980M Blackscreen on 84C+

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ashtrix, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Prema's vbios removes the power limit entirely so lower voltage can still pass the power limit that would normally be there and increase temps.

The summer here in Denver has really made my temps go up. Even my liquid cooled desktop CPU went up 4~6C and my 4940MX is idling at 50-55C so I just use the desktop since my 780 Ti fans can just increase their speed to dissipate their heat. The laptop I just use for stuff involving my phone since my desktop is running W10 insider preview. Once it cools down, my temps will go down again.

Ashtrix likes this.
  2. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Are you sure this isn't SVL7 vBios ? cuz as far as I know these are the exact attributes of his vBios and it also raises the temps but not as high as Prema one ... Woodz one usually runs stock clocks not with the 1202 overclock.

D2 Ultima and Ashtrix like this.
  3. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    There were 2 vBIOSes from Woodz one was OC which is this one and there was other one, Will flash that too and report, Thanks for reminding me that, I forgot to put that point in that run.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, that clock and 1.0V sounds like the slv7 vBIOS I've tried not so long ago. IIRC, it was crashing through a 3dMark 11 run, I suppose the voltage wasn't high enough as I think once increased to 1.055 or so it passed.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The older SVL7 vBIOS (and older @Prema vBIOS) is unstable with newer drivers. I believe those stability issues started with drivers optimized for the latest Tomb Raider game. Too much voltage can cause black screen problems, but 1.000V is not too much voltage. The black screen issues were the early warning signs of 980M GPUs that had problems for me. Definitely could have a bad or failing MOSFET that is putting too much load on the others. 980M was designed for 6 but for some reason they only use 3 and leave the other 3 solder pads empty. This issue is not caused by overclocking (as a clown recently suggested in another thread) as much as low grade components and cutting corners on the design (like leaving 3 MOSFETs off the PCB). Overclocking can accelerate issues with gimped hardware, but this happens to some folks that never overclock.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Ashtrix likes this.
  6. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    980Ms were designed to fail. End of story.

jaybee83, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think we will see the timer run out on more of them following the full release of Pascal mobile. We're just waiting on the countdown for the GeForce Maxwell cancer drivers to be released.

jaybee83, Papusan, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not going to disagree with you. Glad I have my warranty through May 2017 lol

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    That is too hot for 980M with an AW17 R1 as far as I know. By that mark, it's hotter than Kepler. I'm constantly around 88F in my room with really high humidity and the ONLY time I've seen 85c on even one of my cards in the last years or so is during Evolve at 120fps a couple of days ago during a 90F room temperature. 980M *IS* cooler than 780M; this would mean if you put a 780M in that machine with svl7's vBIOS you'd be overheating (92c+) at stock speeds in a BUNCH of titles.

What paste are you using on this again? As far as I know, my PC's cooling is inferior, my room is hotter/more humid, my cards are hotter, AND you're getting higher temps?

Ashtrix and Solo wing like this.
  10. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking at the 680M i'm seeing 4 MOSFETs (correct me if i'm wrong) This is just plain plain stupid NVIDIA.
    During Vbios trials, Prema told me that MOSFETS reach their stable supply limit, thus causing a black screen.
    Running Firestrike @1420/2905 @1.17v the card would blackscreen almost immediately on the First test.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Ashtrix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.