980m vs 1060, What to go for?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by TheReciever, Feb 4, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    So on ebay I have found that the 980m is similarly priced. About 320 USD or there abouts.

I heard that the 980m can perform above the 1060 with a modded vBIOS and OC. IS said vBIOS available for download? If so will that make it worth getting over the 1060?

I have the Alienware 17 Ranger, with aftermarket 5 pipe heatsink and 11.4cfm fan at max speed. It used to keep the 780m at 56c @ load.

The benefits of the 980m is it just seems like a more versatile card, I can use it with my 120hz panel or LVDS. I will keep the LVDS panel and get the adapter to make it a secondary screen so that if the eDP function for w/e reason stopped working (after a planned GPU upgrade in the future) I can default back either way.

The 1060 is newer, but with less vram, and also less power draw. Only works with eDP 120hz panel as well.

My funds are tight, and I am also the type to consider every angle to make sure every box is checked before I move on something these days. So I would really appreciate the experience and perspective I lack.

Thanks

@Mr. Fox @Papusan @Ashtrix @EepoSaurus @Nomad @Raidriar

long2905 likes this.
  2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    no, you have to extract, modify, and reflash the vbios through a chip programmer.

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    The 980m?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    oh, for the 980m you need to find prema's v2 vbios. that is hard to find.

the 1060 requires manual flashing.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I wouldnt bother with modding the 1060, too much effort, too little return. Would just tune for optimal performance and call it a day on that one.

So basically, without premas v2 vBIOS, I wouldnt be able to bypass the +135 core limit on OCing, but the memory is still unlimited iirc?

I just saw that johnksss / slv7 have a vBIOS out, has there been any feedback on that particular version?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1060, newer features and believe me, you want 120hz plus with a panel.

7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    As you already mentioned, the 980M can run with 60Hz and 120Hz, MOSFET mods make it stable and more OCable, Maxwell BIOS tweaker if you learn how to do that, OCing it will make it run and surpass the stock MSI 1060. And the extra VRAM on the 980M, has an SLI port too. Add this all up it's expendable and re-sale perhaps, but now they are cheaper I guess.

Pascal runs cooler, maybe need to add more VRMs like 980M to get to run better. Also a full custom vBIOS with proper Falcon bypass hack needed to push it overvoltage and overclock (I might be wrong, didn't follow much on the Coolane's thread) And it carries that 13Mhz Pascal temp ridden cancer as well. The biggest disadvantage that I see is the reduced VRAM. But I think a bigger TDP headroom OCing it would get more performance vs a 980M which will consume ridiculous amounts of power (Not safe if it passes over 145+W for a long time on an Alienware 17 R1 IMO)

Based off those points and others if they chime in you can weigh them out. Also maybe some points on 1070 -> the 1070 Zotac is rare, P5000 is expensive and needs a full scale vBIOS mod but best bet I guess. 1070N MSI is another league of performance though along with the dremel mods. No idea where we can get the new Aetina 1070 GPUs with improved power delivery (On-paper).

Vasudev and TheReciever like this.
  8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I have both the 120hz eDP panel and 60hz LVDS panel. The 980m functions with both, the 1060 functions with eDP only.

Not sure if I care for w/e new features are on the 1060. I am looking only for pure FPS.

Yeah I wont be pushing the 980m that hard, 125w-135w would probably be my desired max as the Ranger does have issues delivering the power beyond that.

Pascal just seems like an overall PITA to overclock, seems more like its better to just tune it. I would have to get a programmer just to get started. Which for now isnt an option.

The planned GPU upgrade will be the 1080 (w/ supplement power) as that will likely be the only way to get it running correctly for this system.

Regarding the 980m, even with vanilla vBIOS, with a +135 core OC and w/e memory OC is considered standard, would it beat out the 1060 or nah?

9. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If similarly priced go for the 1060. For the 980m to outperform it it needs to be power FET and power limit modded, and it will burn over 200W.

For practical power consumption the 1060 will perform better.

10. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I think the 1060 + OC will be better suited. Probably won't need to do a TDP mod to increase the TDP because the power delivery of the motherboard might not be enough to handle the extra wattage.