9750 upgrade past 7800 GTX ?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by elvn, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvn

elvn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I've been researching some high-end sager laptop models and configurations for awhile now. I decided I want an NP9750. I know the amd 4xxx CPU 's and 6800 video cards are upgradable to FX-60 and GeForce Go 7800 GTX in general . I was just wondering if its would be reasonable to think that the 7800 GTX might later be upgradable to some future nvidia portable pci express video card with a bios update like that which is required to upgrade a 6800 to a 7800.

I'm hoping that the dual core 64 bit computer will continue to perform well when more programs begin to support dual core and 64 bit. I believe a big performance difference will be the video card in the future, so I was wondering if there was some hope of upgrading it past 7800 GTX at a later date. I am ordering a 4400+ cpu that I will probably upgrade to a FX-60 much later when the prices drop alot.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regardless, I am almost set on ordering:

sager NP9750 - V
    17" WUXGA+ (1920 x 1200)
    Athlon X2 4400+ (2.2GHz; L2 Cache: 1MB x 2)
    256MB GDDR3 nVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX PCI-Express 16x
    2048 MB DDR SDRAM (400 MHZ, PC-3200, Dual Channel) (2 x 1024 MB)
    100 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM) SATA

8x DVD+-R/RW 4x+DualLayer CD-RW (Pioneer DVR-k16)
    10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet/Lan network card
    GIGA-BYTE SUPER 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Wi-Fi Card
    Integrated 7-in-one Card Reader
    Integrated Camera/Internal Subwoofer module

1 warranty + 2 yr extended warranty

--- elvn

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think that an upgrade in the future for the graphics card is going to be possible as long as it is in the same format as the current cards, which I don't see why it won't be - MXM is standardized.

Yeah, you might need a BIOS upgrade, although I can't confirm . . for the FX-60, yes, you do.

I see that you're getting the extended warranty - I wouldn't get it if it is from Phillips Magnavox - I haven't been hearing great things about them. Bad communication, etc. Some Sager dealers don't even offer it because they have had problems.

If you do want an extended warranty, I would suggest ordering from a dealer that offers the extended warranty through them - www.discountlaptops.com does. They are very reputable, just look at their rating on ResellerRatings.com.

About dual-core processors - they can definitely help with your games. I have a Pentium 4 3.2GHz w/ HT Technology in my desktop. There are two games I have that have patches that enable the full power of a dual core or hyper-threaded processors, Quake 4 and Call of Duty 2. There is a huge performance increase, be sure to check that out. I have great anticipation for future games with this type of patch/feature.

3. elvn

elvn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.

One of major downsides to buying a laptop as far as I was concerned in the past is that they never were upgradable other than alittle memory and storage space. With the newer generations of laptops incorporating desktop cpu's and more stardardized slots this seems to be changing for the better.

I know a new motherboard type is on the horizon soon that will limit the cpu upgrade of this 9750 to the FX-60, but I will take some comfort in the possibility that the video card in the unit may be further upgradable in the future. I've found on my desktop PC that with alot of system memory you can keep up with state of the art games for quite awhile through video card upgrades as long as you have a halfway decent processor. (There is another processor in our pc - the GPU. It even has its own heatsink and fan nowadays). :D

By the way, just for a comparison, I actually configured a fragbox and similar lan boxes with the same specs as this 9750 I'm ordering. The box cost as much as the 9750 without an LCD screen added to the cost yet ! :-b I was just curious -- I dont like the :cough: form factor of the fragboxes vs the DTRs.

About the warranty -- I have actually been looking at discountlaptops for my purchase all along, but I appreciate you steering me in the right direction for a reputable extended warranty. :) Very cool of you to look out for people like that.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No problem. :) As a Sager owner myself, helping people buy one is a great experience.

With your laptop having top-notch specs as it does, and especially with the dual-core and Go7800GTX, you'll ride the wave of technology for a while . . . you won't need to upgrade for a few years.

That's a beast of a laptop there . . congratulations.

5. Albsterama

Albsterama Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The only input i would add to this is that if the 7900GTX has the same power requirements as the younger 7800GTX, there should not be an issue.

In the past the Sager 9860 and 9880 all had upgradeable GPUs from Sager - at a cost between $600 and $900. The last upgrade option offered was for the 7800GTX and for the price, it included a new 220W power supply and a mobo revision to 6.x.

The 9750 should follow the same trend based on the same chasis and share the same 220W power supply (obviously diff mobo though).

Fingers crossed the up coming 7900GTX is just a self mount one with no additional hardware changes to support it. Aside from F.E.A.R at the highest res, there is nothing that the current 7800GTX can't chew up....

Cheers...

6. Blowfish64

Blowfish64 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    While it is upgradeable in terms of using the same format, MXM, the graphics card has never been upgradeable in reality. The Sager 9890 (the Pentium version of the 9750) originally was the 9860, then 9880, now 9890 because the motherboard did not supply enough power to upgrade from the 6800 Go to 6800 Go Ultra to 7800 GTX. If Clevo's trend of supplying the bare minimum power necessary and NVidia's trend of having their newer cards require ever more juice both continue, I would not bank on being able to upgrade without shelling out close to the price of a new computer. Maybe next time they'll get it right, but they're 0 for 3 at the moment, so you should not necessarily plan on the upgradeability in your decision.

7. Albsterama

Reputations:
    I hope they do get it right with the 220W power supply in the 9890 and 9750.

Not sure how you got the 0 for 3 since Sager/PCT has offered the upgrades:

7800 GTX upgrade as follows:
    http://www.notebookforums.com/showpost.php?p=1285639&postcount=1

6800 Ultra upgrade as follows:
    http://www.notebookforums.com/showpost.php?p=887664&postcount=1

6800 DDR3 or the Ati X800 upgrade:
    http://www.notebookforums.com/showpost.php?p=664926&postcount=1

The 7800 GTX and the 6800U has been expensive because of the mobo and new powersupply, at around $800 to $900 depending on the discount/Sager branding.

Not exactly cheap but still far less "than a new" computer with the same GPU.

Hmmh...one good thing about the Dell XPS was that it catered for the 6800 Ultra and then the 7800 GTX to their credit and the cost of between $300 and $450.

Cheers...

8. Ice-Tea

Ice-Tea MXM Guru NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I already asked Chazzman about this, but there seem to be some people (Albsterama) that know a lot about Clevo/Sagers, so I'll post the question here too...

What's the deal with MXM/Clevo? Early reports show that the D900T was MXM, now it's supposedly 'proprietary'.

Same thing with the Sager 9750/Clevo M570 series.

Does anyone know more about this?

Ice-Tea

9. Albsterama

Reputations:
    i'm not here...:lol:

I've not heard about the Clevo/MXM being "proprietry" as far as I know otherwise why would Sager have the X800 in the 9860/9880 series along with the other nvidia 6800 gpus. Having said that, I don't see an ATI (X800) in the 9890 or 9750, maybe ATI has been too slow as compared to nVidia.

If it really bugs you, i might suggest you email luke@pctorque.com since he knows more about the Sager line, like the deep stuff...

10. Ice-Tea

Ice-Tea MXM Guru NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Actually, it was Luke who told me they were proprietary, at least for the D900T.

The MXM world is a G**da** jungle :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.