a little disappointed with the m18x

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by (((STEREO))), Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (((STEREO)))

(((STEREO))) Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Am i the only one who thinks at 18.4", the M18x should've gotten a desktop CPU?

Other than that it is indeed a beast.

2. AirJordan

AirJordan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The only things I'm disappointed with are the screen and the color choices... a desktop processor really isn't needed and would just create issues. The Sandy Bridge processors are plenty powerful for what they do.

3. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    No way, there's absolutely no need for a desktop CPU. It would result in thermal, power and further weight issues and be useless for the market AW caters to.

4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Desktop CPU's are absolutely not needed, and often cause motherboard issues down the road because while not "high" in heat when properly cooled, the slightly stronger heat levels slowly cook the internals.

Best to use portable CPU's for portable applications. Besides, these days, they are plenty powerful enough for 90% of folks and their applications.

5. (((STEREO)))

Reputations:
    useless to the market AW caters to? You mean the Super-Enthusiast market where even the slightest bit of extra performance is everything? Joker this is rare... actually the first time...I dont agree with you. And i was kinda hoping it would shut up x7200 owners :)

I understand the difficulties involved with power/thermal contraints... just at 18.4"... i think they could've pulled it off with a little work...

Let's just hope the 2920xm is TDP/TDC unlocked in TS ... anyone know if it is?
    If it is then you are right, and it'll be plenty fast... overtaking many desktop cpus anyways.

other than that the screen should've been over 1080p ... and my complaints stop there :)

Don't get me wrong... i love the M18x.

SIDE QUESTION: is the M17x-r2 officially phased out/discontinued? If i still have about 2 years worth of warranty... if it dies in the near future... will they replace it with the M18x? Just wondering...

6. Räy

Räy Guest

Reputations:
    You aren't going to notice any difference between the 990x and the 2920xm in games. If you need 6 cores then obviously the 990x is your choice. But for most people that aren't going with 990x or 2920xm the toss up is between a 2720 and 960. But quite simply the potential for ivy bridge cpus is a factor as well for the mx18. Certainly desktop cpus like the new Sandy Bridge E will be huge in terms of performance and benchmarks but how much will it affect games. It seems that most games have reached a plateau in which it all comes down to the gpu.

7. (((STEREO)))

Reputations:
    In games no. In raw cpu processing like encoding n such... yes. not saying i need that power... i'm saying i'm pretty sure AW could've pulled it off...

8. granyte

granyte ATI+AMD -> DAAMIT

Reputations:
    they chose the 4ghz factory overclock instead i think a 4ghz SNB cpu will kill the 990x

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    You won't need a desktop CPU with an OCed 2920XM. Plus, the SB E is still 2 quarters away.

I'd rather prefer having a 17" screen (more high quality panels available, including IPS). Even though it's beyond hope, I'd love to see an RGB LED 18.4"...

10. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Look at the X7200, it's a disaster. It's thicker than the M18x, weighs more despite being plastic, needs TWO PSU's to power 485M SLi + desktop processor and is ugly as sin. Would you really want AW to go down that path? If they had, M18x would have been off my list immediately. What they did with M18x is nearly perfect, I say nearly because as you said, the downgrade from 1200p to 1080p is one factor as is the lack of IPS/RGB LED.

However, performance wise, a 2920xm has been shown to match or beat a 980x in games. So the only people that would benefit from a desktop processor are the few that do heavy server work or use applications that require more than 8 threads--that is probably like 0.0001% of the AW consumer base. Remember, because M18x has IGP capabilities, you can utilize quick sync with the SB mobile and get some awesome results for encoding.

As a trade off for a desktop processor you would see:

1. increase in system weight due to thicker heat pipes needed
    2. increase in cost to develop a specialized system like this
    3. increase in width/depth because as it is, Dell had trouble squeezing in the CPU heatsink (notice they used a single pipe design).
    4. increase in thickness because bigger and louder fans would be needed
    5. The use of dual PSU's to power this disaster of a design

Desktop CPU's have no place in a notebook IMO, especially with the release of Sandy Bridge and soon Ivy Bridge. Frankly, I think Clevo is insane for making a notebook with a desktop processor and I wonder how many X7200s they have really sold? Probably not a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.