9550 throttling woes making the machine almost unusable :(

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by CraftyClown, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Nick Dell Make Me Cry

Nick Dell Make Me Cry Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey CraftyClown, and everyone in this discussion!

Thanks for posting about this issue and congrats on getting your system working!

I've just received the 9550 refurbished from Dell outlet - and am in a similar situation, though it seems even worse/quicker than yours, the throttling kicks in immediately. Doesn't go over 7 watts...

I am curious as to your stated:

DPTF Version A08 (where did you get this from?)

and

BIOS 1.14

I have just installed what seem to be the latest for each, being the below:

Dell XPS 15 9550 1.5.1 System BIOS
    Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework / Version 8.2.10900.330, A03
    Release date : 06 Jul 2016 / Last Updated : 08 Feb 2017

But the felt no gains.

If you could take a minute to show me how to get the versions you used I'd appreciate it.

I also wish to edit video, currently this is slower than my XPS 13, I get 800Mhz instantly and can export 4k at 1 fps.. and the temperature is 40-50 degrees. Both CORE and GPU PL1s light up red straight away.

Thanks in advance!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    use a stand and see if it helps in reducing temps.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Send it back, probably why it got returned the 1st time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Vasudev and pressing like this.
  4. Nick Dell Make Me Cry

Nick Dell Make Me Cry Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks guys.
    I don't think it's cooling as it doesn't go over 45 degrees.

I disabled the dptf stuff and got to see that the cpu does go over 30% utilisation and 0.8ghz. But the temp went to 97 so I stopped the render.

Going to send it back. Shame.

Thanks again.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. dhrumstix

dhrumstix Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb I've been reading all the posts about using Throttlestop for the i7-6700HQ and so far I've been getting much better temps when doing isolated CPU stress tests with a 150mV undervolt. However, whenever I run a simulataneous GPU and CPU stress (to simulate gaming) or play a game for an extended period of time, I get TDP throttling that kills my performance. I haven't been able to find a good explanation about what TDP throttling actually means and how to fix it. Can you help?

P.S. I haven't opened the case and repasted or added thermal pads yet (all the supplies are in the mail).

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/tdp-and-power-limiting-haswell.766743/

Vasudev likes this.
  7. dhrumstix

dhrumstix Newbie

Reputations:
    So I read through that post and I don't quite understand what the solution to my problem is. When playing games I get PL1 throttling in both my "core" and "gpu" as well as EDP OTHER throttling under "ring" in throttlestop. Would adjusting the package power limits or primary plan power limits help? If so, by how much and is there risk involved?

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Risk is involved as you are running more power through system than expected so can shorten lifespan and/or kill system. Or brick it with RW-Everything. Etc...

I run package power limits at 65 watts with no issues. PP0 current limit of 90. Sometimes need to reset.

If you increase certain factors too much, system will ignore your requests.

In ThrottleStop (turbo power limits) you can set package power limits and primary plane power limits/time. I think ThrottleStop does not have access to some registers including a MSR and maybe more. Give it a try.

Alternatively you can try Intel XTU, which is very buggy but seems to access all the registers; you need to check Intel XTU constantly as it has a tendency to randomly reset or change your settings. Note you can NOT run ThrottleStop and Intel XTU at the same time. You should have identical settings in both programs so if you swap programs things don't get confused.

You could also run ThrottleStop & run RW-Everything (everytime you start to access one additional register which seems to work for my system).

I have some posts you can search for my 9550 6300HQ. Also, during the past few months there are some details on the dedicated ThrottleStop thread.

Also people are using MSI Afterburner to adjust GPU on 9560; look at that thread as it might work on 9550 also.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    6700HQ have locked down PL1 power limit (45W). You can't increase that Power limit for your chips.

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Correct - I should clarify. The 9550 vrm has zero headroom to boost current in any case.

But....my trick does something to reduce the notorious PL throttling in the 9550. It is clearly fooling something in the system allowing benchmarks and games without PL throttling. This was more "luck" from tinkering than any exciting "discovery".

The most obvious improvement was stable CPU speeds using MSI RealBench (which kills this laptop as it tests both CPU and GPU).

That is with a 6300HQ; your 6700HQ runs much hotter so you might not have as much "luck".

The other "trick" with the 9550 and 9560 is that Dell purposely throttles when the vrm gets above about 76*C (PL throttle interestingly). I think Dell did that because the vrm is so undersized. Regardless, if you can keep temps there lower than about 76*C, that removes another route to PL throttling. (labeled as one of the ambient sensors in HWiNFO64).

Papusan likes this.