98.7% pure Copper Shims for Copper Modding - CPU's, GPU's and Chipsets - Custom Sizes Available in any quantity from 1 to 1000

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by K-TRON, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rishwin

Rishwin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, but those shims have the exact same finish to them as the contact surface of CPU's, which is done on purpose to give the thermal paste contact area to fill in and properly adhere. A scratched surface has more surface area than a 100% flat surface, which has a direct correlation to the amount of heat transferred.

If it had a 100% mirror finish and you put thermalpaste on both sides and wedged it between a headspreader, the pressure + lack of friction would probably slide the copper shim right out.

Anyone who does any sort of woodworking would use the exact same principle when bonding 2 pieces together - You scratch into the contact points of both pieces and then cover it with glue, the scratches provide friction and resistance as well as allowing glue to fill them for complete surface contact.

I'm saying slight surface scratches aren't going to affect it, i'm not saying to drag your CPU behind your car and see if it still works.

2. Cra86sh

Cra86sh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I need a customized copper shim for my hp dv8 CPU how can I submit the dimensions and pay? Do you have certain website or account on eBay? Please reply as soon as possible

3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    PM sent
    10 char

4. kolias

kolias Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi there im interest for some coppers too.but i dont know the size about that.
    can somebody provide me the size?
    my lap is as my sig below.
    thanks.

5. eKretz

eKretz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, there is some serious misinformation being spread around here. A rough surface finish is not what you want here. Best heat transfer on a surface to surface application will be with the two flattest surfaces you can get making as much contact with each other as possible over their entire surfaces. Surface area "increases" due to surface irregularities are a negative in this instance, since they will reduce total surface area in contact. This means that thermal past will have to bridge the gap, and as we all (should) know, thermal paste does not conduct heat as well as copper.

Second, if these plates are not lapped or ground flat, you are wasting your time putting them between your die and heat sink, since they will reduce the total surface area in contact, and again, you will be filling the gap with paste, which doesn't conduct nearly as well as the two surfaces being in intimate contact.

6. Cantin

Cantin Newbie

Reputations:
    i need a couple. However, I require 1 shim with a thickness of .9mm and another with .7mm. You posted your max thickness is .66mm. I guess .66 is close enough to .7, but any suggestions on where i can get a .9mm shim?

7. SlimShady

SlimShady ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&

Reputations:
    What shim thickness would you folks recommend to increase the cooling effectiveness of an M17x-R3's CPU?

8. unphoto

unphoto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thread hijack:

Another one for the brain:
    If the Copper can transfer heat so fast from heat source to cooling source....wouldn't it be limited because of the thermal paste?
    Thermal paste can transfer 8~10W/m·k max? Copper can transfer WAY faster then that, so even though you would submit the copper, it can transfer heat as fast as the slowest component....right?

I know it will be allot faster then a regular Thermal pad thats rated @ 6W/m·k (Although Fujipoly has a 17W/m·k pads)
    There is also the heat resistance wich will be way more efficient then a thermal pad can ever be...
    Do we have some users and benchmarks?

Back OT:
    Nice to see we still have some advanced cooling inventions going on.
    I hope you do good business here K-TRON!

9. eKretz

eKretz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, it is limited by the paste. That's exactly why it is so important to have the very least amount possible between the CPU and the heat sink. The paste gets squeezed out to the point that it's pretty much not even there when you have good contact and 2 surfaces that are as near perfectly flat as possible. It only fills the areas that don't have good contact so that there are no areas that have NO contact.

10. acoustic

acoustic Newbie

Reputations:
    K-Tron, are you still out there? I need a copper shim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.