980M Blackscreen on 84C+

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ashtrix, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Yeap, if i post a picture of how many thermal pads i have stored up , people will have a seizure.
    End of the day anything above 7w/mk doesnt really doesn't make a difference, since the heat sink cannot dissipate the heat fast enough to keep up as it is.

@tomX and Ashtrix like this.
  2. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Mine is customized to the ASIC of my cards in my machine, its unlikely to be stable in another machine.

Ashtrix likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Every degree you can reduce..., 2-3 degrees lower temp in bench can be the difference between success or failure:D

Solo wing and Ashtrix like this.
  4. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I have a feeling is simply a poor quality heat sink not making good contact. It happens. I had this problem on my CPU heatsink recently. 4.2 ghz would give me temps that approach 100 degrees. Although it's a roll of the dice I purchased a new heatsink and now 4.5 nets me under 80 degrees under load.
    If I were you I'd just buy a new heatsink. It's probably cheaper than experimenting with expensive Fijipoly pads which I think is unlikely the cause.

Ashtrix likes this.
  5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Could be that, for sure. Most common TBH

6. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Seems more likely to me, Since the heat up is really too much of lately and never had this with running maxed out for long sessions !!

Heatsink and Fujipoly same price, I ordered it, Will test everything out now...thanks for the idea +rep.

I like this machine and a personal reason also makes me not to part with this soon, Hope I get things fixed.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    jaybee83, TBoneSan and Papusan like this.
  7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've had so many heatsinks in my SM-A... they all suck...

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The truth is the voltage on the 980M is so obscenely high....without Prema's help, the card would have surely fried itself for now. I'm running undervolted same as Ethrem, though his may be a slightly stronger undervolt. I'm running stock boost cocks, but at 1.000V cap instead of that ridiculous 1.0675V it originally ran. Since then my black screens and temperatures have been phenomenal in the M18x R2, topping out around 73C in my warm room or even under 70 C in a cool room. 980M should not be volted so high, its just too much in such a confined space. Boost clocks on the standard prema vBIOS we are talking like 140W power consumption, no wonder nobody is able to keep it cool

Ashtrix likes this.
  9. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not that much further under you. Prema stopped at 975mV. I'm pretty sure these cards could go lower too. I still can't game though... Summer here in Denver is one of the hottest on record and our A/C just can't keep up... it regularly goes over 80F in my room now. My 4940MX is idling @ 50-55C...

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I feel you man, the ambient temp in my room is 82+ because the vents do not work in my room. I'm ready for winter!

Ethrem likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.