[A Message From Frank Azor] - Leaving Alienware?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by iunlock, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    On the one hand ASUS has been making some pretty decent stuff this last few years. But they always seem to cut corners in the wrong places. . .so having an Ex-ASUS member with Alienware could go either way. That’s assuming they don’t just use her as a taking head and don’t listen to her ideas. But I’d be for and M15 Zephyrus or an Area 51m Mothership. ;)

jaybee83 and Vasudev like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Some reflections...Frank Azor was the Godmother for soldered storage in XPS 13 on his work duty. Same also for the soldered ram + wifi cards on newest thin Alienware's. Dell got another boss for the XPS brand and we can now see that the "soldered on storage mess" will be replaced with normal ssd slot.

[​IMG]
    CES 2020 | Dell XPS 13 9300 in pictures: Don't worry, the SSD is now replaceable

@Mr. Fox @Vasudev @Ashtrix +++ all not mentioned but not forgotten.

Is this a fluke/coincidence? Nope, I don't think so.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It happened on his watch. He can run, but he can't hide. Dell will still be Dell, but even dummies know stupid on steroids when they see it. Soldered RAM, SSD and WiFi are just stupid. There is no nice way to say it.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe the ASUS chief experienced boiling SSD and failing SSDs after few months on her work PC and was fed up with Apple Macbook like soldering and lose valuable user data including future Powerpoint Slides, Excel sheets or even huge Word documents! Maybe that's why they pulled back to good old replaceable hardware!
    Dell and EMC2 are one so they come with new SFF and gets deprecated really quick due to bad cooling!
    I think Smartphones and other portables have better thermals on their BGA than on Dell/AW/XPS BGA with much bigger Form factors.

jclausius, Ashtrix, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All the new AW boss needs to do is check out the interest generated by latest AW models on NBR (in pages of comments):

51M - 1750
    m15 R1 - 350
    m15 R2 with soldered RAM/WiFi - literally just 35

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If they were to pay special attention to the criticism, and do something to correct it, that would be great. Although, it is extremely unlikely that would happen. Skunks don't change their stripes. If we believe what they say, everything they sell "functions as intended" and that's great except for one thing: Their intentions are messed up.

Being liked by all isn't necessary when you're a legend in your own mind.

etern4l, Ashtrix, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hear hear, although the main argument and hope here is that the chief skunk is out of the door. I'm all for giving the new chief animal at least a little benefit of doubt. Of course, it may well end up being another case of "the skunk is dead, long live the skunk", or worse. Should be clear soon enough, I guess around CES?

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Or after the release and reviews is finished and we see new tampering with firmware in same way as for Area-51m. Use of soldered hardware everywhere to lower costs isn’t the only problem. Destroy products with cripped firmware ain’t much better. Even worse if/when they fiddle with firmware after initial reviews is done.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    jclausius, etern4l, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, Pepe Le Pew... they're all different, but they're all Looney Tunes and they are all funny.

Dell is Dell, Alienware is Dell... both are Mickey Mouse... but, neither one is funny. Sad is how I would describe that. I've never viewed Mickey Mouse as being funny.

jclausius, etern4l, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, it's been a while. Any word from Azor's successor? What's the vision?