A new laptop for someone who likes to hang on to their devices forever

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by pg90, Oct 17, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The new xps lineup is so well built I would get one in your spec and price range and use the crap out of it. I still using an acer 7720 from 2007 with no issues really.

pg90 likes this.
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The XPS notebooks are really nice machines. They have top-notch screens, which is arguably, the most important thing on a notebook, but I'd bet you can get a nice Latitude or ThinkPad for less than a XPS 15. The XPS is a well made notebook, but I'd choose a business class notebook if durability is your top priority. Though there's some chance involved with durability. In the aggregate a ThinkPad or Latitude is more likely to last a long time, but every notebook tells its own story, so buying a business in no guarantee of longevity nor is is shorter lifespan a forgone conclusion when buying a consumer grade notebook.

I'd say since you're not moving it frequently, the better screens offered on the XPS would make me lean that way. The ThinkPad will offer you a better keyboard and stick if desired, but the FHD screens on the T15 are mediocre at best compared to the XPS. You'll want to bump up to the 4K with a ThinkPad, which is quite nice. I'm not sure the Latitude applies there. The T15 is a top tier business class notebook. Dell doesn't really have an equivalent model. You'd need to look at the Precision models to be in the same ballpark. If it were my money I'd probably opt for the XPS 15, might even look at the XPS 17 given it's so light, with the FHD+(1920x1200), but there's no bad choices here.

Starlight5 and pg90 like this.
  3. pg90

pg90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again for the replies, everyone. Thought I'd just provide an update to say I'm looking really closely at the T495. This one w/16GB soldered RAM is $882. The 256GB storage isn't ideal but not a deal-breaker.

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @pg90 you can get a E14G2 with much more powerful 8-core APU for that kind of money...

5. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not bleeding edge for power but the panasonic toughbooks are in my opinion the best laptops made. I have a few models but if you got the money toughbook 55 or 33 for cf-20

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Soldered RAM... I thought you were looking for value/longevity/upgradeability?

7. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    16g is a lot of ram and prob good for the lifetime of that laptop. With the ryzen 5 cpu that will be pretty sweet also.
    but on the E14G2 the ryzen 7 4000 would be a boost for sure if its around the same price

8. etern4l

Reputations:
    Is this a joke? For basic browsing maybe.

9. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Running opera with 4 tabs open with a bunch of add ons using 2 gigs of ram at the moment. Dare I say I only have 8gigs! still play every modern game at almost max, 1080p though

Rokobo likes this.
  10. etern4l

Reputations:
    I feel genuinely sorry for you. One of my family members, a light user, had an 8GB laptop - it was barely usable even when using Opera. Upgrade to 16GB made a day and night difference.
    Another obvious point about this applesque soldered RAM, is that if there is a memory issue, the whole motherboard goes to the bin.