A good laptop for a Mechanical Engineering Student

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ikjot Singh, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikjot Singh

Ikjot Singh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Everyone,

I am going to start college in the beginning of January 2018 and need some advice on a laptop. After a few months or so of searching, I'm still not 100% sure which laptop to buy

I do not own a desktop so this will be my "desktop replacement"

1) What is your budget?
    Around $2500 (3000-3500 Canadian Dollars)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    I'll be buying it in Canada.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Alienware, Razer, MSI, Asus, Acer
    b. Dislike: None to be exact

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    My main use at COLLEGE would be CAD and Mechanical software like AutoCAD, Solidworks, Ansys, Catia and submitting assignments, and at HOME it would be Gaming (Not more than an hour a day) and completing assignments.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, I will be taking the laptop to college as well as using it at home so I need it to be somewhat portable.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, mostly CS:GO, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Rust, PUBG, GTA 5, Need for speed.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I need at least a battery life of 3 hours while using the above software at college without being plugged in.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Either is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    Anything 1080 and above, but 1080 is great enough.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    I do not have any particular preference in this field.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Somewhat Yes.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    By the end of this Year in December or the beginning of January 2018.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    Like my current one, a minimum of 4-5 years.

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I definitely want a primary SSD drive for windows and some games, and as for secondary storage, I can arrange for a brand new 1 TB samsung 850 evo ssd to replace the default HDD if it has one.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No.

Some laptops that I found interesting

*Razer Blade Pro FHD (17.3 inch screen, gtx 1060, 1080 display, 16 gb RAM, 256 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD, 70 wh battery)

*Asus Zephyrus (15.6 inch screen, gtx 1070 or max Q gtx 1080, 1080 display, 16 or 24 gb RAM, 512 SSD, 50 wh battery)

*Dell inspiron 7577 (15.6 inch screen, max Q gtx 1060, 16 gb RAM, 256 SSD + 1TB HDD, 56 wh battery)

*Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (AMD Ryzen powered laptop)

*MSI GE63VR/ GE73VR RAIDER

*Dell XPS 15
    (15.6 inch screen, gtx 1050, 4K display, 16 or maybe 32 gb RAM, 1 TB SSD, 97 wh battery)

I also will consider an Alienware or Acer Predator, but I find them heavy and less portable, but if I have no choice then would choose between one.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Msi 16L13/Eurocom tornado f5.
    Ask for a delidded cpu and unlocked bios

Or wait for clevo p750tm with 6-cores cpu

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Ikjot Singh and Vasudev like this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Are you actually kidding me? There exist a ryzen notebook, praise the lord!!!!

Get the ryzen notebook, stresstest temps 90c on absolute max, 79c while doing heavy gaming, rendering and such, 16 threads, good screen, good speakers, plenty ram, RX 580 card, where do you even buy this thing?!

To me this is a no brainer, go for the Ryzen notebook a desktop CPU that runs on 90c without modding the heatsink on stresstest is simply a must buy.

Ikjot Singh likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Quite the salesman rhetorico_O
    I couldn't help but think of wacky waving inflatable flailing arm tube man salesman

I would wait for Ryzen + nvidia GPU if you want Ryzen. AMD RX is pretty mediocre, at best RX 580 is a GTX 1060 / GTX 980 in power.

5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    RX 580 is more than enough for games on 1080p, also that vid was hilarious :biglaugh:
    Also the RX 580 outperforms the GTX 1060 in dx 12 titles, while the GTX 1060 outperforms in DX 11 titles, both are pretty close tho so in a nutshell RX 580 = GTX 1060.

Ikjot Singh, ThatOldGuy and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you want a true Desktop replacement then take a look at laptops suggested by @sicily428
    As for battery life DTR will have a shorter battery life compared to laptop chips because of high TDP components optimised for max performance. It will max out at 1-2hrs.
    Another thing is, the listed laptops aren't a desktop replacement laptop. Don't buy Razer since it has lot of issues.
    I too vote for EVOC 16L-1080 from Hidevolution or F5 Tornado from Eurocom. Mind you, the laptop is same but different naming.

Ikjot Singh likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    OP needs CUDA based rendering so that he can complete his projects faster than on AMD. OpenCL might be slow but since CPU can act as OpenCL device so CPU+GPU combination might do the trick. As for gaming Radeons are little slower than nvidia.

Ikjot Singh likes this.
  8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OP needs cuda?
    fight me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I told you, in DX 11 the GTX 1060 is very slightly better, in DX 12, the AMD destroys the GTX 1060 sometimes. Tell me how the AMD card is slower. In the future when DX 12 is the standard the RX 580 will be the clear winner, but as of now due to the lack of DX 12 titles, both cards are relatively even.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2017
    Jarhead, Ikjot Singh and Vasudev like this.
  9. soulvengeance

soulvengeance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    For buying GTX 1060 vs RX 580, I'd go for Radeon. When you set aside a budget of $2500 then GTX 1070 with Intel CPU either laptop or desktop grades sounds more value per $.

Ikjot Singh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.