9550 - Dedicated Graphics Card fried - How to Fix? Where do I buy which part?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nosauce, Jul 9, 2018.

1. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    don't have a heat gun, but I do have an oven. I'm currently backing everything up as I contemplate this option. In your experience has putting Mobo in oven ever do more damage to it?

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    I mean it can but if you take everything off that will easily come off it will help. Just remember, plastic melts, lol. I would still cover the rest of the board with aluminum foil to help reflect some of the heat. I'm sure there are youtube videos on it. I'd go for it since you don't have much to lose (provided you want to use your dGPU).

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope

I am lol

4. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you can get a heatgun somewhere, it is a slightly safer method. Obviously putting electronics into ovens and heating them up isn't exactly a risk-free procedure. When I took my previous laptop out of the oven, the green stuff around the GPU chip was completely full of bubbles. I honestly thought it wouldn't work. But after letting it cool down for a couple of hours, the laptop booted and I had a working GPU again.

That said, if the laptop still works, I wouldn't risk it (though again, with a heatgun, the risks are lower as you can concentrate the heat only on the GPU chip, while protecting the rest with aluminium foil). I would only do it if the entire thing is dead, or if you plan on recycling the motherboard. I mean, you can always use it as a secondary laptop for non-GPU workloads, or you can sell it as-is. Hell, you can even still completely use it with an eGPU.

nosauce likes this.
  5. nosauce

Reputations:
    hmmm... decisions. Definitely will invest in a heat gun if I decide to reflow the GPU. Will report back if I go through with it. Thanks!

6. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, reflowing/reballing a BGA GPU doesn't work:

pressing likes this.
  7. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your best bet of fixing this laptop is finding someone like Louis Rossmann (his company only fixes apple products) who does component level repairs on XPS 15 motherboards.

8. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't have time to watch that but I assume it's going to talk about the limited time that it works for. I will tell you out of the ~100 reflows I did, I only had a handful come back within the 6 months I told them they could come back where I would do it again for free. I also took the time to explain the process as well as the risks and benefits.

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think Louis Rossman's point is that GPUs often fail for other reasons.

With the 9550 I haven't seen many GPU failures so no idea what would be the cause and the fix. . .

10. nosauce

Reputations:
    I'm liking the HP Spectre that I'm testing out. So I'll try out the reflow with heatgun once I move all my crap over to my new PC (which might take a while). Will report back.

I've been looking through the HP forum and I don't like it as much as the XPS forum. It's fragmented, especially with regards to the many Spectre versions out there. There's a lot more instructive guides/threads regarding clean installs, dealing with thermal throttling, troubleshooting known issues, etc with the XPS models.