9550 throttling woes making the machine almost unusable :(

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by CraftyClown, Oct 13, 2017.

1. CraftyClown

CraftyClown Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I'm almost at my wits end here. I'm a video editor who purchased the Dell 9550 after hearing recommendations that it was a good laptop for Premiere editors. Sadly excessive throttling is causing it to be anything but.

When I render anything out of Premiere TDP throttling kicks in after about 5 minutes and within another 5 minutes it's down to 1ghz and stays there until the encoding is stopped.

I have re-pasted and replaced my thermal pads and I have also undervolted to -1.25 for the core and cache and -0.95 for the iGPU with Throttlestop. My idle temps are about 31 degrees which seems fairly good.

So what gives? Surely 5 minutes of load isn't enough to send this machine into a complete nose dive.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious, but I can't seem to see the wood for the trees :(

[​IMG]

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your CPU shouldn't be throttling at 82 degrees, this sounds like a power issue to me. I don't know much about that specific laptop but it sounds to me like either your VRM is overheating or your power supply is dodgy.

CraftyClown likes this.
  3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, CraftyClown and don_svetlio like this.
  4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    I'm putting a fiver on the pad replacement being an issue.

CraftyClown and pressing like this.
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What kind of re***d would put mosfets and chokes right next to the CPU and GPU.And I thought Clevo is bad at designing cooling solutions, this is next level awfulness.

Yeah this is NOT a CPU problem, 82c is totally fine especially when rendering something.

CraftyClown and Arrrrbol like this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is an ultra thin laptop with limited cooling and limited power available from the vrm. You can do some tweaks to help but basic physics are unavoidable.

You may be hitting power limts. HWiNFO64 displays some temp/thermal/power limit throttling flags. What are they?

You are hitting all CPU cores hard as shown in ThrottleStop C0%. The vrm throttles on these at around 77*C (usually see that in 1st ambient temp sensor). Those could drive PL throttling (well thermal or PL flags are a bit vague here). Or you are hitting the roughly 45 watt limit of the CPU or the watt limit of the vrm.

Can you show all the FIVR & TPL settings on a screen shot?

One great trick to boost cooling performance is to raise the back of the computer a few centemetres; make sure you use a block of wood or rubber that is the full length of the factory black foot. Make sure you don't block the fan intake.

Also you might want to benchmark your thermals against those posted in the undervolt-repaste 9550 i7 thread. Maybe use the Prime95 & Heaven & ROG RealBench scores of others. That will give you a good idea if your repaste should be redone. Sometimes it takes a few repastes. A few repasting traps here:

1. the heatsink is sometimes warped. You can rebend it but be extremely careful as a few experienced guys broke theirs

2. What thermal pads did you replace? The VRAM pads? What did you use? If you used higher-performance pads, they are dense and if not very carefully measured will force the heatsink upwards so the heatsink makes poor contact with the chips. Fluffy low-performance pads work best for most people. [EDIT - THIS IS WHAT GONZO IS SAYING ABOVE]

3. Did you clean chips & heatsink carefully before applying thermal paste?

4. What thermal paste did you use? Is it a low-pressure paste? What application method? Did you apply the absolute min possible? Did you apply the paste, tighten the screws, remove and check quality of repaste (should be even thin film you can see good applications via web search), clean up and reapply?

Finally, there is a trick via Intel XTU to "boost" power limits I posted somewhere. That is a bit dangerous but after you exhaust all these steps, you can consider trying that out. But keep a close eye on your thermals as it could kill you laptop quickly or at least shorten its lifespan significanlty.

Study that 9550 thermals & repaste thread as everything is there.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Vasudev and CraftyClown like this.
  7. CraftyClown

Reputations:
    That's a slightly newer version of the laptop, however I've already applied the fixes suggested for the most part. As I understand it not everyone thinks the idea of piling thermal pads up to make contact with the case is a great idea, so I've not bothered with the last suggestion on that link.

I've had the laptop for over a year now, so it's too late to send it back.

I don't think it's that. The problem was like this from purchase and has not changed after my pad replacement. The idle temps have reduced however.

The ambient readings in HWINFO64 never seem to go ridiculously high. How do I know which sensor is the VRM?

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Virtually all 9550s had bad contact with 1 or 2 vram chips (one user had about a dozen 9550s and had the problem on every single laptop).

So you could have problems before and after the repad. Just different problems. Read my comment above

See my comment above for location of the ambient temp indicato. Your VRM is at PL limit throttling level.

CraftyClown likes this.
  9. CraftyClown

Reputations:

Thanks Pressing, I'm going to try and digest your other post and will respond to that shortly.

In the mean time however there is one thing I am confused about. Why does the throttling continue to increase until the laptop is bought to it's knees, despite the temperatures all dropping considerably? TDP stays throttled until the second I remove the load. You can see from those ambient temps in my first screen shot that the temperatures are no longer high at all, but still the throttle remains.

10. CraftyClown

Reputations:
    Anything out of the ordinary there?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]