a laptop for graphic design work

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by biz4may, Jan 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biz4may

biz4may Newbie

Reputations:
    I am a graphic designer and shopping for a PC laptop that can handle large image file manipulations in and between PhotoShop, Illustration and InDesign. My budget is $1,500. Performance and stability are more important then portability. The only thing I know is that the higher RAM the better (512 MB is minimum). Do I need to be particular about the graphic card?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.[:D].

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Try looking at the Inspiron 8600 for a good screen that's within your budget.

As far as graphics go, I recommend finding a notebook with an ATI graphics card, min 32Meg or 64meg for a uwxga screen (don't skimp on the screen if your're a designer). ATI's products run cooler than nvidias in the mobile space, and ati is performance leader to boot (m10 or 9600pro is the top mobile solution).

I Pentium M with at least 1.4GHz speed, I wouldn't blow too much money going any higher. Spend more on RAM, 1GB of RAM is really nice to have if you can afford it.

3. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    A bit of a warning...the Inspiron 8600 has been getting a significant amount of negative reviews from users based on the research that I have done. There appears to be some quality issues with some of the parts they are using.

Also, some of the beefed up 8600's have a surprisingly low battery life for a Centrino notebook (although considerably better than other notebooks)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.