A gem in hiding: 27" Benq EW2730v

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Zer0 C00l, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simplified

Simplified The Most Awesome

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, but I have decided to go with the Samsung S27A850T when it hits the shelves (the price of that monitor is very competitive here in Sweden).

Prices on Amazon.com
    S27A850D (older model) = 1379$
    Dell U2711 = 853$
    HP ZR2740W = 687$
    BenQ EW2730V = not listed, but 380$ is written in this thread.

Prices here in Sweden:
    S27A850T (newer model) = ~ 950$
    S27A850D = ~ 950$
    Dell U2711 = ~ 950$
    HP ZR2740W = ~ 930$
    BenQ EW2730V = ~ 548$

Seems like the Samsung is the most price worthy over here. The BenQ is probably an awesome screen, but after some research I will be going for the Samsung :)

Have a great day! :D

2. Rykoshet

Rykoshet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Again, I do stress. Buy 2 Catleaps for ~$800. Free international shipping.

3. Zer0 C00l

Zer0 C00l Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the dell does better with motion but the benq isnt terrible. And yes the benq has deeper blacks and more contrast than the smaller tv's as well. The only displays that have deeper blacks than this benq are higher end plasmas (benq darker than lg plasmas but brighter than samsung and panasonic plasmas) but plasmas dont come in anything smaller than 42" and you cant use them as a computer monitor unless u want the taskbar burned in. Obviously OLED screens are darker as they are the blackest display tech ever. And Local dimming Full array LED which costs 3000+ and cannot be had in anything under 46".

If contrast ratio is important to you and you like images that have pop there is no 27" monitor that gets even half as black as this one, thats how big the gap is.

Search for monitors checkerboard ANSI CR and i bet you wont find a single 27" monitor as good as this BenQ, I tried as I had a hard time believing this company makes the monitor with the highest contrast ratio but they do, their marketing is really poor and nobody even realizes this monitor has the best contrast ratio of everything.

I can admit when ur used to 2560x1440 and you switch to a 1920x1080 you quickly realize that you took for granted bein able to put 2 1280x1440 screens side by side. 2 websites fit perfect next to each other with 2560 horizontal res and it just doesnt work out nearly as good on a 1920 screen. The main time this annoyed me was when trying to write a paper and use the web for research. The 2560 screen can do both side by side easily but not the 1920 screen.

Like I was saying if you dont care about having the extreme resolution and you dont care about the 100% dead on perfect color accuracy for professional work than this screen has no equal at all. When watching a dark scene in a movie my u2711 looks like there is fog everywhere compared to the clear dark blacks of the benq. And those dee blacks make all the other picture attributes that much better.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A850DS/ZA-specs

That Samsung has a 1000:1 Dynamic CR if thats true the native CR must be VERY poor. Benq pulls over 3 close to 4 thousand to 1 NATIVE CR. It does have a nice screen with accurate colors but its still going to have very gray looking blacks.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can't say I understand the appeal of a 1920x1080 27", I hate my 23.6" 1080p because it's too large for the screen resolution, IMO.

5. Zer0 C00l

Zer0 C00l Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The appeal of the screen isn't the resolution it's the deep inky blacks and the wide viewing angles.

Google "IPS glow". Yes IPS screens have those super high resolutions and high color accuracy but the blacks glow like a Christmas tree, it's just part of the technology. If you use your pc mainly for gaming and media consumption then why do you NEED the extra pixels. I'd rather have blacks that are actually black than the extra pixels on an entertainment and media consumption pc that's used for work on the side occasioanally. And deep blacks dont just affect the black level. It makes the entire picture have more pop and excitement. It also makes the picture look crystal clear instead of foggy.

And all these screens you guys are comparing this to is like 1000 dollars vs 400. This screen less than half the price and has a nicer looking picture. The only downsides to the screen are 8ms response time vs 5ms on ips, not as accurate color as ips but way more accurate than tn and plenty accurate enough for everything except critical commercial work and lower resolution which would be nice if they offered a 600-800 dollar version that had 2560x1440 but for 380-400 1080p is very fair.

Unless you just HAVE to have 2560 resolution it's pretty foolish to spend more than double to get a picture that looks worse unless your job makes having the extra pixels invaluable. And I know for a fact first hand experience a dell u2711 side by side with the benq the dell has an uglier picture the lack of a deep black level isn't very noticeable until you have a completely superior black level next to it. Makes the 1000 dollar dell look like a very dull, sterile picture and just makes the benq really show off it's exciting contrasty picture.

Seems like people dont understand that resolution is actually just a very tiny aspect of what makes a monitor good.

6. Generic User #2

Generic User #2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so....why a 27" monitor over a 32" TV?

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can buy a catleap/shimian korean 27" for $370 2560x1440, same panel as the ACD27 and such. No reason to get a panel like this, 1080 is just too large for this size, needs to be much higher resolutioned to be worth it. U2711 calibrated is a very good monitor, more than enough for the vast vast majority of people out there, and imo if you want a 1080 monitor @ 27+ get a TV.

8. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I think using a TV on your desk is a bad idea. TV's are designed for a much longer viewing distance than a computer monitor. I've also read that most TVs have significant input lag which would be bad for gaming. I also wouldn't expect top-shelf performance from a 27" TV in this price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.