A no frills non gaming laptop with power where it counts, TDP 35-55w and good performance/cost

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Oliver555, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oliver555

Oliver555 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm after a laptop that will offer best bang for buck- it has to be low power, 55w max, and I want it only to do the following:

fast boot up- webpage loaded from off in ~10s

multiple scans at same time in minutes with no effect on web browsing- eg defrag,malware,virus,etc.

open 200-300tabs without stall/crash/slow down

open 50 tabs each with a paused movie (~2hrs) and have the system able to store all the info so all movies can then be watched offline.

fast webpages, I don't want to have to tone down visual effects to keep performance snappy

What I don't care about:

refurb
    looks
    screensize
    weight
    casing
    build- I think maybe I'd want usb3 and a small ssd instead of a medium drive, but I'll let you judge according to my goals.Window OS,order online,I live in UK,don't mind international shipping as long as instructions are in english and ship charges won't kill me.

It should be in working order, it should not be damaged I don't mind minor scratches, but not on screen, it should last years and be tradeable in the future to get a reasonable discount off a newer model. Basically, I want all the money in the processor that's going to give me best bang for buck for me. I don't know how any of the benchmarks are relevant to my needs, so hopefully you can advise me. I'm looking to max out at £4-500 or $650-750.

No real experience, this is to replace my first laptop which is not fast enough: windows vista,core2duo advent T5500 1.67GHz, 2GBsodimm RAM, new screen, 75GB hard drive. I will sell this for £100-200 to help with the cost of the new laptop.

2. Syberia

Syberia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're probably going to want an i7 quad, 16gb (or more) RAM, and an SSD. Any laptop with these specs should suit your needs, and you can usually add the RAM and SSD yourself.

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    35W-55W total means you'd want a 35W CPU which means a dual-core i5 or i7 (i5-3xxxM, i7-3xxxM) with the machine specced with a 60/65W AC adapter. A 45W i7-quad TDP CPU would be above your power limit when you add up other power use (charging battery, LCD, systemboard, USB devices, etc). For a 10s boot you'd need a very fast SATA-III SSD, something that can be installed post-purchase. USB 3.0 comes standard with Ivy Bridge systems as part of the chipset.

Suggest look at the low-end business range from HP (Probook 4x40s), Dell (Vostro 3x60) and Lenovo (Ex30), where x signifies the size of the LCD (4=14", 5=15"), ensuring you get the Intel HD4000 iGPU only model to keep power consumption down.

4. Oliver555

Oliver555 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh, by TDP 35-55w I just meant the cpu itself, not the whole machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.