A new laptop for someone who likes to hang on to their devices forever

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by pg90, Oct 17, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Must be something other than ram doing that. My wife's dell 11 3000 2 in 1 has 4gb soldiered on board and it runs fast. Use 365, edge, polarr with no issues in speed what so ever. Maybe stop using opera. Sounds like is a massive ram hog.

Rokobo likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Opera was by far the fastest option in my recent testing, especially compared to Edge and Chrome. I have an emergency 4GB laptop: it's useless due to the pitiful amount of RAM and additionally the lack of an SSD. I guess we may have very different notions regarding the meaning of the word "fast".

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2020
  3. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    when y“all Blokes are touching on the subject of Ram size requirements and it's efficiencies... pls don't forget how much improvement had Ram Clocking Speeds had advanced from previous OS to current.

hertzian56 likes this.
  4. etern4l

Reputations:
    RAM speed has nothing to do with OSes per se, and higher RAM speed does nothing to prevent the catastrophic loss of performance due to the insufficient amount of RAM and the resulting swapping.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Don't be that guy spreading useless "knowledge" everyone laughs at! Opera is OBVIOUSLY not the fastest since, your system is bogging down with 8gb of ram while using it. My wife's dell with 4gb using edge skips along quite quickly....again, your system has other issues, not ram.

Rokobo likes this.
  6. etern4l

Reputations:
    I mean Opera's main selling point has always been speed, should be no surprise there for most people. I feel that the built-in ad blocker is part of the reason why it does well, it also has some laptop-specific optimisations. I have since moved on to Brave for the enhanced privacy on my main driver though. The problem with Edge is just a bit of clunkiness, as well as limited privacy options and compatibility.

The Windows machine with 4GB of soldered RAM is a lost cause - most people will see that with ease, but the Toshiba which originally came with 8GB of RAM and a slow HDD, would occasionally grind to a halt whenever Opera or Edge were used extensively too. Luckily, it has proper SoDIMMs, and now it's like a brand new machine after upgrade to an EVO SSD and 16GB, so yeah - it's not just RAM that can bog down performance. BTW Looking at benchmarks, Opera is particularly effective at I/O which might also offer further insight into its great performance on low-end laptops.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  7. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    there are faster browsers out there for sure. You can try waterfox seamonkey or palemoon. i use seamokey on a pentium 2 and I am able to read this site. Oh btw it is maxed out at 160megs of ram haha. Running a version of linux i made.
    When i was playing The Witcher 3. The game was taking 7g of ram. It was still not using the swap file.
    I will say i don't like the idea of soldered ram but that will be future for laptops. all phones and tabs have it soldered

Just tried for fun. 10 tabs open on opera, 1.4g ram. System using 3g of ram total. How many tabs or programs does one need running?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Rokobo and kojack like this.
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    exactly my point. There is something wrong with his computer if it’s dragging slow with 8gb of ram. Or he has five hundred tabs open at once. 4 Gbs is fast and speedy for basic computing. My 11 3000 is nice and fast with 4gb. He’s pulling an ace Ventura here.

9. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the biggest speed difference i seen was upgrading peoples older machines with a ssd drive. A ssd drive in a 4g machine will be decent for windows 10 and a bit faster on a lighter linux distro. The majority of people are just using machines to read news, facebook and run office apps. If you were using the computer for design or then you would of course benefit from more memory. there is a computer at my work that take pictures of parts to make a 3d image. That beast has more ram then you can imagine.

10. etern4l

Reputations:
    First of all, I'm talking about Windows 10 here....good point though, I could try to salvage the soldered 4GB RAM Lenovo garbage by installing Linux on it. Furthermore, the goal is not to be able to read a site, but to be able to reasonably use a computer to multitask across several web sites/apps and native software in the office/productivity domain without heavy swapping.
    Since we are having a Sunday anecdote day: right now I see 16 of 32GB used of which Opera takes up about 1GB running around 30-40 tabs. There is also a 2GB productivity app of note, not doing much at the moment. The rest is scattered across the system, other minor apps and services, and possibly used for caching (not sure if cache is included in the physical memory utilization number in Windows).