9370 coil whine confirmed

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by yzs, Jan 26, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    My dell RMAs are usually 5-7 days when I have to ship stuff to them, or next day if they have premium support (but then again I usually have to fix everything those dorks mess up).

don_svetlio likes this.
  2. custom90gt

Reputations:
  3. irev210

irev210 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'd say that is mostly attributed to the way they have the fan profile setup, which, in real world usage makes sense. The cold heatpipe can take a fair amount of load for about 15 seconds before it becomes heat soaked and the temp spikes. After that, the fans start to ramp and then the temps settle.

If you just pull a constant load of 24w, you can see that it hovers around 3GHz steady. In gaming scenarios where you don't pull the full 100%, you can get 3.5ghz+ - that's pretty unbelievable out of a laptop this size.

The only reason why I care is because I use eGPU, so CPU performance in a portable is very important to me.

Otherwise, the HP Spectre 13-ae x360 is a nicer machine in just about every way. I'd recommend anyone that doesn't use this for eGPU get that. It's a better price, better value, and an extremely well built machine (the 13-ae with kabylake-r, not the prior gen).

The XPS 13 is just a beast for allowing the TDP that it does; it just destroys the competition in that regard but the compromise is really wonky fan controls. The HP fan profiles are much better tuned and MUCH MUCH quieter.

daniellejorge and pau1ow like this.
  4. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks -- very informative!

Was looking at this Spectre 13-ae x360 over the weekend, fairly impressed, only problem is people seem to complain about quite bad coil whine there as well :(

5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Yeah, I read that but the cynic in me thinks it might be UPS's fault. It just makes no sense - error code 00 usually refers to no CPU detected so the socket was likely the issue - that or the CMOS got messed up and needed fixing. In any case, service centres that handle OEM RMAs get paid per each fulfilled RMA (at least in europe) so them ruining a product is basically nonsensical since they don't get paid at all if they do that but get a decent sum for fixing the board and returning it to the user. So yeah, I am more inclined to believe UPS dropped it or someone from UPS decided to **** with the OP (we've seen some pretty wacky stories from delivery services so it wouldn't surprise me)

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    UPS dropping a motherboard with the slot cover on wouldn't damage the cpu pins. Service centers here get paid to fix a product and send it back, in this case they want extra money from this user to fix the pins that are now magically bent. Also in looking at photos it may be an entirely different board. Either way in dealing with Asus I have no doubts in their inability to do their jobs.

*on edit* looks like an asus rep saw that thread and contacted the poster asking him to remove his pictures. Something shady is going down, my guess is they realized they were busted and had to "make it right" with the customer. Hah for sure never buying another Asus product again.

Anyway sorry I totally derailed this thread. I'm curious if the new 9370 users are having coil wine? Also curious if anyone has done some undervolting and maybe a repaste...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    In this case - I fee like a full consumer protection bureau investigation is required. I've been around long enough to not believe everyone's story but I've also seen my fair share of malpractice by companies so it's time authorities got involved. In any case, this won't really change my opinion on anything.

8. MDX18

MDX18 Newbie

Reputations:
    Too much noise and degraded performance because of the heat, just sent it back. Coming from Windows 7, I found Windows 10 to be somehow better, but it still sucks, after a couple of weeks of use it was already starting to get slow for no reason. Gonna give the Macbook Pro a try.

don_svetlio likes this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good luck MDX...that is way slower than the xps.

10. monty47

monty47 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: