9370 coil whine confirmed

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by yzs, Jan 26, 2018.

1. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    More update.

Not having any of this, and escalated the problem to one of their supervisors, who said and I quote "on this particular machine, i.e., the 9370, we have not had any reports of coil whine what-so-ever, so unless you sent us a video showing the problem, we can not go ahead with the exchange"

So either I am the only unlucky one with coil whine here, or Dell is telling a lie!! Anyhow, will just have to be a refund and never Dell again.

pressing likes this.
  2. aj84

aj84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to add my 2 cents - No issues here either.
    I got mine a week ago and I have 0 coil-whine. The only noise I heard was when I closed the lid on standby while on charge, the charger block was emitting a high-pitch sound but that also just vanished.

3. irev210

irev210 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't believe that. I would recommend just returning and rebuying. My first unit had a bad fan but I purchased from the microsoft store, so I just did an in-store exchange. I've gathered that Dell has the absolute worst support in the world so I'll avoid them at all costs.

That being said, I like the fact that the 9370 can pull a full 24w, so this is by far and away the fastest kaby lake-r laptop on the market.

I would really recommend HP if you are interested in good service, I've had a few HP laptops in the past and the service was always exceptional. Once getting past level 1 support, the US-based support was always exceptional.

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Then you haven't experienced Asus, Razer, or Gigabyte, lol. The only thing keeping me from picking up an Aero is the support that comes along with it...

5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Honestly, I've kinda come to accept that there are poor experience with any brand - the only real exception where it's worse than others is Razer.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Considering that results in 90+ *C under heavy load and fan noise alongside rather unstable clocks due to the thermals, I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing. The performance fluctuates a LOT. So you're going to get high thermals and noise alongside unstable clockspeeds. I'd say a 15W limit would have meant lower performance but stable clockspeed, quiet operation and temps under 80*C - which is desirable in an ultrabook imo.
    https://screenshots.firefox.com/SWHvZlPlasyr90Nj/www.notebookcheck.net
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/6/3/csm_stresscpu111_205ff046b8.png
    https://screenshots.firefox.com/gRbNq3zpObr4EAks/www.notebookcheck.net

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I've had crazy terrible experiences with all three. I've waited for 9 months for an Asus motherboard for a customer, and 3 months for a gigabyte laptop for a customer, lol. That's with calling often and trying to pressure them into actually taking care of the customer. I have had less than stellar dealings with Dell, but nothing quite like the craziness of the Asus or Gigabyte.

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Correct me if wrong but that should not be even possible? In the EU the consumer protection laws can be evoked if an RMA takes longer than a month and you can just get a refund. Additionally, service centres here are paid for each repaired RMAed device meaning the service centre only gets paid when RMAs go through. I don't understand why the US and UK systems are so broken.

9. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I mean not only is it possible, but it's pretty normal in my experience in the US. I wish I would have kept my RMA tracker from work but my guess is my average wait time for Asus RMAs was probably 2-3 months, Gigabyte 1-2 months, and my limited experience with Razer was probably similar (when they wanted to acknowledge the problem existed).

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Meanwhile, in eastern europe Lenovo and Asus take 6-7 days and you don't even have to call. Dell took about 14 but that was a wonky monitor so I can excuse them.