940XM Worth

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Taxifare, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Taxifare

Taxifare Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I am considering an upgrade for my M15X CPU. I'm wondering is it really worth it to upgrade 720QM to 940XM or isit just a slight insignificant boost?

And what temperature would I be expecting on idle and on load, whether it is on OC or stock clocks. (Using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut since I have extras)

I do occasionally run programs that are single core for work.

Thanks!

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It really depends on what you're doing.If you want to go for a 940XM you probably need to remove the centerpin to make it not throttle.

temps depend on heatsink fit, thermal paste and fan profile

3. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes a large performance jump. 720qm does 1.73ghz across 4 cores 940xm is unlocked.

Under stock cooling and power supply you can still overclock to 3ghz on 4 cores.

If you go for a beefier power supply eg 240w (delta) or 210w(dell) then you will have to potential to hit 3.3-3.7ghz 4 cores.

Also throttling only concerns the gpu. The cpu will never throttle if it has enough power and heat is under 99C. It will pull power to whatever is limiting it; heat, power supply etc. Yes I have tested this.

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah I forgot that the M15X prioritizes the CPU over the GPU. It will throttle the GPU instead, which still isn't desirable. So when going for a 940XM and having a 100W+ GPU, removing the centerpin is a must.

5. King of Interns

Reputations:
    If you overclock it (which is certain these days to game) yes absolutely a gaming power supply with center pin removed is critical.

Keep original 150w psu for charging purposes or normal use.

I would also avoid those right angle tip adaptors they can melt under heavy usage. This was a good idea back in the day but time proved us wrong.

triturbo likes this.
  6. Taxifare

Reputations:
  7. Taxifare

Reputations:

.3.3-3.7ghz on 4 cores, roughly what temperature will I be looking at?

8. Taxifare

Reputations:
    My heatsinks and fans are on stock. Thermal paste I still have a spare Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut in my cupboard.

9. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Yes 940xm will work fine. 240W is fine. What GPU do you have. If you plan to overclock the cpu heavily power draw will be such that pulling the center pin on your 240W will be necessary. This will eliminate any GPU throttling. Just get a small pair of pliers and pull the pin out. You will then no longer be able to charge the battery with it so keep the original 150W for this purpose.

Heat will be high under load. I would recommend propping back of laptop up to ensure very good airflow, clean out the vents, heatsinks and fans to make sure they are free of dust. Also regarding overclocking the cpu you will need to test in increments. Some chips can handle 3.3ghz others more with the limit at around 3.7ghz on stock voltage. At these clockspeeds the cpu will run at 85-95C under load but this is totally fine. Nehalem 45nm chips are incredibily robust so you can run them at 100% load at up to 99C with no issues.

If you hit 100C then the machine will shut off so to keep an eye on this.

10. Taxifare

Reputations:
    I'm running GTX 860m for my GPU. Ordered a piece. Hopefully it worth the money paid. Thanks!