A Dumb PSU Question

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by ganzonomy, Jul 2, 2017.

1. skandal

skandal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think you would gain some efficiency if you had a PSU with less output. With that PSU, in idle, you will probably have an efficiency bellow 80%.
    In desktops is not a very good ideia to have a overpowered PSU. Efficency works in curves, so havin a 20% load on a 1Kw PSU can be worse than having 40% in a 700W one.

Because the 180w is cheaper :p The difference here is way smaller than desktop PCs, so buying a 240W probably won't have the same side effects as stated above.

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe charge rate is determined by the laptop EC firmware and not the charger.
    If you use a larger than required charger (good besides weight) but the laptop is hardwired to use the default charger settings, a larger charger won't do anything except run cooler.
    Now if you had a modded Bios which allows you to draw as much power as available, or a non cancer Bios which does the same thing, that's different.

3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yeah my point to the OP is a larger one will not hurt. It wont help either unless the machine is unlocked to utilize it.

4. ganzonomy

ganzonomy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You use a 330w PSU with an Alienware 13?!

5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My desk at work is not easy to fish power cable up and through. So I just perminantley mounted one in place. So doesn't matter if i use my 13, 14,17 or 18 I am covered in power needs.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  6. ganzonomy

ganzonomy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 180w gets a bit warm for me. If the 240w or 330w are capable of being plugged without any modding, I may get a 240w one (esp. since the 240w is still slim; the 330w looks HUGE)

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    240W will be more than enough.