980M Blackscreen on 84C+

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ashtrix, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    almost every install is a custom job, even a "plug and play" as many of yous started calling them.

Take some strips of paper and judge if things make contact by sticking it between th heatsink and the card to see if the pads make contact in the area's you can not see well enough (like pull/tug the strips to see tension)

Always do a complete visual inspection on various planes. See that the heatsink does not bend the card and or the heatsink is not bent itself.

Remember that thermal paste is there to fill in microscopic air gaps. Air has higher thermal resistance. But no matter what thermal paste you use, copper is twenty times better. So - less is more , here. Just need to fill in the spot that are nearly invisible to the eye. Most pastes should be almost see through if you can spread them thin enough.

The only expert thing is - to make sure the heatsink make perfect contact when it is on the GPU, you would have to thoroughly test this before playing around and keeping it uber thin. I've gotten better results using peanut butter then friends of mine get using ICD7 or MX-4 or such, just cause I knew better what to do. Anyhow , some thermal pastes are special, like diamond ones - do not spread easily and will scratch and produce a lot of volume and alot of resistance physically. Some are super thin and grease like and or liquid metal. You could almost achieve the same results using a thing Bearing Oil. But this never stops the market from all the hype selling snake oils, erhm Snake Paste ?

2. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Im off to zzz, but send me a PM which is which you need and I will see if I have it.

3. woodzstack

Reputations:
    just readin the OP now, something seems off, those are VERY high temps, too high infact, From my experience, something is not being said, or information is missing in context. I've seen issues like this happen and last only a day, while people didn't bother installing the windows updates, that were stopping the fan profiles from running the fans, especially on alienwares. We had such an update just a week ago even, and you know windows they now install updates without telling you it happened, and not all of them are even found in the history.

Also, ambient temps, skill in thermal heatsink, how much of the temps from other components are bleeding into the chassis, are the fans making a jets taking off noise ? Because they usually do emit like 80+dba at like 100% fan speeds at 75C+ Thats almost like yelling.

I have small solutions to help people bleed some thermals into the chassis too, using TEP thermal modules that stick to the motherboardchassis and touch the back side of the GPU/Videocard too. These helps when in long gaming sessions.

Normal operating for a 980M when not more then 10-15% OC should be no higher then 70C when in load. 55C when idle. Stock you can minus more, more like 65C in load/ gaming DX12 max details...and like 45C idle. There is overwhelming number of people reporting thier temps to me in thier setups, so I'm well aware of what should be expected. The only time I see higher temps like your reporting is when soemone uses other vbios from other people. we have a full staff of multiple people hired and paid full time salaries to work on vBios, if you think using one you find on a site without knowing what your getting is better, then you should also seek the provider of that vbios out. We have dozens of vbioses for every card and are CONSTANTLY testing them. We have eliminated ALL throttling on all models we support, and it's been months if not years for most models. Did not need overclocks or extra voltage or more watts. (Not that those things do NOT affect performance, they do, just like not having enough power in the laptop or the CPU throttling can also make the GPU throttle. Throttling CPU means throttling GPU BTW, so keep that in mind too. Tetsing a CPU's max frequency for a test but WITHOUT GPU load it like a Shotput Athlete to throw darts, and see how far he can throw them and how much reserved energy he has)

maxime506 and jaybee83 like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

I believe he got the vbios from prema

5. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Exactly ... Prema vBios turned my GPU into a furnace as it makes the card run at 1.065V vs the stock vBios where the card peaks at 1.035V ... Maybe it's DELL lacking cooling system ... I would say switch back to stock vBios as apart from benching the difference in performance is minimal or switch to SLV7 vBios as it makes the card peak at 1V @1202 MHZ core clock & with the exemplary cards of @woodzstack 1V is quite enough to run at these clocks and the temps will drop significantly.

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    @Ashtrix, the problem is your heatsink.. For the 980M, you need the 3 pipe heatsink to keep it cool.. The 2 pipe 860M heatsink can't keep the 980M cool lol..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Dude I'm having 3pipe.

Papusan likes this.
  8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Ah ok, thought the 860M came with 2 pipe heatsink..

I guess the best you can do is get some good Phobya XT 7W/mK pads, arrange them properly and get some good IC Diamond paste...

I would also reach out to Prema to get an UV 980M vBIOS... If @Prema is ok, @Ethrem could share his one and you can give that a shot...

9. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:

No the 860M was 2pipe 75W, I had got a new triple pipe one for this. Ordered the Fujipoly btw..

TomJGX likes this.
  10. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I personally think Fujipoly is a waste of money.. It's just absurdly priced and the temp difference you get form it for the money is well minimal... Well it's your money :p

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.