980M Blackscreen on 84C+

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ashtrix, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Hello people,

Background - upgraded GFX module around March 2016 with new heatsink and thermal pads, had to use the upgrade kit's low end pads on the back on one vRAM stack, another one from my old heatsink (860M from Oct 2013) onto another vRAM stack on back. Next is I ran quite good AAA titles but sometimes temps went past 80C don't remember exact nos & It was fine.

Issue
    Now after a long break since April, this month I started AAA with pending Bo3 before it was Dota2 mostly, after a quite long time temps went upto 85C and first encounter with blackscreen had to power shutdown did a repaste immediately but later didn't put that much of load without AC and had to perfrom an OS wipe didn't test Bo3 but Technomancer maxedout and after quite a time faster the temps reached 80+ and upon 84C couldn't see the 85C number but I'm pretty sure that It reached that point blackscreen agai, Replicated same with Heaven maxedout too, Panicking I repasted 2 times in which the last repaste was a clumsy one which caused scratches on the GPU core / too much alcohol waste seeping into the mobo caused removal of the mobo film and dry it out (yeah, dumb asf), removed that Blacktape since some fine lint got stuck, thought that might be the cause. But now after that messy TIM job and hassle I din't bother to test again past 84C mark, Afraid I might fry the GPU. Side note - waiting for a few components to finish off my U3 mod.

A helpful person Solo wing (M17x R4 with 980M owner) said his card also did sometimes blackout with 73Cs on high load due to MOSFET overheating and no repsate helped until fujpoly pads helped to sit at 67C and no issue since then.

Is Maxwell really that bad or something wrong here ? I'll proceed to order this Fujipoly and some extras for a better TIM job, Posting this so that I may learn something that I didn't knew & might be of much help in fixing this. Any tips / thoughts are welcome & much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time & Patience.

P.S : To mention yest I noticed the card fans were not on on normal load no game, temps went upto 85C and system didn't put that blackscreen, Immediately I turned the fans on.
    Also no OC /OV, Light benching for Driver testing.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    had the same issue with my 980M mxm, I'd suspect the VRMs overheating or not able to supply enough power to the card

you are at stock 1.075v w/prema right?

@Mr. Fox might have some more insight to the vrm cooling solution

3. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    1.065 is the default not .075 IIRC. Yeah that only.

4. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Double

5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Hmm, my previous AW18 with single 980M had 1.075 though

How thick is the thermal pad required on the vrm? AFAIK the fuji/thermal grizlly pads don't compress very well.

6. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I used the same layout as the stock one, I don't have any snaps, But added a small set of non standard pads to some blocks which were exposed & I guess the standard rectangular pads size is 1mm thick.

Edit : Search is not working at all, couldn't pull out links..

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I'd say if you had to stack any pads, it's making bad contact.

@woodzstack can provide some insight maybe?

8. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are two types of Fujipoly pads, the difference is thermal conductivity.
    - 11.0 W/mK are easily compressed, and flexible, it's also cheaper.
    - 17. W/mK (the ones I got) , less flexibility harder to compress but had no problems with it at all. 1.0mm fills the contact gap nicely and cutting to size is easy.

Putting quality thermal pads might not affect core temperature directly. It will however reduce ambient heat surrounding the core and the higher thermal conductivity the faster heat is transformed from the card to the heatsink.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  9. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I don't have the stock vBIOS, I'd have tested with that first. Lost it with Win7 format back then b4 Maxwell. @woodzstack could you please help me with the vBIOS, If it's the voltage then I might request Prema for an Uv BIOS.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  10. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    What exactly do you need ?

jaybee83 and Ashtrix like this.
  11. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I backed up the vBIOS that you gave it to me with the card but I lost it, sry.
    Could you please pm me the vBIOS for the AW17 980Ms ? I would like to test again with that vBIOS. And If you have any idea about this too, It'd be great.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.