980M Blackscreen on 84C+

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ashtrix, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah I love winter lol. I think if I got up and covered my skylight it would drop the temps in my room but then I'd never be forced out of bed instead of sleeping all day (sun hits me around 2PM) haha.

But yeah heat + electronics... we all know how that goes. My desktop has even seen a spike and its liquid cooled. Although the 780 Ti handles its heat well enough, the CPU has gone up 4~6C

2. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Update -

Got the vBIOS from @woodzstack And as said by @Raidriar , the Prema's 1.067 stock voltage is high for the 980M. At-least for High ASIC (High leakage) cards I guess (77.1% here), Ran the Unigine Heaven BM with max focus / size / distance with ultra preset and ran in free form mode for 10 mins and this time no AC only Fans full blast. No bench nothing ran directly Heaven and avg fps was 25 with these settings maxedout iirc.

Comparison
    Prema vBIOS (no OC) & GPU Z no util throttle
    Temps - peaks at 84C and upon 85C card blackscreens.
    Clocks - According to HWinfo the Clockspeeds are GPU Clock - 1126.4MHz / Memory Clock - 1252.8MHz / GPU video clock - 1.036.8MHz
    Power - At 1.067v and 114W peak.

Woodz vBIOS (No OC) & GPU Z no util throttle
    Temps - peaks at 79C no BSOD.
    Clocks - GPU Clock - 1202.3MHz / Memory Clock - 1252.8MHz / GPU Video clock - 1106MHz
    Power - At 1.000v and 104.x W peak 10mins-15mins approx

Any thoughts on this ?

P.S - For the maximum load I always traversed on that rocky path.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm not seeing a question here...? The second vBIOS is probably the better one to use at this point. Keep your temperatures as low as possible, always

Ashtrix likes this.
  4. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is the ambient temperature?
    79c is still high for a 980M @ 1.000v

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Papusan and Ashtrix like this.
  5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    weird, not usual. Don't know what it could be try different drivers or check what was changed/updated since.

6. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I see, I didn't check them dang !
    But I expect it to be around 76-78F Max.

Weird in which sense ? I couldn't get you there... I used the 365.19 driver nothing else, I keep my Windows free of updates since the days of 7. Temp peaked that much due to consistent load with overlong and sharp rocky path, I felt it a bit smoother (tiny amount, sorry I didn't note down the numbers, Will try to run again with this vBIOS not with that extra volts ever again) maybe my eyes, GPU might be stressed with all that extra voltage..

My battery is not going to desktop mode, That's a change to mention which is another sad story.
    More here, If interested.

7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    I think your MISSING updates. Windows will prepare itself for updates by removing things that need to be updated that it has access too, even if you use a registry hack to prevent it from downloading and installing the updates, it can uninstall software and other things automatically, leaving you with poor performance.

My concern with your issue, is it was working initially correct ? and then started getting high temps, maybe, if you like, you can send me your laptop, and I can fix it, after finding 100% what the issue is, and return it. But the amount of trouble shooting, without more info is going to be difficult, most our our first conclusions are going to deduct its user error in installing the videocard and or missing software updates or bad drivers. Like 365 was never a great driver to begin with, and i's not old but its not new either.
    Are your results the same with other drivers ? What about after updating windows fully and updating the AWCC and OSD and such too. Are you 100% sure BOTH GPU and CPU fans are running full, and not just the CPU fan, is there blockage, is the fan dirty or what is the ambient temps. I do realise it's summer outside and some people are having heatwaves, and your getting hotter temps.. that CAN be it too. ALSO - I noticed your 10-20% overclocked (which should mean higher temps too)

Also I would like to point out, that our stock driver did better then Prema's in what you reported. Higher clocks AND less temps with LESS voltage, so maybe you should stop using the other vbios's. Maybe keep the laptop in a well vented area, and have something cool blowing air on it from underneath.

8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    79C is NOT hot for a 980M running Heaven. If you've maxed it out, Heaven will beat the crap out of any card. It is a worst case scenario for gaming (furmark doesn't count because it doesn't simulate gaming loads). Usually whatever you get in Heaven at max is what optimized titles like Witcher 3 and ROTT will max out at as well. Dropping AA settings will massively effect temperatures too.

Papusan and Ashtrix like this.
  9. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    First the first BSOD, that didn't happen before and the temp raised to 85C and then bam that was the first case, never before that and I don't remember the card temps unfortunately but I suppose it was 72C first time, got this from my post here, but later on temps increased to 78C that I remember. So I think this is a new issue, my guess, Sorry I can't be perfect.

And I will be needing the computer, all my work is saved on this machine only I guess I can't do that unfortunately... :-(, Thank you for asking though.

I will try with both drivers tomorrow (362 and 365, I chose this 365 because it's the last stable driver of that branch release), Fans are 100% maxed, no doubt about that. I keep the machine elevated by 30 degrees, fans are new as well both are from R4 and not even a year has passed, CPU fan is newer than the GPU & less dust no clogging, I can feel the air blow from behind the machine.

EDIT : AWCC is a bit older version (1 step back that's all) but I downgraded long back just a personal preference nothing much, It was fine since this version was being used since long time. OSD is the same since Win7 and the 8.1 too.
    Yes, My bad I forgot to mention that before maxing the Heaven I ran it with max AA and the temps were at 75-76 (started from 60s then to 68s later upper 70s, the run was quite long, wanted to make sure the temps don't increase on the voltage drop, no AC or no cooling pads nothing wanted to get a natural run) and then lateron when increasing those size / distance and the other factor the frames dropped and the temps increased.

I was very busy today, still wanted to test this out so didn't noted the numbers and time, other params. Will try to get a more streamlined run.

So, 79C heaven maxed is not good for a 980M ? Any ballpark estimate ?
    Will install TW3 today and run that too tomorrow for more clarity I suppose (Upto 21 of July things are busy for me, Will try my best)

EDIT : The summer impact is more than usual, I guess that hit most of us with these high TDP rated machines unless a 24/7 cool AC, Back at homeplace, I *always* ran with an AC while gaming to make sure the life of these machines stay good, here It's not the case.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

Try firestrike ultra stress test, it'll draw much more power than heaven on 4k + max tess

Ashtrix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.