyesight. Some of these resolutions are so high, I would need two pairs of glasses to read them. I was hoping for 15" screen with no mare than 1024x768 as it's native res.
    Sorry about the long message, but from what I've seen posted and answered, most of you are very helpful to people like me so I thought I'ld give this a shot. Thank you, Manford Votal (new member)

2. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I'm not that familiar with the HP and Compaq budget computers so I will let others give their opinion on that, so I can only give you my opinion on Dell.

I have the Inspiron 5150, which isn't quite in the budget range you want, but similar to the Inspiron 5100 which would be more in your price range. The fan does come on during highly intense applications or uses. I don't want to tell you that you can't notice the sound, but I don't think it's overly loud that it would annoy you. Same goes for the 5100 (the budget one) Since this computer uses a desktop pentium 4 chip, the fan will be used more often to cool the processor down. So, again, you will hear the fan more often, but it shouldn't drive you crazy.

As for heat...yes, the desktop processors used in budget notebooks do get hot. I would say heat is more of an issue than fan noise in these computers. However, in my opinion I think it's something that you get used to. But, from what I know, most notebooks that use desktop processor's will get pretty warm.

So, if you are adamant about complete quiet and cold temperatures, you're going to have to look at the Centrino notebooks that use the Pentium M processors...but I don't know that many that fall into the budget range.

Hope that helps

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Manford - You should look at the eMachine line as well, specifically the M5309. They're getting solid marks for quality builds with a lot of features for smaller investments.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.